Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help! Upgrading to Superdive; What to Buy?

Help! Upgrading to Superdive; What to Buy?
JasonBourne
Jan 25, 2004, 09:29 PM

I have the DP 1.25 G4 and I dont have the superdrive and I only have the combo drive. Is there a way can I add another drive to my drivebay and install another optical drive? I dont know much about this, if I add a superdive can I burn iDVD movies? How can I open a second a drive there is only one eject button. Is Pioneer DVR A06 compatible do I have to install a software? What is compatible?
Thanks in advance.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2004, 10:02 PM

Pioneer is the brand that Apple usually ships with their machines. I'd suggest going to NewEgg.com and buying the Pioneer DVR-106. It has 4x DVD burning in both DVD-R and DVD+R formats, and it also supports DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Currently it's $121 with free shipping.

As far as installing it, there should be a detailed guide somewhere on XLR8yourmac.com, but good luck finding it. That site is very convoluted and difficult to navigate. Still, inside there should be an IDE cable running from the motherboard to the Combo drive. All you have to do is set the jumper on the drive, put the new drive in place, connect the power, and connect the IDE. The IDE cable has two connectors at the end, one for the main drive and the other for any new drive you may want to add. As for the jumper settings, one has to be Master and the other has to be Slave. Just check the Combo drive to see which it is set to, and set the Superdrive to the other.

Once installed, you can use the eject key to open one drive and option-eject to open the other.
( Last edited by Luca Rescigno; Jan 25, 2004 at 10:21 PM. )

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 10:42 PM

I also have the DP 1.25 G4 that doesn't have the superdrive only the combo drive. I bought a Pioneer DVR-106BLK from Smalldog.com for $120. It is the same as the Pioneer 106D but with the a black bezel(however, the color really doesn't matter.) I'm running Panther, it recognizes the Pioneer as a Super-drive. It works with all the iLife Apps. Apple has instructions on how to install a Second Optical Drive under the support page, just do a search. It's pretty easy to do the PDF has pictures.

Originally posted by JasonBourne:
I have the DP 1.25 G4 and I dont have the superdrive and I only have the combo drive. Is there a way can I add another drive to my drivebay and install another optical drive? I dont know much about this, if I add a superdive can I burn iDVD movies? How can I open a second a drive there is only one eject button. Is Pioneer DVR A06 compatible do I have to install a software? What is compatible?
Thanks in advance.

Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2004, 06:19 PM

I'm in the same boat of looking for the Superdrive alternative and still be able to use iDVD (bundled w/iLife). I heard you had upgrade firmware as well to use Pioneer DVR-106. Is this true and are you guys actually having success burning with iDVD?

Thanks

dual 1.25 G4

Forum Links
Forum Rules