Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook case damage

powerbook case damage
tomasboudr
Jan 21, 2004, 05:19 PM

I have loved my 1st gen 12 inch and still do but recently I banged up the corner reaqlly good by putting down my bookbag. Even though it was in a protective sfbags sleave inside the bookbag, the corner of both the bottom case and the battery case are pretty messed up.

The edge of the battery case got bent up like 3 or 4 mm and pushes the battery part down. The side case near the corner is buldgeing out in the front slightly as well, enough that I can see past the gray trim all the way thru to the table below. NOT COOL

Upon taking the thing part (the battery) I found that the battery can be seperated from its little section of case. So if I bought a new battery would I get that section of the case with it (cause I need a new one). I also probably need to buy a bottom case replacement to get things back in order completely.

Also anyone have any case repair advice beyond trying to bend it with some needle nose pliers.
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by tomasboudr:
[BUpon taking the thing part (the battery) I found that the battery can be seperated from its little section of case. So if I bought a new battery would I get that section of the case with it (cause I need a new one). I also probably need to buy a bottom case replacement to get things back in order completely.

Also anyone have any case repair advice beyond trying to bend it with some needle nose pliers. [/B]
Replacing the bottom case of the 12" basically involves taking everything on the inside apart - seems like the PB innards are assembled from the bottom case up. Be really prepared with the service manual and a very generous dose of patience if you are going to attempt it yourself... if not, I guess you can always send it in to an authorised repair center...

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules