Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Norwegian speakers? I discovered an old letter written by my great-grandfather

Norwegian speakers? I discovered an old letter written by my great-grandfather
Scientist
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 09:40 PM

My brother was cleaning out a closet today. He discovered this old letter written by my great-grandfather Oyvind Saetre. There are lots of stories about him in our family. Supposedly he was quite an amazing man. He was an avid photophotographer, musician, a friend of the king od norway, and director of the Stavanger symphony orchestra.

I'd be very grateful if someone could translate this letter og his. It was written to my grandfather who had recently made the voyage to America. It appears to have been written in 1910. The image marked "medium" should be at an adequate size to read it. The other image is larger and is scanned at 300dpi.

If someone can even just give me a rough idea of what the letter is about, I'll be extremely grateful.

Medium Image (side1)

Medium Image (side2)

Huge Image (side1)

Huge Image (side2)
( Last edited by Scientist; Jan 13, 2004 at 09:45 PM. )
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2004, 12:33 AM

I find it hard to read that old kind of hand writing. But it's basically a letter from "mum" to �yivind about the latest events.
If you want I could send it to my father and ask him to help me out with understanding what it says. (It's no problem to understand what it says, I just find it hard to figure out the hand writing.)
PM me if interested.

PS: Perhaps Voodoo or --erik-- can do it if they can get the handwriting better than me.
( Last edited by sniffer; Jan 14, 2004 at 12:38 AM. )

Sniffer gone old-school sig

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 04:15 PM

I had a short look at it. It's a little hard understanding the handwriting, but the language is clear enough.

The letter is from your great-grandmother. She's telling your grandfather what the people back home are doing.

There is a mention of King Haakon near the top of the second page, though I don't fully understand what's she's writing. Either the king, or a ship with his name, were coming from Kristiania (the old name for Oslo) the day before, and leaving for Bergen, where there's an exhibition starting today. It seems like �yvind were onboard, and possibly a friend (Thoralf ?) were buying him "dram og �l". (Dram means akevitt or something similar, �l means beer.)

I can try and translate more later perhaps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules