Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for meeting notes app

Looking for meeting notes app
wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 01:20 AM

I'm looking for an application to take notes during meetings and conference calls.

One feature I'd like is for the entries to be date and timestamped as I enter them...i.e.

10/26/03 16:40: Called Joe and asked about project

10/26/03 16:49: Joe called back, said he has it nder control

Etc, etc.

Has anyone seen an app like this?

Thanks,

Wade

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 03:32 PM

How did you go on this Wade?

I sort of like the look of the Notes View in Office 2004 but was wondering if there was anything else....
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 04:30 PM

In Word, you can go to the "Insert" menu on the menu bar and click "Date and Time"

That will do what you want.

Maybe there is an AppleScript that would let you do this with TextEdit.

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 05:53 PM

Actually, not sure about the other guy but what I was after was software that was designed specifically around taking notes in either a lecture or a meeting. Not just word processing as it is a slightly different way of working.

I guess that is what MS realised when they put the new features in Word 2004. Thing is, knowing MS they would have copied this from something else. Thought that something else might have been a Mac package....

mark2
Jan 13, 2004, 06:00 PM

I know two apps I would use for this. The first is called Idea Knot, it's free. It won't do the dates and time but it's perfect for writing a series oc quick notes, each in it's own little partition. It would be easy enough to put the date in the file name.

The second app is called iData Pro. With it, you can set up field based or freeform datafiles and there is a keystroke to add the date and time (a Preference choice). Idata has a great search feature, too. If you know a fragment of the text you're searching for, iData will find the record for you. You can set up as many datafiles as you need, and the app is extremely flexible.

There's a demo available. The author is presently rewriting the entire app and the new version should be ready soon, we hope.

http://www.coastalfog.net/idata/idata_main.html

This should meet your needs well, using Word for this is like using a Howitzer to hunt for sparrows.

mark2
Jan 13, 2004, 06:28 PM

Just came back to make a quick correction: Idea Knot does have a keystroke combo to add the date and time.

This FREE app might be perfect for your meeting notes. It's fun to use and you can move quickly from one entry to the next. And the exported text is neatly arranged and easy to read.

http://www.stayatplay.com/ideaknot/tips.php

Dr_Doom
Jan 14, 2004, 03:40 PM

I use OmniOutliner for my meeting notes. I don't timestamp them, but it's prolly an applescriptesque sort of a thing.

I like it because it allows me to easily categorize subject of the meeting and items discussed thereunder.

The export options also make it pretty handy to have around.

fwiw.

Cheers,

Dr_Doom

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 04:15 PM

Dr Doom,

You wouldn't happen to have a template you can share here.

Have just downloaded the trial version of OmniOutliner and would like to hit the ground running.

Cheers,

Jordan

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 05:14 PM

You should really check out NoteBook which is ideal for this sort of thing and much much more. All entries have a date created and date modified info as well as being able to insert date and or time stamps into the run of text. Plus voice annotation. It also looks like MS has once again been "inspired" by others with for the new notebook layout in Word 2004.

NoteBook is a great app to leave open all the time to clip text to pre-set pages from nearly any app via Services and contextual menu.

Highly recommend you check out the demo and give it a whirl.

One very satisfied customer.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 05:24 PM

A great app for this is StickyBrain . It holds all your notes in a database file that is time-stamped, can be categorized and is fully searchable. Plus, you can capture text from any app simply by hitting a keystroke.

It was a freebie if you had a .Mac account a few months ago, but I don't believe it's free anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules