Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Java 2 Standard Edition for mac?

Java 2 Standard Edition for mac?
Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 07:14 PM

Im taking an intro to java course at my university, unfortunately they use wintels in the course. I was informed that i can still use my mac in the course but i would need to download the Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition, v 1.4.2 (J2SE). I went on sun's site and this does not seem to be available to mac OSX. Any help in obtaining a mac version of this would be greatly appriciated. I really dont want to be using a pc while i program for hours heh.

bertrandl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Jsnuff1:
Im taking an intro to java course at my university, unfortunately they use wintels in the course. I was informed that i can still use my mac in the course but i would need to download the Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition, v 1.4.2 (J2SE). I went on sun's site and this does not seem to be available to mac OSX. Any help in obtaining a mac version of this would be greatly appriciated. I really dont want to be using a pc while i program for hours heh.
Java comes with MacOS X. It is supplied by Apple, so you don't need to download it from Sun.

If you start the Terminal application and type "java -version" it will give you what Java version you have installed. On my Panther machine with all the updates I have the v 1.4.1 version. It is probably good enough for your intro to Java course.

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by bertrandl:
Java comes with MacOS X. It is supplied by Apple, so you don't need to download it from Sun.

If you start the Terminal application and type "java -version" it will give you what Java version you have installed. On my Panther machine with all the updates I have the v 1.4.1 version. It is probably good enough for your intro to Java course.
I know, but the standard edition has certain classes that are needed for programing and i dont think are supplied by the version of java that apple ships with OSX.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 07:42 PM

I know, but the standard edition has certain classes that are needed for programing and i dont think are supplied by the version of java that apple ships with OSX.
I highly doubt that. Not a heck of a lot changed from version 1.4.1 and 1.4.2. If you knew which classes and methods that you think might be new in 1.4.2 you could go to the Sun site and look for them in the 1.4.1 API. However, if you really do find something that's new in 1.4.2 that you just HAVE to have, you can go to developer.apple.com and join the ADC for free. Once you do that you'll be able to download a developer preview of Java 1.4.2. Keep in mind though that this is beta software. If you can get away with using 1.4.1 you should use that instead.

Also, the scope of an intro course rarely covers materiel that wasn't part of Java 1.1. Your professors are probably saying Java 1.4.2 because that's the version that they will use to test your code with. If that's the case, just develop your code in 1.4.1 and test it on a machine with 1.4.2 before you turn it in. I'll bet that your code will run exactly the same every time you do this.

dole
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 07:52 PM

You could go to connect.apple.com and download the java 1.4.2 from there. I have that installed and this is what is get when I run java -version from the terminal.

java version "1.4.2_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_03-113)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-33, mixed mode)

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 07:54 PM

That is BS. Apple ships the standard version with Mac OS X. There is nothing you would need for a java intro class that is not included.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 08:59 PM

J2SE is included with OS X.

I've worked with it before - all the classes are there.

And, for any work you'd do in an intro to java course, any 1.4 release would due. You could probably even use a 1.3 release and never know the difference.

relax. It's cool.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 11:49 PM

OK, if you really care that much about getting 1.4.2,
Go to http://connect.apple.com/
Click on the Java link in the sidebar.
Download the 1.4.2 Virtual Machine (It may just be called Java 1.4.2, can't remember) and get the Java SDK (So you can compile it with all the new classes)
Install, restart, viola. You have 1.4.2 standard. (It's a beta but I've been OK with it for the last month.)

i_wolf
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 12:16 AM

i would not advise using java 1.4.2 yet until it becomes official. if you install 1.4.2 you will loose support from two great IDE's for java IntelliJ and Eclipse. Neither seam to work with 1.4.2. That will probably be rectified when 1.4.2 goes release.
I gotta agree with everyone here as well... there is no point installing 1.4.2 ... there is very very little changed between that and 1.4.1 anyway.
Either way i would join the ADC and check out the documentation on java there. its pretty cool.
rgs
i_wolf

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2004, 04:18 AM

And here's what you get if you aren't running the beta:
java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-99)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-27, mixed mode)

Thus reconfirming that J2SE is shipped with the OS, good stuff huh! No need to download a single thing.

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 11:21 AM

thanks for the info guys, one last question, is there a diffrence between the java 2 runtime enviroment, standard edition and java 2 platform, standard edition or is it just two diffrent names used by apple and sun?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 11:44 AM

thanks for the info guys, one last question, is there a diffrence between the java 2 runtime enviroment, standard edition and java 2 platform, standard edition or is it just two diffrent names used by apple and sun?
Java 2 is any version of java 1.2 or newer. The Java Runtime Environment, or JRE, is just the parts of java required to RUN java code, not to compile it. Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) is the JRE plus the Software Development Kit (SDK), yielding everything you need to use java end to end (coding, debugging, deploying, running).

OSX comes with Java 2 Runtime installed. If you install the OSX developer tools, you get all the Java developer tools, man pages, and debugging tools installed too. At that point you have a full J2SE and you can do anything in java on OSX that you can on any other platform. Just be sure to run OSX 10.3 and XCode 1.1 so you have all the latest releases from Apple.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 11:46 PM

ok here is the problem i am having...i made a small java program that is supposed to show and alert message. the program seemed to compile correctly (no error messages were shown) but when i tried to run it in the command line window i received this error

[jsnuff:~] jsnuff1% java /test.class
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /test/class
[jsnuff:~] jsnuff1%

when i double clicked on the test.class icon though, the program ran as it should have. (i showed this to my proffesor, and he said that the error message is often associated
with setting the classpath environment variable on windows, whatever that is supposed to mean)

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 12:22 AM

Java can't find the file test.class in the root directory. Do you have one there?

Ex. run the command "java /uselessgarbagefile.class" (which obviously doesn't exist) and you will get the same error.

If you are in the directory with the file just do "java test.class" and that will run it.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 12:30 AM

ok here is the problem i am having...i made a small java program that is supposed to show and alert message. the program seemed to compile correctly (no error messages were shown) but when i tried to run it in the command line window i received this error

when i double clicked on the test.class icon though, the program ran as it should have. (i showed this to my proffesor, and he said that the error message is often associated
with setting the classpath environment variable on windows, whatever that is supposed to mean)
That's not how you run java apps. Assuming the class is called "test" and is in "test.class" just type "java test" to run it. No slash, no ".class".
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules