Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 9.4 DVD-r + Superdrives = ?

9.4 DVD-r + Superdrives = ?
Hack3006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 11:49 PM

Hey there fellows, here's what I am wondering. I have a Dual 1ghz G4 with the superdrive of course. And I am wondering just what that superdrive will do if I were to put a 9.4 DVD-r in there and hit burn. Anybody played around with this stuff yet? Apparently the media is double sided. Just wondering before I haul off and start buying some.

thanks
todd
My toys:
iMac DV G3 400mhz, 1 Gig Ram, 10 Gig Hard drive, 60 Gig external firewire,
USB Iomega cd R/W, USB Iomega ZIP 100, Epson 777

Dual 1 GHz G4 512 RAM, Super Drive, 22 inch studio display, CTX 17 inch monitor,
80 GB, 100 GB, 250 GB hard drives,
Sony VX2000
Epson 2400 Scanner

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 12:28 AM

they're basically two 4.7 discs stuck back to back, meaning you'd have to eject a disc, flip it over, and re-insert it in order to use the second side.

-r.

electropura
Jan 24, 2004, 12:42 AM

DVD-9's are for DVD replicators only. They will not work in a superdrive (or any other consumer/prosumer burners currently available)
I read there are several models being developed that may be available before the year is over, though.

BTW, you would not have to flip it over...they have multiple layers...the laser just stops and refocuses on the next layer on the same side.
You can see this happen on a "Hollywood" dvd, with a momentary stutter about halfway through a movie.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2004, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by electropura:
DVD-9's are for DVD replicators only. They will not work in a superdrive (or any other consumer/prosumer burners currently available)
I read there are several models being developed that may be available before the year is over, though.

BTW, you would not have to flip it over...they have multiple layers...the laser just stops and refocuses on the next layer on the same side.
You can see this happen on a "Hollywood" dvd, with a momentary stutter about halfway through a movie.
Double-sided DVD-R 9.4 is not a dual-layer DVD-9. It is a single-layer DVD-5 on two sides. ie. It's a "flipper" and it burns just fine on a standard DVD burner. (However, I don't see the point. Because they are double-sided it's a lot easier to get your fingerprints all over them, it's easier to scratch them, and there's no way to label them. Plus they cost more than twice the cost of a single-sided DVD-R.)

By the way, dual layer DVD-9's are not burned by DVD replicators either. Each layer is stamped separately, and then the two layers are glued together later.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
thank you.

-r.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 04:14 PM

At the current time there are no dual layer burners, although soon there will be. A few media manufacturers are testing and certifying media right now. The dual layer drives will be out in small quantities before the end of summer. As any new technology, they will probably be a bit more expensive to begin with. No matter what your current Superdrive will NOT be able to burn these discs at all. A new drive will be necessary.

Disk Types:

Single layer, single side - DVD5
Dual layer, single side - DVD9
Single layer, dual side - DVD10
Dual layer, dual side - DVD18

They also have some that are dual layer on one side and single layer on the second side, (DVD13?) these are rare though. Either way, the only DVDs that work in a current superdrive are the DVD5 & DVD 10.

You should be able to directly burn DVD 9 & 18 discs sometime this year after getting a new drive.
--Laurence

kupan787
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Laurence:
You should be able to directly burn DVD 9 & 18 discs sometime this year after getting a new drive.
Maybe not. This was posted over at Appleinsider:

From hardmac.com:
The Pioneer 106 is already a couple of months old. The DVD Forum hasn't yet defined a DVD-R double layer norm.
However, during the CES, Pioneer took a 106 burner and flashed its firmware and without touching anything else burnt a double layer DVD-R.
That's a heavy blow inflicted to the DVD+R Forum which is ahead of Pioneer. Clients will now seek magic firmwares from the manufacturers rather than change the burner.
If this is true (which how could it not be, or else others at CES would have balked at this story), then that means dual layer burning could be possible with current pioneer drives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules