Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backup to MiniDV tape? other permanent/cheap?

Backup to MiniDV tape? other permanent/cheap?
kennedy
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 08:30 PM

The SHORT Question:
Is there any software that can copy normal data files out to a MiniDV tape and then copy them back again????

Why do I ask?

The LONG Question:
I've been running rotating backups of my 80GB Users disk to a 250GB external disk. Quick and easy... copies go four back.

But I'd really rather keep copies much longer... but to do that, I need cheaper media than a 250GB hard disk.

DVD-R's are just too darn small... copying 60GB onto 15 DVD-R's is too painful... and relatively expensive.

In contrast, via iMovie I regularly store my 20-40GB movie projects out to MiniDV tape. MiniDV via Firewire would make a very cheap backup media, if...

Is there any software that can copy normal data files out to a MiniDV tape and then copy them back again????

Thanks!

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 10:25 PM

There isn't. But there might be soon.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 10:51 PM

proton
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 08:06 AM

I really wouldn't recommend using a camcorder for this type of thing. The tape mechanisms just aren't designed for the sort of use that using it as a backup device would do. So while you can do this, it may not be that good for your video camera.

- proton

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by proton:
I really wouldn't recommend using a camcorder for this type of thing. The tape mechanisms just aren't designed for the sort of use that using it as a backup device would do. So while you can do this, it may not be that good for your video camera.

- proton
Can you tell us what is different about dumping data to an AV tape, versus recording or exporting DV from iMovie?
So you are saying that one cannot use a DV cam to continously record 90 minutes of video because they weren't designed to do it?

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 10:28 AM

Why does it only hold 10GB?
Unless I am hallucinating, pulling a full 60 minutes of video off to a DV-stream file in iMovie will be waaayyyyy more than 10GB.

P.S. I would think recording a backup would be light work for a camcorder which is designed to handle long records (you can use it as a VCR, recording or playing a 90 minute show), plus starting & stopping in the middle, rewinding, playing, fast-forwarding back to end, recording again, and so on... all the time stabilizing the image while being vibrated... heat and cold and direct sunlight and humidity... being dropped. Saving off a backup would seem to be a posh job for it. Given I use it for in-car video and for recording my family going down ski runs... I don't see how adding file backup is going to particularly stress it.

proton
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Can you tell us what is different about dumping data to an AV tape, versus recording or exporting DV from iMovie?
So you are saying that one cannot use a DV cam to continously record 90 minutes of video because they weren't designed to do it?
Continuous recording of video like that should be OK, however I'd be more worried about doing that every day. Most consumer grade video cameras wouldn't be designed for that sort of duty every day. Depending on how the software worked, it could also be bad for the camera if you were to be starting/stopping/rewinding etc reguarly.

I was more just making a warning that it would be a good idea to ensure that if you were to do this, to ensure that you weren't going to put undue strain on the camera, which is designed for continuous recording.

- proton

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by kennedy:
Why does it only hold 10GB?
Unless I am hallucinating, pulling a full 60 minutes of video off to a DV-stream file in iMovie will be waaayyyyy more than 10GB.
Can double check with the author, but I'd suspect that parity bits or other error correction would use up extra space.
Perhaps a future version will have some type of built-in compression.

This is a nifty idea, and for occasional archival backups, this might just fit the bill. I'm going to consider buying it myself. There have been times when I need more contiguous capacity than my SuperDrive (4.7GB) can provide.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 12:50 PM

This is the tool you want:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17840

Its certainly a good way to back up large amounts of data - but I think not neccessarily foolproof.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 01:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kennedy:
[B]Why does it only hold 10GB?

One hour of DV format video is about 12 gigs of data.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 25, 2004, 11:51 PM

Ahem... this belongs in the Software forum.

And a quick Google or VersionTracker or MacUpdate search would have found it, anyway.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules