Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RadTech ScreenSavRz & Wildeepz Pics & Impressions

RadTech ScreenSavRz & Wildeepz Pics & Impressions
AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 02:26 PM

First off, I apologize for the double post in the Perphs. forums, but these accessories deal exclusively with the PowerBook, thus I felt posting it here would give satisfactory exposure.

I just recently receved my custom-made RadTech ScreenSavRz screen protector and Wildeepz from www.radtech.us

I can't say enough about the company...very friendly, helpful, always avilable, great prices, and very quick production/shipping. I ordered a 17" PB screen protector from there w/ the Apple logo, "Think Different" in Apple's Myriad Bold font, and below that "Darren's PowerBook G4", all emblazed in black on a Titanium colored cloth.

The cloth fits perfectly and does it's job exactly as it should; it completely eliminates the keys being able to come in contact with the LCD, while adding a touch of personal style to my machine.

The Wildeepz are small clear cushions installed around the edges of the PowerBook's screen and when closing, it completely eliminated all wobble on any side of the latch, which I really like. It makes the PB's lid feel much more secure and it doesn't feel like the screen is coming in contact w/ the palm rests while carrying.

Two wonderful purchases for your PB if you don't have them yet, and I *highly* recommend dealing with RadTech. Enjoy the pics HERE.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 02:41 PM

I've used both for my 15" PowerBook and will definitely recommend them to others. I had a question about the logos on the ScreenSavrz since I only got a plain one. How exactly are they printed on the cloth, is it something sewn on, or screenprinted. I wasn't sure whether to get it with a logo since I also use it to clean the screen and wasn't sure if the logo would rub off after repeated use.

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 02:45 PM

Cool man! Incidentally I also purchased both like you on Friday without customized messages
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 02:46 PM

They're "emblazed" on, or in other words, their screen printed on. They aren't sewn in or anything, but the graphics they applied are of a very good quality.

Also, as for cleaning the LCD, I'll always use the back side for that, to keep the graphics looking their best.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 06:03 PM

I have been using the ScreenSavRz screen protectors for a while. I have a plain one, and another one that reads 'PowerBook G4' in the new Apple font. It fits my 12" PowerBook perfectly. I use them not only to clean my screen, but to go over the outer casing of the AlBook as well. The thing that I love about the aluminum finish is that it looks brand new every time you wipe it. For finger prints a smudges (rare, but it does happen), I take the plain one a damp it with plain warm water. Both the screen and the Al body are flawless every time. The one that reads 'PowerBook G4' is always with me as it protects the screen.

My only issue with Radtech is the way they ship the ScreenSavRz. I mean, as it is you know the markup is huge - which is fine. But, why not put them in a larger envelope in between two pieces of cardboard so they don't crease or wrinkle and punch in transit? Instead, they are folded three-way and placed in a regular legal sized envelope and sent out regular US mail. Not cool. Know your market. People who pay $15-$20 for a piece of microfiber to protect their precious hardware probably do NOT want to receive their ScreenSavRz in a beat up envelope, bunched on one side with permanent 'fold' marks in them! In time they look okay, but why go through that?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by StiZeven:
My only issue with Radtech is the way they ship the ScreenSavRz. I mean, as it is you know the markup is huge - which is fine. But, why not put them in a larger envelope in between two pieces of cardboard so they don't crease or wrinkle and punch in transit? Instead, they are folded three-way and placed in a regular legal sized envelope and sent out regular US mail. Not cool. Know your market. People who pay $15-$20 for a piece of microfiber to protect their precious hardware probably do NOT want to receive their ScreenSavRz in a beat up envelope, bunched on one side with permanent 'fold' marks in them! In time they look okay, but why go through that?

I'll have to strongly disagree here. I paid $11.95 for the actual cloth, then $25 for the custom work to it. After several days of communication back & forth we decided on a final graphic & he sent my order off to the printers. He was extremely responsive to my questions and in helping me. Then exactly 7 business days later, he emailed me saying it was completed and it shipped that day...7 days for a custom work is dang impressive in my book. Then the very next day I come home to see a USPS Express envelope on my counter; sure enough, the guys at RadTech OVERNIGHTED my ScreenSavRz to me at absolutely no charge. I didn't even pay a dime for ground shipping, and they shipped it by Overnight mail just to be courteous. Extremely impressive. And it was between two stiff, thick peices of paper (more like posterboard) to keep it flat, and in perfect condition. Yes, it was folded in thirds, but I simply found 2 peices of cardboard and placed it in between, and laid about 6 thick books on top of the cardboard. 2 days later there's no creases.

Their service is outstanding, and as you can tell, so is their shipping...I'd assume their policies have clearly changed because of how they handled my order. I wouldn't hesitate to order again from them.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

RGB
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 04:17 AM

I'm tempted to get the WildEepz for the 1GHz TiBook I got on Friday, but I must say they do look rather ugly. Are they as obtrusive to the aesthetics of my beautiful 'book as they look in the pictures?

If so, I might just go with a screensaver thingie, though I don't like the concept of dealing with the cloth at all times.

I'd prefer the wildeepz due to their permanent nature, in addition to their structural benefits, if they won't tarnish the look of my machine.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
I'm tempted to get the WildEepz for the 1GHz TiBook I got on Friday, but I must say they do look rather ugly. Are they as obtrusive to the aesthetics of my beautiful 'book as they look in the pictures?

If so, I might just go with a screensaver thingie, though I don't like the concept of dealing with the cloth at all times.

I'd prefer the wildeepz due to their permanent nature, in addition to their structural benefits, if they won't tarnish the look of my machine.
That pic isn't the greatest, I was hard pressed to get all 3 in a single picture, and they are a tad bit noticeable, granted, but for the wonderful protection they provide, they're worth it to me. Plus, they grow on you, soon you wouldn't even notice them. What's more ugly is if the lid causes permanent marks around the edges of the palm rest from being mashed up against them.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

RGB
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 12:28 PM

Would it be possible to attach them to the edge of the base of the PowerBook instead of the edge of the screen, or would that somehow not work as well?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 12:43 PM

I emailed them to ask about international shipping yesterday. I had a reponse within the hour...

Bout to ordetr the screen protector and rubber feet things.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 12:50 PM

Would it be possible to attach them to the edge of the base of the PowerBook instead of the edge of the screen, or would that somehow not work as well?
You could certainly attach them to the palm rests and around the edges of the base of the computer instead, however, they'd be more susceptible to getting hit and eventually torn off than on the edges of the screen. I imagine both ways working equally well, though.

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I emailed them to ask about international shipping yesterday. I had a reponse within the hour...

Bout to ordetr the screen protector and rubber feet things.
This doesn't surprise one single bit; that's how responsive they were with me as well...I'm amazed at how fast they respond. I emailed him at 1:00am early one morning, and had a response before 2:00am, they're excellent with communications. Are you planning on ordering a screen protector w/ a custom graphic?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I'll have to strongly disagree here. I paid $11.95 for the actual cloth, then $25 for the custom work to it. After several days of communication back & forth we decided on a final graphic & he sent my order off to the printers. He was extremely responsive to my questions and in helping me. Then exactly 7 business days later, he emailed me saying it was completed and it shipped that day...7 days for a custom work is dang impressive in my book. Then the very next day I come home to see a USPS Express envelope on my counter; sure enough, the guys at RadTech OVERNIGHTED my ScreenSavRz to me at absolutely no charge. I didn't even pay a dime for ground shipping, and they shipped it by Overnight mail just to be courteous. Extremely impressive. And it was between two stiff, thick peices of paper (more like posterboard) to keep it flat, and in perfect condition. Yes, it was folded in thirds, but I simply found 2 peices of cardboard and placed it in between, and laid about 6 thick books on top of the cardboard. 2 days later there's no creases.

Their service is outstanding, and as you can tell, so is their shipping...I'd assume their policies have clearly changed because of how they handled my order. I wouldn't hesitate to order again from them.
Well, I am glad that all worked out for you, but that doesn't change the fact that I haven't had such great luck with their shipping methods.

I ordered 2 ScreenSavRz back in November and they were shoved in a plain legal envelope with one being bunched in the corners and the top of the envelope partially ripped exposing the cloth. Then I ordered another 2 ScreenSavRz last month for my 12" PowerBook and again they were in a legal sized envelope. This time, one of them has permanent creases in them (I am assuming these are prepared folded and stored that way before they ship them out). Luckily, the one with the embossed PowerBook G4 is not as bad.

Yes, they have a good product and a friendly staff, but both times they threw my orders in plain legal sized envelopes and put it in regular mail with absolutely no protection and unevenly folded. I am sure if I would have pissed and moaned about it, I would have gotten a replacement. I figured I'd let them know how I WANT them shipped the next time I place an order.

Apparently, their shipping and handling is very inconsistent. They should automatically ship them in a more protective thick enclosure and try to minimize bunching and folding. It's a little insulting receiving your order in a plain ripped legal envelope that you'd send your cable bill in. Then you look at the postage and it says .40 cents.

muchachotron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2003, 09:02 PM

i also recently received the wildeepz and the screensavrz for my powerbook 17 inch. they came in the standard letter envelope, which i agree is unprofessional and unwise on the part of radtech. however, the screensavrz doesn't wrinkle, so it soon flattened out and any creases are now gone.

for those who have the wildeepz, please explain how you placed them. on my 17 incher i put them on the screen bezel as recommended by the included template, and i placed the center 2 'deepz about an inch outside of each of the magnetic latch mechanisms at the top of the screen. when closed, the unit feels very solid, but i am kind of uneasy when i look at the closed powerbook straight on. there is a noticeable bowing inward on the top of the display, toward the center, when it is closed using the wildeepz. this is definitely not an issue when the wildeepz are not in place. i thought by placing the 2 center pads closer together it would straighten things out, but it does not. i am afraid that keeping them on will eventually cause a permanent warping. anybody else noticing this, or worried about it?

also, it takes enough effort to open the lid now to make me concerned about that too. with the wildeepz in place, you need to firmly press down on the top of the screen, which bows it inward, and then push the release button in, or else the mechanism doesn't release the lid. this may also lead to warping or other problems. any insight?

- d

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 09:36 PM

I have been using the ScreenSavRz screen protectors for a while. I have a plain one, and another one that reads 'PowerBook G4' in the new Apple font. It fits my 12" PowerBook perfectly. I use them not only to clean my screen, but to go over the outer casing of the AlBook as well. The thing that I love about the aluminum finish is that it looks brand new every time you wipe it. For finger prints a smudges (rare, but it does happen), I take the plain one a damp it with plain warm water. Both the screen and the Al body are flawless every time. The one that reads 'PowerBook G4' is always with me as it protects the screen.

i have to agree. i got one of the for my ex-PB & it came in a regular envelope & folded.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

mutron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2003, 09:23 AM

Hello,

I received my ScreensavRz for th 17''
a couple of days ago...

It is really nice but I have a problem.
It seems that part of the palm rest area
and some part in the speaker area is out.

According to the dimensions in their
web site this is supposed to be right.
The whole keyboard is underneath the
cloth, so it is the trackpad.

Is this how it is supposed to be?
(the size I have is roughly 29cm x 23cm)

Thanks!

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2003, 09:38 AM

A bit off topic, but the ScreenSavRz is also great for cleaning the fingerprint-laden back of an iPod. I use both the ScreenSavRz and the PowerSleeve with my 17" and think both are great. I do agree with others that customer service is good and you'll get a fast response, but the packaging and huge mark-up on shipping costs are pretty lame.

twil13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by muchachotron:
i also recently received the wildeepz and the screensavrz for my powerbook 17 inch. they came in the standard letter envelope, which i agree is unprofessional and unwise on the part of radtech. however, the screensavrz doesn't wrinkle, so it soon flattened out and any creases are now gone.

for those who have the wildeepz, please explain how you placed them. on my 17 incher i put them on the screen bezel as recommended by the included template, and i placed the center 2 'deepz about an inch outside of each of the magnetic latch mechanisms at the top of the screen. when closed, the unit feels very solid, but i am kind of uneasy when i look at the closed powerbook straight on. there is a noticeable bowing inward on the top of the display, toward the center, when it is closed using the wildeepz. this is definitely not an issue when the wildeepz are not in place. i thought by placing the 2 center pads closer together it would straighten things out, but it does not. i am afraid that keeping them on will eventually cause a permanent warping. anybody else noticing this, or worried about it?

also, it takes enough effort to open the lid now to make me concerned about that too. with the wildeepz in place, you need to firmly press down on the top of the screen, which bows it inward, and then push the release button in, or else the mechanism doesn't release the lid. this may also lead to warping or other problems. any insight?

- d
I thought that the wildeepz might cause some sort of bending in the screen. It seems logical that the latch would have some pressure on it at all times which could cause problems in the long run. Assassyn or anyone else have the same problems as this guy?

Tony

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by mutron:
Hello,

I received my ScreensavRz for th 17''
a couple of days ago...

It is really nice but I have a problem.
It seems that part of the palm rest area
and some part in the speaker area is out.

According to the dimensions in their
web site this is supposed to be right.
The whole keyboard is underneath the
cloth, so it is the trackpad.

Is this how it is supposed to be?
(the size I have is roughly 29cm x 23cm)

Thanks!
Yep, it's supposed to leave that small area all the way around uncovered so it doesn't interfere with the latch, and so Wildeepz can be installed without hitting the ScreenSavRz.

Originally posted by twil13:
I thought that the wildeepz might cause some sort of bending in the screen. It seems logical that the latch would have some pressure on it at all times which could cause problems in the long run. Assassyn or anyone else have the same problems as this guy?

Tony
I checked mine out, and I see no noticeable bending whatsoever. Mine seem to fit swell. They cause any added pressure at all, and if yours does, I'd imagine changing their position so that the fulcrum is in a different position may help. The only one thing that changed after installing them was that I now have *barely* press down in the center of the PB's lid to ensure the button will release the latch without hanging, however, the latch on the 17" PB is known as one of Apple's more poor latch designs to begin with, and so I have no issues with this nor worries of it eventually bending the lid.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

neon_duke
May 20, 2003, 12:32 PM

Anybody want to split a pack of the wildeepz or whatever they're called? Or anybody have a few left over that they'd take a few bucks for?

Drop me a PM if you're interested. Thanks!
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2003, 01:38 PM

The Wildeepz on my 17" exhibited the same very slight bowing in toward the latch. After about a week, they seem to have compressed, conforming to the natural shape forced on them by the closed screen. Now, one week later, the bowing is noticeable only if you examine the gap very, very closely. And the latch opens much easier now, although I still press downward slightly on the sceen to relieve a bit of pressure on the latch.

The value of these things is undeniable. But I may wind up removing the two "eepz" closest to the latch, just leaving the ones in the corners and at the mid-points of the sides. I have to believe that over the long haul, that added pressure cannot be good for the latch.

justinf77
Forum Regular
May 21, 2003, 02:46 AM

Quote:

"Hello Justin,

Not to worry sir. The warping the poster speaks of is, 1 - very slight. much less than an iBook or 12in. PB. AND it can be minimized, or eliminated by repositioning the cushions.

Another point to make is that the cushions will tend to be a bit thicker when new, but will take a "set" after a few days, losing a bit of height.

BUT, the bottom line is that this very slight 'warping' when closed is not, or will not pose any problems at all.

Thanks for the heads up Justin."

gif32
Jan 16, 2004, 06:58 PM

I got my ScreensavRz today and after reading this thread I already had the heavy book out to flatten the creases... but:

It shipped in a tube! It was rolled up in a plastic tube within the USPS envelope. Looks like they changed their tune...

They sent an ad for the PowerSleeve. If no one has any objections I'll probably get that next.

-gif

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by gif32:
I got my ScreensavRz today and after reading this thread I already had the heavy book out to flatten the creases... but:

It shipped in a tube! It was rolled up in a plastic tube within the USPS envelope. Looks like they changed their tune...

They sent an ad for the PowerSleeve. If no one has any objections I'll probably get that next.

-gif
Yes, I have it, too. The PowerSleevz is a great product!

You can even customize it, either by getting it emblazoned with your name/logo (which I did), or by getting it embossed at the printer (which is much more expensive, but then the block can be re-used)!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread!

--DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Chulo
Jan 19, 2004, 07:42 PM

I ordered the PowerSleeve, ScreenSavRz with the Powerbook logo on it along with WildeepZ. I've got to give them 2 thumbs up on their delivery time and packaging.

Unlike most of you on this thread, I received my Powersleeve in a short period of time and they were packaged elegantly inside tubes! Both the PowerSleeve and ScreenSavRz came rolled inside a nicely packaged White tube with Red caps on either side. They look really impressive. Only the WildeepZ came in a regular envelope.

I haven't installed the WildeepZ yet since I'm not sure I want to change the aestetics of the Powerbook. If it looks like I'm developing a wooble with the hinges then I'll put them on. It's just not necessary right now (and hope it won't happen).

All in all, I'm very impressed and happy with the purchase.

meatyocre
Jan 20, 2004, 06:32 PM

Everyone is hoot'n about Radtech. Anyone here use the ShaggyMac Screen Protectors?

www.shaggymac.com

They are used on all of my PB's and PC based notebooks. Very good quality, super soft.

maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 01:47 AM

I had Wildeepz and they became sticky over time and eventually started to rip the paint off my Ti PB case. They also made it much harder to open the PB as they raised the screen up too much (this isn't good for the latch and makes it next to impossible to open the PB with one hand). I wouldn't recommend Wildeepz to any Tibook owners.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by maceye:
I had Wildeepz and they became sticky over time and eventually started to rip the paint off my Ti PB case. They also made it much harder to open the PB as they raised the screen up too much (this isn't good for the latch and makes it next to impossible to open the PB with one hand). I wouldn't recommend Wildeepz to any Tibook owners.
However, Wildeepz has been working fine with my 17-inch Albook! I've been using them since April of 2003!

If you don't use them (or some equivalent product) with the 17-inch PowerBook��, the latch can get stuck, making it impossible to open the computer without potentially shattering the screen. Just don't use all four cushions! I only use two, and I place them close to the ends, so that they don't cause the screen to bend too much.

--DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 12:22 PM

they would get knocked off if put on the base. I have mine around the screen bezzel they don't bother me at all, are wearing very well and have really stabilized my 17" screen. I have sleeve and the pad too and they are really great products. Can they be washed? If so, how?

krux`
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 02:25 PM

i Just got RadTech for PB and iPod, couldnt be happier
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 11:35 PM

Just ordered my Radtech ScreenSavRz

See how it goes.
With this will I need the Wildeepz? It says on the product description, I will not have the "Powerbook G4" transfer to my topcase....Are they talking about the one just underneath the monitor?
This will be protected by my ScreenSavRz wont it?
Who reads this???

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:43 AM

I have both for almost a year now, and I love it to this day. You can't go wrong with them.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

N.N.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by maceye:
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but before I purchase these nifty things with the silly name for my PowerBook I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced this kind of problem with WildEepz on his Titanium?

Maceye, where did you attach the WildEepz back then, on the screen bezel or the carbon frame of the main part? Also, did the paint rip off on the side the WildEepz were attached to or on the opposite side? Was the damaged paint otherwise still intact everywhere else?

I really need some kind of cushions for the screen because the pathetic original ones are completely worn down, but I don't want to impose any risk on my Titanium's finish which is still pretty much prisitine after all these years.

Of course comments from people who have used WildEepz on their Titanium PowerBooks for years without any problems are welcome as well.

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2005, 01:02 AM

yeah, I would like to know about that problem too.. A friend is interested in them.
by the way.. I havn't heard AssassyN in awhile...where is he? lol
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 11:38 PM

It's one of those items that I don't think I would have ordered on my own, but was given one of their ScreenSaverz for Christmas. Plainly put, it is a nice accessory - I work in an office where stuff gets on monitors, and I am more than a little anal retentive about how clean my electronics are. This item helps to keep the screen cleaner, and works well to wipe it off daily.

Incidentally, mine is a plain one.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by N.N.:
Of course comments from people who have used WildEepz on their Titanium PowerBooks for years without any problems are welcome as well.
I have had them on my Titanium PowerBook G4 1 GHz for two years without problems. Of course, this is the last revision of the TiPB before the Aluminum PB's, and that last revision didn't have the paint problems that the older ones had.

Perhaps the problem with the WildEepz pulling off the paint is simply due to the sh*tty paint jobs on the earlier TiPBs?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2005, 05:06 AM

I have a PB17, rev c, with the peepz and haven;t had any problems and they do help with the alignment when closed. As pricey as Redtech stuff can be, I have yet to find fault with any of their stuff. I have a screensaver and slip-on case for my PB17, a case for my iPod photo (even fits the 60 perfectly snug) and I got a black one for my g/f's iPod mini.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by tungtied07:
yeah, I would like to know about that problem too.. A friend is interested in them.
by the way.. I havn't heard AssassyN in awhile...where is he? lol
Hey hey It's good to be remembered, and it's good to be back. I've been off for about a year or so now, but not really. I was under another alias due to some "trader issues" on another forum awhile back under the same name. So after losing $1,000 in a sour trade, I took a break w/ another name. But after seeing this, it prompted AssassyN to return. As my sig. implies, my setup has changed since the past...my 20" G5 iMac actually arrives today (but it's all icy on the roads, so maybe Friday now ) and I can't wait! I was going to get a Mini, but considering I'll be using Final Cut often, I need the power of a G5.

Ah, good to be back
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 10:08 AM

Hey hey It's good to be remembered, and it's good to be back. I've been off for about a year or so now, but not really. I was under another alias due to some "trader issues" on another forum awhile back under the same name. So after losing $1,000 in a sour trade, I took a break w/ another name. But after seeing this, it prompted AssassyN to return. As my sig. implies, my setup has changed since the past...my 20" G5 iMac actually arrives today (but it's all icy on the roads, so maybe Friday now ) and I can't wait! I was going to get a Mini, but considering I'll be using Final Cut often, I need the power of a G5.

Ah, good to be back
Hey, nice to hear from you again!
Congrats on your new iMac!! Please take some pictures and give us a small review! Its great to have you back
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 10:20 AM

Thanks a bunch! Oh pictures will most definitely be taken (as always), and I'll try to post a review in the iMac forum. Heh, it was nice writing reviews for here back in the day...the 17" PB review put it on the map
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 11:12 PM

Ah, good to be back
AssassyN, it's nice to have you back. You project a lot of energy in your writings and general online presence. The perfect blend of style, emotion and intellect.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 05:32 PM

I ordered a screensaver and got it in the mail yesterday. Needless to say, I love it and it works quite well.

I definitely recommend this.

Chulo
Jan 22, 2005, 10:17 PM

I purchased mine about one year ago while I was waiting for my PBook 15" to ship. I received the screen protector and the cover before my PBook arrived.
As soon as my PBook arrived, I used them immediately. They work wonderfully to protect both the inside and outside. They do exactly what the company says they'll do and I'm completely happy. I'd definitely buy another pair if and when these wear out!

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by RealMac:
AssassyN, it's nice to have you back. You project a lot of energy in your writings and general online presence. The perfect blend of style, emotion and intellect.
Thanks a bunch!

I'm going to have my new 20" iMac (see sig.) in my eager hands by Wednesday of this week. It was supposed to ship Wednesday, but shipped early only to be delayed in customs and then hit bad weather along the way, so it's basically arriving exactly when Apple scheduled it to when I first ordered. I'm planning on taking some pics and posting an overview of how I like my first Mac desktop since over a year ago when I sold my MDD PowerMac G4! Hopefully the review will gain the same satisfaction as my 17" PB one did

And I'm glad you guys are liking the RadTech stuff...great, great products. I'm eyeing their iMac G5 screen cover mighty hard.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ricacu
Jan 24, 2005, 12:21 PM

i just recived my wildepz and screensavrz, the screensavr is great but i have a little concern about the wildeepz, i used the thick ones (i have 15al) and used the "3" in the install chart for the top feet. i noticed a little bowing on the screen when closed, can that be harmful for the screen? i can post pics if nescesary, thx once again guys
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I think someone else asked this (and did not get an answer).

Do I really need to get both a Screensavr and some Wildeepz? I have a case for my 12in PB and so I just need something to keep the screen off the keyboard. I would assume that using one of the products by itself would suffice. Which one would you reccomend?

Thanks.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

reybart
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 07:37 PM

I am very much happy with their products. I have been using the sleeve for PB 12 since 2004 of april and now I just received the sleeve and screensvr for my PB17. No regrets at all. The shipping is even faster.

spanties
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 09:55 AM

Sorry again for reviving this old thread. /but i really dont understand how sticking the bumpers near the latch would prevent latch problems. Because to me, if you stick the bumpers there, wouldn't there be a constant pressure? More than if it wasnt there at all?

Without the wildeepz, my latch area closes nearest, the edges at the left and right are a little bent upwards, about .5mm difference. I've got the wrist rug installed you see. So is buying the wildeepz going to help in anyway?

I figured that if i add stuff to prop the screen up more, i'd have to exert more force to close it than i would if i didnt install it at all, leading to greater pressure on the latch right?

Please tell me what you guys think!!

spanties
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 09:57 AM

also, can someone post pics please? the pics that were orignally at spymac arent there anymore@

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2005, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by spanties
Sorry again for reviving this old thread. /but i really dont understand how sticking the bumpers near the latch would prevent latch problems. Because to me, if you stick the bumpers there, wouldn't there be a constant pressure? More than if it wasnt there at all?
There is a problem with the latch on the new aluminum PowerBooks that sometimes causes the latch to get stuck because the lid does not rise easily. There has been at least one user who has claimed to have destroyed his LCD display because he had to try to pry his new latch open because of lack of outward pressure--adding the bumpers increases the pressure for the lid to rise, allowing the latch to detach more easily.

Originally Posted by spanties
Without the wildeepz, my latch area closes nearest, the edges at the left and right are a little bent upwards, about .5mm difference. I've got the wrist rug installed you see. So is buying the wildeepz going to help in anyway?

I figured that if i add stuff to prop the screen up more, i'd have to exert more force to close it than i would if i didnt install it at all, leading to greater pressure on the latch right?

Please tell me what you guys think!!
Again, in the default state, there is insufficient outward pressure on the latch, sometimes causing the latch to get stuck in the closed position. Sometimes users need to insert an object between the keyboard and the screen in order to pry the lid open. The RadTechâ„¢ Wildeepz adds just enough outward pressure to alleviate this problem, allowing the lid to pop open easily. I have used my Wildeepz since about April of 2003, and have not experienced any problems.

-- DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

spanties
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 05:00 AM

Insufficient upward pressure? Ok I'm not entirely sure about that, but what happens on mine is that, when I press the button to release the catch, it springs up, So the question here is, do I really need one of these? Also, there's no chance of spoiling anything right ? Mine's a rev d pbk g4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules