Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how goes dual 450 + OSX???

how goes dual 450 + OSX???
zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 08:28 AM

Hi all,
I will lend a dual G4 450 from a friend for some altivec needed stuff with cleaner..
How does the dual work with osX??

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:11 AM

With Panther, it will work great. My old 450 cube works very well with it. I use it instead of the P4 2.8ghz sitting under my desk at work.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 10:23 AM

I have a dual 450 and works just fine with 10.3.2.

chrisford
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 01:20 PM

Hi -

I'm pleased with the performance on my dual 450. I've upped the ram to 1.2 gig and stuck a radeon (9600?) in it. The default video card was a little pokey.

Other than that, it's great. Not a huge difference (ime) to the 1gHz powerbook I use.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2004, 01:23 PM

I've got a dual 450 here. Works just great. I've been lusting after a G5 for a long time, but I can't really justify the expense as X is running fine on my Mac. Compiling could be a little faster, but it's perfectly usable.

One thing to note is that OS X will actually perform better on a dualie than OS 9 in many ways, since it actually takes advantage of that second processor.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 01:27 PM

I used a Dual 450 all the way from the Public Beta to Jag. (now I have a 12" AlBook).

It'll be fine. You won't have QuatrzExtreme with the stock vid card (the Rage 128Pro only supports textures that have dimensions 2^n in size), but everything will run nicely... especially with Panther, I suspect.

And even if an App you're running doesn't support SMP, the OS does, so it'll distribute the processes amongst your CPU's to keep things running nicely.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 04:52 PM

Thank you gus for posting!

The set up will obviously run OK.

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 05:57 PM

I'm pretty content with Panther running on my dual 450. Although a new video card wouldn't hurt, I can't complain too much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules