Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Mozilla and XML

Mozilla and XML
Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2004, 02:30 PM

What's the deal with Moz and loading XML files?

Let me clarify:

If I use
Code:
var s=document.implementation.createDocument("","",null); s.load("something.xml");
and then do some stuff with the data within the XML document to output it as (X)HTML then why will Mozilla only show the data once after the XML file has been saved? In order to get it to display again (if I change the XHTML page to do something else and then reload to see my changes) I have to alter the XML document aswell. This seems weird. It strikes of a cache thingy, so possibly a no-cache meta tag would do the trick. but it doesn't.

So what's the options? Anyone know? Since it's being served from my computer, I could run a shell script to touch the file every five minutes or so, but the point of the exercise is to implement a blog script with only javascript and XML (rather than PHP and MySQL for example) for people without access to proper servers etc.

Anyhoo - it's a pain, and I'm hoping there's an obvious answer...

Thanks

p.s. I'm not sure if other browsers have this problem.

Chris O'Brien  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2004, 02:37 PM

I should also note that it will eventually reload properly and show all the data, but you need to leave it alone for about 2 minutes before reloading. Does sound like it's being cached - but then, why wouldn't it display the old XML document instead of nothing?

Possibly something for bugzilla? In fact - I should look and see if it's a documented bug. D'oh! Should really've done that before posting.

Still - it might not be a bug, so anyone have any ideas?

Chris O'Brien  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2004, 08:17 PM

:bump:

No-one got even the slightest idea? It's the only thing holding me back from having a fully working blog script without the need for server-side stuff...

Ah well - maybe I'll need to resort to XSLT, but that may limit functionality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules