Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > "Portable" iMac?

"Portable" iMac?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 02:49 PM

If you don't schlep your Mac around every day (or even every week), is it worth it to get an iMac instead and drag it around in one of these?

You get more features for your money with an iMac than with a PowerBook, but obviously you sacrifice portability. But as long as it is at least a little more portable than a tower, perhaps I could go for it....

snct
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 10:51 PM

I thought that case was a good idea when it first came out, but the price puts a hurtin' on my wallet from first sight . You could go to a fabric store and buy some nylon material and zippers. Go to a hobby shop and get some plastic sheet, or aluminum sheet for rigidity. Use scissors and a Dremmel tool to cut the patterns and use either a sewing machine, and/or a pop rivet tool to put it all together and come out $270-$300 cheaper.

If you've got the bucks for the Willow unit, then go right ahead. For my money, I've just talked myself into making my own bag for my 15" fp iMac .
--Steve

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 12:59 PM

for the price of a new 15 iMac and a case, you can get a 14" iBook with about the specs as the iMac and just plug it in to at 17" cheap CRT when you aren't moving it.

I had a desktop and bought a very much used powerbook to replace it until they update the powermac (still waiting by the way) and I never thought I would use the laptop as a laptop as much as I do. Even if you think you are going to move it around about 1 every two weeks you will be surprised as I was. You'll just pick it up and take it with you on to the deck and do work outside, take it to LAN parties with ease, use it as a jukebox in the living room, and you will become a laptop user. it's infectious really.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
for the price of a new 15 iMac and a case, you can get a 14" iBook with about the specs as the iMac and just plug it in to at 17" cheap CRT when you aren't moving it.

I had a desktop and bought a very much used powerbook to replace it until they update the powermac (still waiting by the way) and I never thought I would use the laptop as a laptop as much as I do. Even if you think you are going to move it around about 1 every two weeks you will be surprised as I was. You'll just pick it up and take it with you on to the deck and do work outside, take it to LAN parties with ease, use it as a jukebox in the living room, and you will become a laptop user. it's infectious really.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll get the low-end iBook G4 for laptopping and a 20" Apple Cinema Display for my PowerMac G4 450MHz and call it a day. Or I could get a 12" PowerBook to replace them both.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 06:58 PM

A low end iBook G4 would be maybe even better than your current G4. clock speed aside, 133MHz bus, 30GB min hard drive, 32MB graphics card (I think your computer came with only 16 unless you upgraded it) and DDR RAM.

I would get a top of the line 14.1 inch iBook, sell the G4 and wait until the 3GHz barrier is broke and use the money saved (from not buying the display) and the money from the G4 sell to buy a used G5.

But that is just my opinion.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 07:02 PM

For quick reference the specs for the fastest iBook is

1GHz, 60GB hard drive, 256MB DRR RAM, Combo Drive, ATi 9200 32MB, USB 2.0, Airport Extreme Ready, and of course a 14.1 inch screen for 1499.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
For quick reference the specs for the fastest iBook is

1GHz, 60GB hard drive, 256MB DRR RAM, Combo Drive, ATi 9200 32MB, USB 2.0, Airport Extreme Ready, and of course a 14.1 inch screen for 1499.
Thanks. Yeah, I think you may be right. It's hard to justify the extra $500 for the PowerBook 12" when the iBook 12" is so similar. Maybe I would be happiest with the iBook.

I don't want a 14" iBook because the resolution is no greater; it just means bigger pixels and who needs that?

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Feb 1, 2004, 02:21 AM

I moved my 17" imac FP around a lot last year, I put it behind my seat (in the car, drivers seat) and sandwiched it between two pillows.
Not one scratch!!
But i guess this doesn't apply if you don't have a car.

- Zoom Zoom

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 06:59 PM

Yeah I agree with Zoom Zoom, snct's post sounds like something you would hear on New Yankee Workshop, sounds and looks easy to do but rarely anybody even attempts it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules