Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Ann] OWC / Unsanity ShapeShifter Contest

[Ann] OWC / Unsanity ShapeShifter Contest
brianwilson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 03:07 PM

Warm up your pixel placing, color caressing, shape shifting minds!

We are throwing some rewards for themers into the mix.

Cash and prizes totaling over a grand are up for grabs.

Check out the details at :

http://www.unsanity.com/contest.php

P.S. Thanks to OWC for sponsorship! Check them out if you get a minute. Other World Computing
( Last edited by brianwilson; Dec 17, 2003 at 03:44 PM. )

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 04:14 PM

BBX should enter omega...

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 04:24 PM

Aw man, you had to go and up the ante. Guess I better get going on Digital Device!

By the way, great idea.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 04:28 PM

Yeah, digital device is pretty hot, you DESERVE a prize for it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 04:36 PM

Cool, I should try and push on with one of my themes and enter it.
click one

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 04:44 PM

Sounds cool. I've been doodling on (and have started building) a Chrome theme, based on the Apple logo in the Panther About This Mac box. I guess I'll try to get that done

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 05:04 PM

This contest is great news, but a little puzzling in its details...

I'm currently working on a theme with all custom widgets; to be presented in a guiKit package that offers various color schemes (and slightly different widgets for each color scheme). The major benefit of the theme will be all the choices offered; representing a huge amount of work and was part of the plan from the very beginning. The rules of this contest preclude entering a guiKit package for consideration. I can certainly enter each variation as a separate theme, and have each one judged on its own merit; but the totality of my vision cannot be judged. That's a shame.

Another issue (that I've emailed Unsanity about) is that they don't specify which version of ShapeShifter will be used for this contest. Since they've already said that v1.1 will be out relatively soon, with expanded functionality; it might mean that themers will have to wait to work on new themes until right before the contest deadline.

Just when you thought you could take a break from all the hours sitting in front of the computer and enjoy the holidays... Oh well, it wasn't likely that I'd really turn the Mac off anyway!!!

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
BBX should enter omega...
Nah... that wouldn't be fair Omega uses some unnanounced SS 1.1 features which might give me an edge - besides, I've already got a bristling 500+ GB of fast storage thrumming away in my machine... don't really need more storage right now (although these OWC FW 800 drives are sweeeeeet-ass, I just don't need one - If it were an iPod or a new laptop to replace my battered TiBook with a bleeding battery tho', I'd be in there in a second).

I think this is an excellent idea!
Personally, I think we should have annual year-end Theme-Of-The-Year awards with online voting similar to PixelPalooza.

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 06:15 PM

Brian from Unsanity responded to my email (amazingly quickly!) about which version of ShapeShifter would be used for this contest:
the current one!

He also hinted that a future contest would be held; utilizing the amazing new features said to be upcoming in this wonderful program.

This contest has me really excited. I had begun to tire of playing with a pixel here and a pixel there; in order to create a theme both interesting and usable for everyday computer use. Even the chance of winning a cool prize is helping to re-energize me. Now, instead of settling for good-enough-'cause-I'm-sick-of-it; I'll strive for pixel perfection (or as perfect as my meagre talents allow!).

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 08:13 PM

is there anything special you need to do to uninstall themepark? before i start instlaling everything

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 08:14 PM

This contest is a great way to increase interest in theming on the Mac platform. I'm looking forward to seeing what the themers will come up with.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
This contest is a great way to increase interest in theming on the Mac platform. I'm looking forward to seeing what the themers will come up with.
not to mention is just good business on unsanitys part. now there will be lots more themes for SS. cool. good ideas are the ones where everyone wins.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
I think this is an excellent idea!
Personally, I think we should have annual year-end Theme-Of-The-Year awards with online voting similar to PixelPalooza.
Ya that would kick ass!
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Ya that would kick ass!
I think we would have a chance with you know which and I think you should give me whatever you have done in illustrator and i can help it along and get it going. we need to get that one out and win...

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 04:29 AM

While we're at it, check out The Incredible ShapeShifter Giveaway at http://www.macmonkies.com/. Win a DVD player, The Hulk, and free ShapeShifter registrations. Happy Holidays, themers!

dws, I think you make a good point regarding variants. I'll see if we can drop that clause in the rules.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 08:46 AM

This is awesome news. That means there are going to be a lot of themers working hard for the next month. And that also means, in a months time, we will have a bunch of brand new themes out there hopefully. What a great way to get new people into theming also. Wow, this is awesome. I better get started on mine.

solidfox
Dec 18, 2003, 10:01 AM

What a pain...now I'll have to hurry...

But...shouldn't they upgrade shapeshifter first so all these new themes could take advantage of the 1.1 features?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 18, 2003, 05:10 PM

I think this contest is great!
I'm tinkering with a theme concept, but I rather wait and see where ShapeShifter evolves before I make a new theme, so I'm going to pass on this contest.
Hopefully many other people will take a chance and make some cool themes!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I think we would have a chance with you know which and I think you should give me whatever you have done in illustrator and i can help it along and get it going. we need to get that one out and win...
Ya I guess you could have the hard drive, I've got 200Gig in my tower already... though a portable drive would be cool for school. We'll have to fight over it I guess.

As for the theme I'll polish off the mockup and start putting the elements into photoshop over the weekend. I want to do the 2 title bar variations, it should be easy since they would be the same theme with different titlebar.
It should be a killer theme...
click one

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 10:17 PM

my god themepark is a bit too intimidating for me to start now

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
my god themepark is a bit too intimidating for me to start now
While it is true that the shear number of widgets that need to be modified make one cringe in horror, I think that you'll find that the ThemePark editor's layout lends itself to efficient workflow; as long as you have some degree of proficiency using Photoshop. The only thing I wish were part of TP would be a preview of the current widget. It's amazing how much time is lost simply seeing if you like the affect of your latest brainchild (or, perhaps, I should school myself to stop clicking on that darned button so often; asking myself: "Is it cool yet?").

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I think this contest is great!
I'm tinkering with a theme concept, but I rather wait and see where ShapeShifter evolves before I make a new theme, so I'm going to pass on this contest.
Hopefully many other people will take a chance and make some cool themes!

Max, you don't have to enter - you get the "lifetime achievement award" anyway!!

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Max, you don't have to enter - you get the "lifetime achievement award" anyway!!
Yeah really, Max. You and Swiz and BBX, all of you guys that are "master themers", you're the best. The only reason I can theme is because of you, both literally and mentally. For example, I could've burned out by now on my theme, but I keep saying to myself, "Hey, if Max had the guts to do all of this..." or "If Swiz got all of this right..." or "If I can make this .01% as cool as OMEGA�..." .

This ought to be a really close contest then...we have lots of new themes on the horizon! Good luck to everyone!

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 04:09 PM

In all fairness....... I don't think Max, Swiz or BBX (though he has never released a theme on OS X) should be eligible for the contest. We all know they have incredible talent and I think this contest should be held to discover/encourage new themers............

Plus, they were a part of the development of "SS" which should automatically make them ineligible.

I'm not trying to offend anybody, I would just like to see an even playing field.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2003, 04:26 PM

i agree, theres no incentive in entering the compo if youve never done a theme before and the people who are basically the best in the world at it are entering

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 19, 2003, 05:22 PM

Thanks guy's, it's nice to hear that you are best in the world at something..

Anyway, it seems that both me and BBX are passing on this contest, and I don't think Swiz is interested either. So it's all clear for new themers I think

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 11:45 PM

I don't agree with Lord Sith & sushlism. Anybody who wants to should be encouraged to participate.

I am working on my first real theme (Ruby doesn't really count, since it was little more than a colorization of Apple's widgets) and plan to enter it in the contest (it's called Boxi - and this is the only teaser you'll get!). I would be proud to have it get nothing more than an honorable mention (ie; good try, but no prize!) while established themers walked away with the goodies.

The more themes available to the Mac community the better all our lives will be. If a contest helps encourage everyone to stare for hours on end at itzy-bitzy images magnified 1600%; then all the better! Nobody, no matter how skilled they might be, should be discouraged from participating.

my 2 cents

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 12:12 AM

I think what Lord Sith & sushlism were trying to say is that Max, Swiz, and BBX are "elite" themers; they're in on ShapeShifter, they know everything, they're the best. There's no problem with that, we wouldn't be here if it weren't for them. However, because of this, they have an apparent upper hand in such a contest since they've proven their excellence. Therefore, it gives newer themers that have a vision without a following a chance.

Uh, my two cents are free?

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2003, 09:59 AM

well in a perfect world they would probably be the judges

quandarry
Dec 20, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
and BBX are "elite" themers
Uh, my two cents are free?
a little history lesson for you...BBX has never done a theme for x.

ps: what about Takashi Izawa and Butt O'Sigh, they have taken theming mac os x to it's absolute limit and beyond with Enhancer!

what are they whom everyone follows?
( Last edited by quandarry; Dec 20, 2003 at 01:25 PM. )

quandarry
Dec 20, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
well in a perfect world they would probably be the judges
well i hope it's not a perfect world!

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 12:34 PM

So...

[putting aside quandarry's oddly negative comments}

Who is going to judge this contest?

And...

What criteria will be used?

Aesthetics are a hard thing to judge (as we've all seen from the comments made about the various SS guiKit themes to date). Will the most dramatically-different theme win the day; or will usability be the standard? Many themes look really cool in mockup form, but represent a jarring user experience (some of the coolest themes tend to be dark, but most windows include large areas of white; leading to a tiring user experience - or, what looks good in theory, makes all the little buttons in application like Photoshop almost impossible to see).

There's a reason why Apple has chosen its neutral white/grey striped background (getting more neutral with each new release!). Even the widgets have been toned down considerably.

I don't envy the judges. It is likely that whatever they decide, people will complain.

timdorr
Dec 20, 2003, 07:15 PM

Well, now I have incentive to get Cel Shaded out the door faster

Edit: "Unsanity will hold all submissions until after the deadline. Authors are encouraged to do so also, but are free to release previews and teasers as they see fit."

Huh? I can't released it until AFTER the contest? What about an incomplete beta? :/

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Huh? I can't released it until AFTER the contest? What about an incomplete beta? :/
I think that this advisory was put in place because it is so easy to copy a guiKit once you have it installed; leaving some unscrupulous person the ability to steal all your hard work and enter it in the contest as their own.

There is currently no way for a guiKit author to permanently (and indelibly) sign their work.

brianwilson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by dws:
So...

Who is going to judge this contest?

And...

What criteria will be used?

I don't envy the judges. It is likely that whatever they decide, people will complain.
The process will involve the users. We haven't finalized it yet, but we envision it will be something along the lines of a combination of download count and a user voting system.

We're striving to make it as fair as possible, and the best way we know to do that is to leave it up to the masses.

brianwilson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Well, now I have incentive to get Cel Shaded out the door faster

Edit: "Unsanity will hold all submissions until after the deadline. Authors are encouraged to do so also, but are free to release previews and teasers as they see fit."

The key word there is "submissions". Unsanity will hold everything submitted to us until after the deadline. We'll then open up a contest gallery page with previews and downloads of all the submissions along with the voting system.

For various reasons, we encourage authors to not release before the deadline also. But that is totally up to you of course.

brianwilson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2003, 03:32 PM

A few other things to note:

1 - We agreed with feedback, and so we changed the rule about submitting multiple variants as separate themes. Submit them as one theme.

2 - We're thinking of extending the deadline. We've had several requests for it. How about we push all the dates back 2 weeks?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Rants?

feel free to email me directly. brian at unsanity

timdorr
Dec 23, 2003, 03:19 AM

I think a deadline pushback would be a good idea. OSX theming is involved, and given the timeframe you're talking about, it would be hard for someone to conceive, create, and refine a complete theme for a contest so quickly.

Also, I see about the submissions idea now. I wasn't sure if prior publishing invalidating my submission from participating in the contest. I'd like to get the bugs out with a live audience first

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 08:54 AM

Yep, delaying the deadline is goods news. That might allow some of us to submit more than one theme...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 04:06 PM

About the concept of some kind of voting system used to (partially) determine the winners of the contest...

I suppose that the democratic ideal has merit, but carries with it some pitfalls. Creating a system that allows for only one vote per individual is hard to accomplish. If some measures are not taken to avoid the ballot box being stuffed, Unsanity might find itself in the difficult position of placing laurel wreaths on the heads of people who weren't actually the most popular; or the most deserving. Also, it would be a shame if the days leading up to the contest were filled with campaigns, rather than people simply working on creating the best theme they can.

An alternate proposal:: Setting up a panel of individuals who are experienced in theme creation who would judge the aesthetic, technical and practical aspects of each theme would also work wonderfully; and would eliminate all of the possible headaches associated with the 'democratic' approach. Or, if you feel that you simply must allow the great unwashed to voice their opinions, the panel's findings could be used alongside a primitive voting/downloading count.

timdorr
Dec 24, 2003, 03:11 AM

I don't see how there can be "experts" in the field of personal opinion. One theme I hate might be another's treasure; it's a matter of personal taste.

I say there should just be a public vote. You can do something with emails: Someone votes and submits an email addy, and then you can send them a link to verify that vote and confirm their email address. Then it's a simple matter of checking the winner for any "ballot stuffing" by looking for a lot of similar email addresses from one particular IP address.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2003, 10:32 AM

I just scanned this thread so I don't know if this has been answered... but, is unsanity.com going to have an actual theme page with user submitted theme downloads and previews?

If so, are they going to accept any other submissions by people like me and post them on the theme page? (Like Panic.com has a skin archive hosting all the skins that people have submitted to them) Because if you DID do something like that, it would rock. I would have my #1 place to find themes on the net (unlike Resexcellence, but they're kinda slow on updating themes). Plus, having an archive of themes will bring more traffic to your site, and influence more people to make themes. (Remember how Kaleidoscope.net took off? There were new themes practically every day! That's because theming was safe and easy back then, and now it's safer than ever and easy enough to do with ThemePark.

I wish Unsanity good luck (they won't need it) and have a happy Christmas holiday!

brianwilson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
I just scanned this thread so I don't know if this has been answered... but, is unsanity.com going to have an actual theme page with user submitted theme downloads and previews?
Without going in to detail, yes, we will have a download page complete with previews. Lots of fun stuff planned for the future...

brianwilson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 02:58 PM

Due to requests from theme authors participating in the Unsanity and OWC Theme Contest, we're announcing an extension to the contest timeline.

The new deadline will be February 2, 2004 with winners announced one week later on the 9th. This will allow for more time to put the finishing touches on artwork and still be able to compete for over $1000.00 in cash and prizes.

Keep up the good work! We've seen some nice stuff so far, and hope to see more.

timdorr
Jan 14, 2004, 03:26 PM

Awesome! I needed this because my girlfriend has been visiting me this week and I had zero time to work on Cel Shaded
140x40? 4 lines of text? o_O?
Man, those are some strict sig guidelines.

Anderton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 03:33 PM

How many submitted themes do you counting on?

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 03:34 PM

great but please make this the last change.

dws
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by brianwilson:
Due to requests from theme authors participating in the Unsanity and OWC Theme Contest, we're announcing an extension to the contest timeline.
Good timing (I guess!). I was preparing to upload my completed theme entry onto my server today. I suppose I'll add another variation or two and make the necessary changes to the website update I'd already prepared for announcing the theme. I have to admit that I wish that Unsanity had made this decision a couple of weeks ago (when the issue was originally talked about). I certainly didn't ask for an extension and busted my balls to get my theme ready for the deadline.

Oh well, if some people need more time to complete their entries then everybody benefits - the more themes the better!

The only downside to this extension is that now everybody has to wait another two weeks to see the new themes that people have been working so hard on. I was really looking forward to next week, downloading lots of themes, & saying 'yuck' or 'yeah'. Also I'm anxious to see what people think of my own creation (it's called Boxi). I've put so many hours into this project that I've lost all perspective. At this point I haven't a clue whether my own hard work deserves a 'yeah' or a 'yuck'!!!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 02:03 AM

The last day of this contest, and the release date of OmniWeb 5 coincide. Coincidence?

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
The last day of this contest, and the release date of OmniWeb 5 coincide. Coincidence?
I would say so. Don't see why the contest and omniweb would be linked..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Forum Links
Forum Rules