Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ~What is the ugliest Mac ever made?

~What is the ugliest Mac ever made? (Page 3)
Mr. Bump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 03:38 PM

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2004, 04:11 PM

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Link:
The MDD's are nice but I hate the speaker on the top. 'nuff said. If they had no exposed speaker I'd be tempted to buy one
The QuickSilver had an exposed speaker, so what? And the MDD came with a speaker grille, so your arguement is mute. Plus, based on what you said above, I doubt you have ever seen an MDD in person otherwse you would know how different of a beast it is, inside and out.

I find it funny people have bashed both quicksilver and b&w but not the graphite towers.. those things were horrid, depending on the case. I saw a few that looked more blue but most looked kinda greenish and yucky, much like how the G3s tended to come in two shades, a deep icey blue and a lighter yellowish color that was gross.
I have owned every major Power Mac case. An MDD, a Digital Audio, a B&W and now my QuickSilver.

You are mistaken on pretty much every count. Believe it or not, the way that a machine looks can be affected by the light angle and the quality of the camera. All of the B&Ws looked the same, and the Sawtooth/GigE/DA series case looks nothing like it.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Jan 31, 2004 at 09:31 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Link:
I find it funny people have bashed both quicksilver and b&w but not the graphite towers.. those things were horrid, depending on the case. I saw a few that looked more blue but most looked kinda greenish and yucky, much like how the G3s tended to come in two shades, a deep icey blue and a lighter yellowish color that was gross.
What are you talking about with the colors? That just seems ignorant to me... unless you've seen them in person, you really can't say anything about the colors of the G4s. I have a graphite tower myself and it is not "more blue" nor is it "greenish and yucky." B&W G3s don't come in "a lighter yellowish color that was gross." I think you're looking at pictures taken with cheap digital cameras that have poor color reproduction, and basing your assumptions on those.

I like the graphite towers pretty well, though I do like the lighter Quicksilvers more. Still, I think your reasoning is flawed.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Any Performa.

Whenever I see one of those -- by accident, I assure you --I instinctively need a good stiff drink.
Well, drink away! We still have a 6360 around here (and no one has used it in months and months. I bought it in february 1997.. My two older girls have it in their rooms now, but they use my laptop or one of the two, and newer, wired computers.)

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
What are you talking about with the colors? That just seems ignorant to me... unless you've seen them in person, you really can't say anything about the colors of the G4s. I have a graphite tower myself and it is not "more blue" nor is it "greenish and yucky." B&W G3s don't come in "a lighter yellowish color that was gross." I think you're looking at pictures taken with cheap digital cameras that have poor color reproduction, and basing your assumptions on those.
G4 graphite's definitely changed 'shades' as the years went by. I have a early 350 (bought just after they went to all AGP) it has a painted power button, and is a different shade of 'blueygray' then both the later 400 (clear power button) I used while I was doing web design and the 500 that a friend of mine used at a print shop.
The colour 'evolved' over the life of the case, slowly getting more dark blue and less 'green blue'.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by hagheid:
New G6 pix Ugly?- A recycled G5?

http://homepage.mac.com/crackedbutter/PhotoAlbum18.html
I want one.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2004, 10:33 PM

Quote :"I want one"
posted by radoesch
This 'Mac' guy's had one for years:-
http://www.geocities.com/oorwullie_uk1/htms/facts.htm

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
My vote goes to these:

Any Mac II:
*SNIPPED IMAGE*

The Under the monitor box like the 7100's:
*Snipped image*

Blue and White towers (great idea to give the pro consumers iMac colours):
*Snipped Image*

And the early iBooks. I would have liked it if the screen was bigger but instead when you opened it up you had 2 inches of plastic around the edge. The handle and latch-less opening was cool though:*Snipped Image*

I know most everyone is going to say the G3-all in one but it really wasn't that bad in a school environment. Better then a room full of Orange and green iMacs.
I think the G3 B&W is great. It looks great. It works well. Hmm dee de.
I think the iBooks look cool (except Lime) but weren't that practical until the new ones came out.

I'd go for the 4400.
The Portable didn't look great either.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
of all the macs i've ever seen ... that one

(Mac TV Image)

no contest. *shudder*
I think the LC 520, which is basically the TV in beige, looks uglier.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2004, 01:37 PM

Quadra 900/950

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I want one.
ikea.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
ikea.
Thanks Spheric. For anyone else who's interested, give 'er a click:

There are a few other items with this look, like this set:

And please don't post the timeline pic if you've seen this before, I have a faint memory of seeing this before.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
where's the love, scaughty?
you know where to find me, baybee

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 1, 2004, 03:28 PM

G5 wastebasket, meet G5 trashcan

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood

G5 wastebasket, meet G5 trashcan

This G6 is starting to look better already
iBin :Code Name( Laden)
By assimilating a mundane yet useful domestic product, the casing design celebrates the NEW one-down-manship. This cuckoo would be a winner.
Imagine the dilema; Has he spent all those $$$$s on an all-new G6, or is it simply a waste bin?
The Wastebasket icon in the dock could be reinvented as a blender....the confusion could actually lead to something interesting happening in computing...
As if; I'm off for my tablet now........... ......... .....Think different-Make similar

Forum Links
Forum Rules