Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod in ear headphones use upside down?

ipod in ear headphones use upside down?
NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2004, 08:39 PM

I discovered that my new ipod in ear headphones fit amazingly well when they are upside down! Forgive me if that the way you are SUPPOSED to wear them...but I had NO idea?!?!?
There is no pic of the phones in an actual ear anywhere on the site or the package...so how is one supposed to know? Also...the L and R are printed right side up...as is the pic on the package!!!!!
If you havent tried this...do it.
When upside down...the fit is amazing and the sound is superbly rich!
G
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 02:30 AM

maybe they meant for the cable to loop up and over your ears.

NYGEO18  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
maybe they meant for the cable to loop up and over your ears.
Thats how I wear them...its awesome.
1000 times better.
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 06:24 PM

"in ear" headpohones? I have a 2nd generation 10 gig with headphones that go in my ear... but something tells me that these headphones only come with the newer iPods... Eh?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 08:00 PM

You have buy them seperately. This includes the newer ipods and ipod mini.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 08:01 PM

The ear bud headphones that came with my 2 year old 10GB iPod don't even fit in upside down, so it must be with the newer models only. I wish mine would fit a little tighter to get that better sound.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 08:10 PM

The headphones that normally come with iPods are called earbuds. The most popular new style of headphones are in-ear style, since they combine the portability of earbuds with (just about) the sound quality of large, bulky 'phones.

The point of in-ear headphones is to try the different size caps, and stick the darn things ALL the way in your ear so create a really good seal. This blocks out background noise and "locks the sound" straight into your eardrum.
Have you tried playing around with the different caps?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
The headphones that normally come with iPods are called earbuds. The most popular new style of headphones are in-ear style, since they combine the portability of earbuds with (just about) the sound quality of large, bulky 'phones.

The point of in-ear headphones is to try the different size caps, and stick the darn things ALL the way in your ear so create a really good seal. This blocks out background noise and "locks the sound" straight into your eardrum.
Have you tried playing around with the different caps?
Ah, so you can blow your ear drums out faster than ever? Hah, I walked into work this morning blasting some sick metal and one of the front desk attendants asked me if that was really my music that she was hearing when I took my headphones off. I have a pretty loud sound system in my car too... As much as I'd love to get some better sound in my ears... I am afraid it's probably not such a good idea...

I'll stick with my Ear buds for now... I guess.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

parkds
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 11:41 PM

One of the benefits of the in-ear style headphones is that you don't need to listen to them as loudly as earbuds, for example. This is because because the sound is closer to your ear and that the earphones block out a lot of outside noise.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by parkds:
One of the benefits of the in-ear style headphones is that you don't need to listen to them as loudly as earbuds, for example. This is because because the sound is closer to your ear and that the earphones block out a lot of outside noise.
The blocking outside noise thing can be a disadvantage too. i.e. they're pretty crap for running, walking around in the street etc, because they cut out all ambient noise, which means you simply don't hear cars etc. Otherwise I agree, the sound quality is

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 01:29 AM

Indeed, I like being able to hear other things while using my iPod.

BUT...

The in-ear headphones sound like they might work good on airplanes!

Don't think I'd pay $40 to get them, but if my current earbuds die that could be a good replacement.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 07:26 AM

I am thinking of getting a pair of these. My wife's dog ate my ear buds

How do they sound compared to the ear buds?

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
I am thinking of getting a pair of these. My wife's dog ate my ear buds

How do they sound compared to the ear buds?
See this thread.

Compared to the ear buds the in ear from Apple are better in terms of fit, the sound is marginally better. I would go for the Sony EX-71 (Link). In you are in the market for in ear.

DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 05:34 PM

I just bought these headphones today, because they were advertised about better bass response and I liked the idea that they won't hurt my ears because of the way they are designed. Well, when i first put them on and heard the sound I was very disappointed. They didn't sound any better than the earbud ones that came with the ipod. They felt better but that's about it. Now when I read your post here, which Im glad I did, They sound soo much better. I put them in upside down and it's a lot better! Thanks guys...

Originally posted by NYGEO18:
I discovered that my new ipod in ear headphones fit amazingly well when they are upside down! Forgive me if that the way you are SUPPOSED to wear them...but I had NO idea?!?!?
There is no pic of the phones in an actual ear anywhere on the site or the package...so how is one supposed to know? Also...the L and R are printed right side up...as is the pic on the package!!!!!
If you havent tried this...do it.
When upside down...the fit is amazing and the sound is superbly rich!
G
DakRT

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 02:09 AM

Hi.

I go through headphones like mad so I'm glad this thread showed up here.

The original Apple iPod earbuds are way to freaking huge for any human to wear comfortably. They were shrill and just not so fun to listen to.

The second generation (about the time the PC version of the iPod showed up) was slightly better but still awful in terms of fit. You'd have to turn it way up to get anything remotely good. They were slightly thinner than the original which were grotesquely huge.

About that time I found out about minidisco.com and their importing of the Sony Japan MDR-70EX nude earbuds. Fantastic sound. I've been thru two pairs of these those and they were expensive. The first lost a channel - the second was a christmas gift and they got lost on a business trip. Grrrr.....

I ordered the Apple buds figuring they were an Apple knock-off of the Sony buds at a cheaper price (me unaware of the new domestic version of the MDR70EX). The largest gaskets on these new buds are still a tad too small although if I press them in they work fine - they just didn't feel 100% secure, maybe 96-97%. My guess was using the huge buds all these months stretched out my ear holes!

The sound was superb on the new Apple in-ear if they were placed in my ears just so. If they loosened the bass receded. It was like the medium size gasket was way too small and the large one was just a millimeter too small. It was so close. I've been using those since I received these.

But:
Tonight I tried what someone recommended here and placed the medium sized gasket from my dead Sony MDR70EX on the Apple in-ear hones and lo and behold - fantastic fit and superlative sound.

I now see that Sony is bringing the successor to the MDR70EX buds to the USA so that's great news. I tried every earbud/headphone $100 and below and they all were horrible - this from a musician/engineer/avid enthusiast listener. I'm very critical and can't imagine how anyone could listen to the garbage that's out there these days.

Etymotic would be great but I have a budget t think of...heh.

If you have small to medium sized earholes the Apple buds will be fine. If you have larger earholes the Sony's might be up your alley.

Still, the Apple buds will probably work for most people - if not, the Sony is your 'phone.

As for putting them in upside down? I tried - how do you do that without hurting yourself?
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Jan 18, 2004 at 02:19 AM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 12:51 PM

Tried it again (upside down) and it worked although I get a marginally better seal in the correct direction with the Apple gaskets. I'm sort of hesitant to bring the Sony gaskets on the Apple phones out into the world lest they be lost. For now the big ones will do the trick.

schuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 12:26 PM

LOL i'm a big dork... and it's first thing monday morning...

i read this thread and promptly turned by earbuds upside down, wrapping the cord around my ears. it doesn't work super awesome.

i would agree that the big earbuds have stretched my ears - they used to fit much tighter!
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the tip - listening to Deep Purple now and it sounds great. Much better bass than I've gotten yet, outside my old Koss Pro4AAAA's. Feels a little wierd, but for better sound, it's worth it.

Z

spiraliv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 07:47 PM

I ordered a pair of earphones, recently. The company site has a detailed guide on how to wear and clean them and SO-ON AND SO-FORTH.
http://www.shure.com/earphones/howto.asp

natan
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by Todd Madson:
I now see that Sony is bringing the successor to the MDR70EX buds to the USA so that's great news. I tried every earbud/headphone $100 and below and they all were horrible - this from a musician/engineer/avid enthusiast listener. I'm very critical and can't imagine how anyone could listen to the garbage that's out there these days
Have you tried Shure's sub-$100 popular earbud, the Shure E2/E2C?

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 11:04 AM

Please forgive me if I'm being stupid...

I judt got my in ear headphones today, and I have read this thread about using them upside down...

Is it like this you use them? Because they seem to fall out of my ear all the time when i wear them like that.

Or is there some magic trick I yet have to discover ?

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Jens Peter:
Please forgive me if I'm being stupid...

I judt got my in ear headphones today, and I have read this thread about using them upside down...

Is it like this you use them? Because they seem to fall out of my ear all the time when i wear them like that.

Or is there some magic trick I yet have to discover ?
Those are not the in-ear headphones..those are the ear buds.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Those are not the in-ear headphones..those are the ear buds.
No, just got them today - it is the 'In-Ear Headphones'.. I can show you a picture of the open box if you like...

But, is that the way you are suposed to wear them?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2004, 07:39 PM

Anyone have experience with the Sennheiser MX500s? They are also in-ear, and are pretty well rated by the guys at Head-Fi.org, but they're only $16 so I wonder at the quality. I just got glasses and my clip-on Koss KSC-50s, however great they sound, are pretty uncomfortable now.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

natan
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Anyone have experience with the Sennheiser MX500s? They are also in-ear, and are pretty well rated by the guys at Head-Fi.org, but they're only $16 so I wonder at the quality. I just got glasses and my clip-on Koss KSC-50s, however great they sound, are pretty uncomfortable now.
The MX-500's are of a different class than the Apple In-Ear Headphones. Namely, the Apple ones are canalphones (you stick them into your ear canal), but the MX-500's are not (you use them like the stock Apple Earbuds that come with the iPod).

MjP2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
The Sennheisers are more like the stock phones that come with the iPod, i.e. not in-ear type. The sound quality, especially when bass is considered, is IMHO much better than with the Apple stock ear buds. Too bad the Senns look so awful...

I'm looking for new in-ear plugs to be used when listening to my iPod outdoors as the Sennheisers don't block any ambient noices. I've read some positive (and some negative) reviews of Kosh's The Plug and would like to know if somebody here has experience and could compare those with new Apple in-ears. You see, I'd rather have white than black phones...
ibook 500 'Matilda'

J-tech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 04:30 PM

Hey guys whassup? I'm new on this forum but I read this thread and a couple others before I decided to buy the new in-ear headphones. Everything said on there is true and I found a couple other problems with it too. There's a lot of static on the cord itself and anything that hits it makes a thud in your ear. As for the problem for the fit, you don't have to wear them upside down, I just twisted the ear pads around as if they were upside down and it fit perfectly in my ears and I got the best bass response yet. Try it and let me know if it works for you. Also I had to change the ear pads to find the perfect fit.
"All vices issue from idleness" so get off your lazy a$$ and do something with your free time.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 05:53 PM

I returned mine the week after. Could not get them to fit, they kept falling out when I was riding my bike, walking or sitting on the bus.

Now I'm back with the original ones that came with my iPod.

If they fit you, thats great! i guess my ears are wired...

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2004, 07:57 PM

If they fit you, thats great! i guess my ears are wired...
If your ears were wired, you wouldn't need these headphones, eh?

Don

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 08:38 PM

Well, this is good news for me since I just ordered my iPod mini with these headphones. I will test it out to see which way gives me the best sounds.
But it's too bad my iPod mini won't be shipped On or Before March 2nd...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

mgescuro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 10:12 PM

I've used the Sony Fontopia in-ear earphones for quite a long time. The audio and bass response from them are quite amazing.
best of all, they block out about 80-90% of ambient noise (even without the sound-cancelling feature, which doubles the price) because they mold to the ear.

They're perfect for a noisy gym or an airplane. And the cord goes around the neck, so when you pull out the ear pieces, they can hang on your neck w/o finding a safe spot for them.

I wonder what the audio range is on the Apple In ear headphones is compared to the Sony Fontopias.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 09:33 PM

i used to use the Sony fontopias, but i switched to the Shure E2c's. the Shure's absolutely blow away the Sony's, and are actually quite sonically compatible with my Grado's. i hated the Shure silicon pads, and was irritated with the foamies getting dirty so quickly. what i did was strip the plastic barrel out of the foamies and stretched the sony fontopia medium pads over it. this seals great and sounds great while being totally comfortable and reuseable. for anyone who gets Shure's, remember that they are designed to seal towards the outer edge of the canal, not deep inside like Etymotic's.

Gargio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 06:23 PM

I bought some apple in ear headphones about 2 weeks ago and for the 1st week i didnt want to take them out of my ears! The sound was so superior to the ear buds i was amazed. But at the start of this week they began to play up! My origional set up was a medium earpiece in the left headphone and a small earpiece in the right headphone. The problem began with the right ear phone. The sound changed all of a sudden (overnight not while was listening). The volume in the right earphone became very low and the sound was very muffled. At first i thought this was because of a reccuring ear infection i get only in my right ear but a few days later the right ear became ok again but the problem switched to my left ear. Again the sound was very muffled and the volume low. It sounds like G-Unit are playing in the right hemisphere of my head but not the left! It felt at first like the problem was being caused by the medium sized earpiece so i changed it to smal but to no avail. Please help me i dont want to pay �30 for headpfones that dont work properly + my origional earbuds are busted!! (P.S - ive tried them upside down + the sound evens out but is still muffled and the volume is low)
"I cant complain what an accident did to my left eye....coz look what an accident did to left eye."

Forum Links
Forum Rules