Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Installing iLife '04 right now!

Installing iLife '04 right now!
Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 09:56 AM

Just installing iLife '04 here in the UK.

It was available to buy this morning at UK resellers.

Please post any questions if you have them.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 09:58 AM

Build #'s?

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 10:14 AM

As requested the build numbers are :-

iTunes 4.2 - (72)
iMovie 4.0 - Not shown in the about box
iPhoto 4.0 - (4C4)
iDVD 4.0 - Not shown in the about box
GarageBand 1.0 - (7)

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 10:20 AM

Let us know what you think of the updates after you are done playing/trying them out...

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 10:39 AM

Feedback so far :-

iTunes - same as before no upgrade

iMovie - loads much quicker, seems more responsive

iPhoto - took about 2 mins to convert the 976 photos I have loaded, loads quite quickly and scrolling is now great, very quick

iDVD - Still takes a while to load, new theme very creative.

GarageBand - IT'S GREAT, already making music, really slick and quick, superb quality sounds

Ian

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Parky:

iPhoto 4.0 - (4C4)
I've had this one for the last week and i was completely sure this was just a beta, as its very buggy..

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
I've had this one for the last week and i was completely sure this was just a beta, as its very buggy..
What's buggy?

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 10:46 AM

Well (4C4) is the version in the final package.

Let's hope it was a 'suite' problem.

Ian

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 10:47 AM

Everything installed much quicker on my PowerBook, at least 4 times as fast!!!

Ian

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
What's buggy?
Well, with the brief experience i have had with it, it seems to have crash issues with the slideshow, and when I launched it once i had duplicates of every picture in my library..

also, when clicking the order prints button nothing seems to happen..

btw. is the build no. on iMovie 3G49? (open the version.plist file in the imovie.app package)
( Last edited by Busemann; Jan 16, 2004 at 12:13 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 11:38 AM

Well, with the brief experience i have had with it, it seems to have crash issues with the slideshow, and when I launched it once i had duplicates of every picture in my library..

also, when clicking the order pictures button nothing seems to happen..

btw. is the build no. on iMovie 3G49? (open the version.plist file in the imovie.app package)
Yeah, confirm his warez is the final version so he doesn't have to download another copy.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
Yeah, confirm his warez is the final version so he doesn't have to download another copy.

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 11:50 AM

How do I view the plist file?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 11:58 AM

How do I view the plist file?
go to ~/library/preferences/iMovie.plist

Open it in Text Edit.
Thats it.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:02 PM

iPhoto doesn't even seem to work with multiple users here. On the non-admin account it only shows as 81 MB, while it is really 103 MB. It crashes on launch, while it works perfectly on the admin account. Repaired permissions etc.

Hmm...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
go to ~/library/preferences/iMovie.plist

Open it in Text Edit.
Thats it.
Actually, it is located in the iMovie application itself. Control click it and "show package contents".

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:12 PM

iMovie build - (3G49)
iDVD does not have a build number in the .plist file

Ian

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:44 PM

iPhoto doesn't even seem to work with multiple users here. On the non-admin account it only shows as 81 MB, while it is really 103 MB. It crashes on launch, while it works perfectly on the admin account. Repaired permissions etc.

Hmm...
Nevermind..
Going in and manually changing the contents folder to admin as owner corrected it.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 12:58 PM

Just installing iLife '04 here in the UK.

It was available to buy this morning at UK resellers.

Please post any questions if you have them.

Ian
I thought you gave up on Apple after they screwed up your Panther delivery?

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 01:20 PM

I couldn't get the garageband demo songs played on my powerbook 12", even the specific for G3 one. It said my hard drive was too slow, and asked me to mute some tracks.

What is the requirement speed for the drive though?

TC
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 01:20 PM

Can you let us know what happens if you click on order prints?
Is it finally available in Europe?
Nothing to see, move along.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by TC:
Nothing happens

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by TC:
Steve Jobs said it will be available in March.

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 02:22 PM

Well, I just installed iLife04 and I must say that its a good suite of programs for $49. Thanks Jobs! Anyway, the new addition, GarageBand, is the added plus. Its a good 'little' program but does not surpass Soundtrack. I have Soundtrack and I love it. Although the interface in Soundtrack is boring with its gray and green coloured GUI, Soundtrack has more loops, and better control over your audio creations. I've been using Soundtrack for over a 2 months a love the fact that I can sync music with video all in the same program. GarageBand is a good way to introduce the home user to music creation. Then if the user wants to get into something more intense, they could get Soundtrack. Just like Apple's other software, Final Cut Express to Final Cut Pro, people can slowly move up the ladder in learning. For example, I'm new to this movie editing thing so I'm learning at the bottom using iMovie4. Although its limited, it gives you the basic idea of how to edit. Then after working in iMovie4 and mastering that program, I'm planning to upgrade to Final Cut Express- same concepts in editing but much more fine tuned tools to do more professional editing. Then after I get the hang of that, I'd like to upgrade to Final Cut Pro.

When it comes to GarageBand, we have the same options. If you have no idea about doing just the basics, get iLife04 which includes GarageBand. If you want to get more into music, master GarageBand and then upgrade yourself to Soundtrack. Its worth it. Smart move on Apple's marketing group.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 02:22 PM

Fed Ex came today! totally worth the extra $4 shipping!

iPhoto. GREAT! I have a 1 ghz imac and it took 10 seconds for it to open. No spinning ball at all unless your deleting an album or something huge. This is the way it should've always been. You will be happy.

iDVD new themes are great. Pretty fast overall. A few new features that are really going to be helpful.

iMovie, biggest thing for me is the audio level images on the tracks, what a time saver! Easier sub menues with transitions (especially good for SLICK additions)
Audio is still in what seems to be random order. Not good for me. Too many playlists I guess. Crashed the first time I opened it too.

I'm going to start working on a movie project tonight so I'll be able to put it more through its paces. Garage band looks cool, so I'm to lose myself in grooveland.

thanks apple!

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 02:31 PM

I have also had problems with the latest build of iPhoto

usually when you have a large slideshow set to "show slides in random order" ...it crashes.

that's about it.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Can other people try the GB demo songs. I'm wanting to make sure my 933MHz iBook G4 will be able to at least play the demos without some wonky 'hard drive too slow' error?
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 04:57 PM

I am also installing iLife '04 right now.

Excitement indeed!

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 04:59 PM

While you're doing that, launch iChat and join room "gbc". It's in File->Go to chat, and then type gbc, and come report your experience!

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 05:21 PM

I gave up on buying software direct from the Apple Store as they have a terrible delivery service in the UK.

I bought my copy from a store today, cheaper to as there are no delivery charges.

I have been using iPhoto for a few hours and I am very impressed.

I have increased the number of photos I had loaded from 950 to 4500 and there is no change in speed, it is still very quick.

No problem using the slide show with 1880 photos in the show, it work very quickly, and very smooth (cube transition)

When you rotate a number of photos they change right away in the view but I think it does the actual work in the background which really makes it seem quicker. I can cause a slight slow down when you are working on loads of photos, but if you wait a few seconds it gets flying again.

No crashes at all in the few hours of use today.

Very impressed.

rblanchette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 05:39 PM

Garageband chokes on my PB 12" G4 1Ghz 768 RAM. It does okay with simple tracks. Complex multitrack arrangements result in a "your hard drive is too slow" warning. It'll probably run great on desktops with 7200rpm drives. Unfortunately, that doesn't help us PB users with slow drives.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by rblanchette:
Garageband chokes on my PB 12" G4 1Ghz 768 RAM. It does okay with simple tracks. Complex multitrack arrangements result in a "your hard drive is too slow" warning. It'll probably run great on desktops with 7200rpm drives. Unfortunately, that doesn't help us PB users with slow drives.
I do feel kind of ripped off on that. Apple is well aware of the speeds of the harddrives in their laptops so one would assume that they've beta tested it on them.
:)

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by t6hawk:
I do feel kind of ripped off on that. Apple is well aware of the speeds of the harddrives in their laptops so one would assume that they've beta tested it on them.
I got a 12" powerbook and i noticed that too. I wonder if i can put garageband on an external firewire hard drive and run it from there, will it help?

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 06:03 PM

So iBook users, even 933MHz G4 one are probably even worse off? *gulp*

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 06:12 PM

i just put my garage band apps in my external firewire hard drive and i can play the demo-for the mind, guitar blue for G3 projects without any error message. But the G4/G5 projects no go for me, same hard drive is too slow message.

rblanchette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by t6hawk:
I'm kind of irritated too. I bought iLife 04 for Garageband and it looks like I'm not going to get much use out of it.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 06:22 PM

Just got news from a 15" 1.25ghz powerbook user who menitoned it was really slow and chatting in iChat caused a complete system pause for 10 seconds when 3 messages came in quickly. Can't endure expose at all either.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 06:24 PM

iPhoto '04 is impressive. It uses very small thumbnails while scrolling to speed up the experience - which is totally fine for me.

Everything gets nice and sharp once you stop scrolling. Nice way to do it.

Time to try out Garage Band and throw down some beats.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 06:28 PM

So basically, GarageBand is unusable on PowerBooks and iBooks? That is on the requirements for GarageBand? I don't remember reading that on Apple's site.

That's really lame, I was thinking of using GarageBand on a PowerBook G4 12"...

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 06:31 PM

If it's the only app running, at all, it's useable at 1.25ghz but if you load one of the included demos with 12 tracks, apparently it nearly dies and hogs the system harshly. It's a version 1, I'm not surprised.

Jawbreaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 06:35 PM

I'm running iLife 04 on an 867mhz 12" PowerBook G4 - and everything runs great, GarageBand included. The interface can't quite keep up in the more complicated demo songs, but everything sounds fine.

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 06:42 PM

Garageband is not usable on my G4 tower either. I installed the app onto a 7200rpm HD and I tried the 7200 rpm Firewire HD too. I get the same "Disk too slow" error I did on the powerbook on both the faster drives. WTF?! Now I feel REALLY ripped off.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 16, 2004, 06:42 PM

What the hell? In the product info for GB on the website it mentions something about using it with a desktop or laptop for a "truly portable studio"...

If these speed claims are true that is really freaking lame.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 16, 2004, 06:45 PM

By chance are you users experiencing these slow speeds using FileVault?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 06:46 PM

Can people please post what OS they are using? I'm wondering if there will be a difference between Pather and Jaguar, as we already have some "excellent" reports and some "unusable" reports. Thanks.

Macdriver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 06:48 PM

I loaded garageband on my G5 and the only sound out I can get is through the built in mono speaker in the box. Soundsticks are grayed out as not usable... this sucks the speakers are worth more than the cheezy app that wont ust them.

rblanchette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 06:48 PM

Panther no FileVault.

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 06:50 PM

I am on a PB 1.25 and GarageBand works/sounds fine. In fact, all the iLife apps seem to be in good order!

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

rblanchette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 06:58 PM

The only one that really seems to choke it is the Reflection Band. That is the most complex arrangement and my PB chokes about halfway through. The sound starts to cut in and out and then gets really weird. About a minute later the error message pops up about the drive being too slow or system overload.

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 06:59 PM

Powerbook = Panther, no filevault
Tower = Jaguar

Forum Links
Forum Rules