Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Post your first GarageBand creation!

Post your first GarageBand creation! (Page 3)
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 02:29 PM

Mine was done mostly on a single processor 1.8 GHz G5 w/512 MB RAM and contains 7 tracks.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 07:09 PM

Here's my first little creation. Made completely from loops, 7 different tracks or so. Not too long, but not too bad either.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 07:19 PM

Here's one from th UK.
I took a 70s cop show theme, a jazz bass and organ groove and a disco beat and myself blowing a whistle and came up with this little ditty.

You just gotta love GarageBand

Crazy man.

http://gbxchange.com/jukebox/music/S...20Groove::.mp3

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 07:24 PM

Here's a little Arc Angels cover.

Living in a Dream

kingskel
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 08:18 PM

I've gotta agree with the "soulless" comment. The app itself is great, but any "music" made with the inluded loops is just kiddieland timewaste - fun to make, but no-one wants to listen to it.

So, you can't write or read music, never played an instrument, and now you're Mozart? Possible, but not likely. More likely you have no aptitude or ear for music, and your resulting "compositions" will display that fact.

Whether people want to admit it or not, it takes intelligence to create great art. GB is a tool, nothing more, like a hammer is a tool. The included loops are broken nails.

I hope people will be creative and use their own loops and samples and make some interesting music. Otherwise, GarageBand will be _in_ the garage, along with the rowing machine and all that other "life changing" commodities people seem to buy as the solution to their troubles.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by kingskel:
I've gotta agree with the "soulless" comment. The app itself is great, but any "music" made with the inluded loops is just kiddieland timewaste - fun to make, but no-one wants to listen to it.

So, you can't write or read music, never played an instrument, and now you're Mozart? Possible, but not likely. More likely you have no aptitude or ear for music, and your resulting "compositions" will display that fact.

Whether people want to admit it or not, it takes intelligence to create great art. GB is a tool, nothing more, like a hammer is a tool. The included loops are broken nails.

I hope people will be creative and use their own loops and samples and make some interesting music. Otherwise, GarageBand will be _in_ the garage, along with the rowing machine and all that other "life changing" commodities people seem to buy as the solution to their troubles.

Big Fat Octopus
Jan 23, 2004, 11:23 PM

Great stuff! The "Make your own music and share it" revolution is beginning.

Whether it is free or not doesn't really matter. The fact that the internet has the ability to cut out the Record Labels and Radio snobs who otherwise dictate what we get to hear is fantastic.

This is what Prince (www.npgmc.com) has been doing for a few years now.

The age has arrived where Superstar or Backyard Band alike can distribute their music without grovelling to the labels and having to suck up to radio and MTV.

Bravo!

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 11:28 PM

Elvis Costello like you never heard him

What's cool about Garageband is how easy its to sample other songs. Thats the way to make your creations a little more soulful. Much easier than Soundtrack because you can loop the samples just by dragging 'em

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 03:38 AM

Unless you know how to edit film using A and B rolls, all these newfangled non-linear editing programs will create soulless garbage!

Dude, unclench.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
Unless you know how to edit film using A and B rolls, all these newfangled non-linear editing programs will create soulless garbage!

Dude, unclench.
OWN3D!

josiahpugh
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 01:58 PM

kingskel
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 07:01 PM

"OWN3D!"

Hardly. Personal comments ("unclench") or meaningless leetspeek are not responses or ideas. Which I'd really be interested in talking about, by the way. Good luck with your "rad" "dudes" and your "[k]"s though.

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 07:17 PM

My first try on a lil self-written thing... recorded with an iPod mic by Belkin... arranged with GarageBand...

Listen to 'German Secret Lova' (mp3)
Listen to 'Community Threats' (mp3)

- Thilo
( Last edited by Thilo Ettelt; Jan 25, 2004 at 09:28 AM. )

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 09:57 PM

"OWN3D!"

Hardly. Personal comments ("unclench") or meaningless leetspeek are not responses or ideas. Which I'd really be interested in talking about, by the way. Good luck with your "rad" "dudes" and your "[k]"s though.
That's interesting, because your post contained nothing but aesthetic judgements and ad hominem attacks. If you want to discuss some ideas, I'd suggest you post some. "[K]iddieland timewaste" is not an idea.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 09:40 PM

So don't listen to it then.

I doubt anyone here seriously thinks they're breaking new ground or anything. We're all just having fun and sharing the results.

Why does some dick always have to come along and ruin the fun for people under the guise of a "reality check"�

geekwagon
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
Why does some dick always have to come along and ruin the fun for people under the guise of a "reality check"�
Because pushing other people down is the easiest way for some to feel better about themselves.

That, and people suck.

kingskel
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 10:30 PM

What's up w/the name calling?

Don Pickett: Here's the "idea" - the included loops are boring, and the idea of uploading "creations" made with them is not only pointless, it's a waste of space and time. I also encouraged people to use their own loops. (It's funny how some people can be down on corporate bands like Britney or Justin, yet at the same time promote the music made and provided by another corporation. One wonders how some might react if GB had been made by MS)I hope that's clear enough for you. Now, _you_ come up with some ideas rather than just pointless insults.

goober and geek: Though, yeah, I _won't_ listen to it, I don't say you shouldn't. Go ahead and have your fun.

Moose
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 11:42 PM

Classical Piano and Upright Jazz Bass combine in the beautiful (at least when professionals--not hack amateurs like me--play it) jazz standard "Tenderly."

OpenStep
Senior User
Jan 26, 2004, 01:01 AM

I just installed Garage Band tonight and here's my first unfinished creation:

http://homepage.mac.com/smiganowicz/.Music/Bounced.m4a
( Last edited by OpenStep; Jan 27, 2004 at 07:57 AM. )

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 11:23 AM

�the idea of uploading "creations" made with them is not only pointless, it's a waste of space and time�
Well, that's your opinion.

Um, yeah. I have my "creation" hosted on my own freaking server, so I'm wasting my own space. Why are you so concerned?

Did you ever stop to think that GB could be a stepping stone for some who maybe haven't had access to musical instruments before? Perhaps this will kindle a passion within them to start to "create" some "real" music that is somehow worthy in your eyes.

Veronica
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2004, 01:15 PM

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Veronica:
Check it out :-D

That was fun. How much of it is original/loops??

Keep 'em coming.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

splatq
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2004, 07:30 PM

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 07:56 PM

You guys who are saying GB is "pointless" and "boring" because it has a library of loops, are missing the point. Yes, it is possible to make an entire song out of pre-recorded loops, and many people will at first. But the real creativity will start when people start adding their own compositions though a keyboard, or add vocal or guitar tracks. The true meaning of the loops is mearly a compliment to the "real" music. So one person, who plays guitar, for example, can easily add drums, bass, synth, whatever, to back up their own playing without the need of a full band.

That is the truth behind this. And that is not pointless. It's good software.

If you want an example of this, check the track I posted earlier. Only loops in there are the drums. The rest is "real" guitar.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2004, 08:17 PM

Im going to have to dust off my Strat and find my "Learn to play Guitar" book. Well, the Strat is in its case and I dont know where the book is...I'll prob end up taking some courses.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 10:53 PM

posted my first song. its mainly experimental. it uses loops and soft synths from GB and JP. there also some acid loops and some i downloaded in there. it used minimal chopping/adjusting...but there was quite a bit. working on 2 other tracks that are much less loop dependent. have a listen. tell me what ya think.

http://macsatin.spymac.net
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 12:43 AM

I have 4 tunes here.

Funky Monkey was my first tune. It came together in about 20 minutes. I've just had this tune running through my head for a while and thought that GB would be a good tool to bring it to life.

I have three others there as well. In total my tunes have been played over 1250 times and downloaded over 100 times.

Comments, suggestions, critiques welcome.
Jim

Veronica
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
That was fun. How much of it is original/loops??
That's Veronica's secret

JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2004, 06:05 PM

my 2 cents for this thread

http://homepage.mac.com/dual533/.Public/Bounced.m4a

have fun
JC

JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by splatq:
Goofing Off
This tune kicks ass. Love it !!!

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2004, 06:31 PM

Found this pretty interesting ... Heavy Stuff

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 09:52 PM

Shameless Plug.

http://www.macidol.com/news_story.php?id=17

Thank you all.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2004, 10:44 PM

to those who own a Powerbook G4 in this thread...

Are you able to use Garageband fairly problem-free? I am going to upgrade to a PB12 to replace my iBook and a large part of the decision is based around me wanting to use Garageband effectively.

I've read the comments from some people regarding the demo tunes not playing very well (disk slow errors etc) which doesn't bother me too much - but how about when you create your own music?

How many tracks can I realistically expect to use without problems?

I'm thinking maybe 2/3 for loops, and 2/3 for software instruments. Is the PB12 going to have enough "oomph"?

cheers
YF
http://www.yongfook.com

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 01:57 AM

Here's a track ive been working on. Everthing but the drums are live (many takes--im not a good guitar player!)

http://www.paulperreault.com/pub/garageband_sample1.mp3

As discussed in another thread, I bought an adapter from Radio Shack for $3.99...

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 02:18 AM

here's mine

done entirely with loops, I think it turned out alright.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 04:50 AM

eh, i was bored and put this together. i have no musical talent, so me plugging in a keyboard and making something is in the very distant future. i do want to learn to play the piano.

but until then, i'm gonna have fun with loops and editing loops.

eclecticity. eclectic 'cause i got no idea if it would ever fit into a genre.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2004, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by yongfook:
to those who own a Powerbook G4 in this thread...

Are you able to use Garageband fairly problem-free? I am going to upgrade to a PB12 to replace my iBook and a large part of the decision is based around me wanting to use Garageband effectively.

I've read the comments from some people regarding the demo tunes not playing very well (disk slow errors etc) which doesn't bother me too much - but how about when you create your own music?

How many tracks can I realistically expect to use without problems?

I'm thinking maybe 2/3 for loops, and 2/3 for software instruments. Is the PB12 going to have enough "oomph"?

cheers
YF
I have an iBook G4 and have only seen issues when on battery power and "automatic" processor performance. So it was running on lowest to conserve battery. When it's on highest I see no problems.

I've never had a huge compilation though. But no complaints.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I have an iBook G4 and have only seen issues when on battery power and "automatic" processor performance. So it was running on lowest to conserve battery. When it's on highest I see no problems.

I've never had a huge compilation though. But no complaints.
I have an iBook G4 800mhz. At first, all the demos played OK. Then, later on, I started to get the "Disk too slow" messages when playing the demoes.

I then ran Diskwarrior and it fixed several errors on my disk. After this, everything runs fine, also on battery and set to "automatic". Seems that the performance of the iBook disks and CPU are at the lower range for acceptable performance in garageband with creations containing many tracks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:11 AM

We have a Powerbook 17" 1Ghz and GarageBand has got to use the most CPU of any musical software I have ever used. I feel back to OS 9 days with having to quit every app before using it problem free. We use about 8 tracks with maybe one or two software instruments. Effects are added in the end.

Still we have to quit and relaunch GB when it inexplicably start giving us the too slow errors

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 10:31 AM

My TiBook 1ghz runs GarageBand wonderfully. not as good as my 2x2 G5...but then again...what would
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 12:58 PM

my 1ghz 12" works great. i am normally playing around in garageband with mail, safari, proteus, and itunes open.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 02:34 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/alasaracina/...-with-Jeff.mp3

P.S after 2 minutes my friend just goes crazy w/ his guitar....so ignore that, as i didn't cut it down.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 09:41 PM

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 06:34 PM

Wow. This thread amazes me - at least some of the stuff.

I'd post mine, but it's made straight-up with loops, and that's not so hot. The songs with loops here kind of stick out, so... I'll try to avoid being another "oooh, look at me."

Even though I really want to be

Keep 'em coming! Someone sing for us!

I really liked the thursdank one, whoever made that... I lost track of my clicking and tabs opening in safari. Still, nice song! I could imagine a lot of these making great background music for iMovies and photo slide shows. I think GarageBand should automatically add a contact email and phone number (at least email) in the default fields in iTunes, so people know who to contact if they want to use the music in some presentation. Just think about the possibilities there...

gadster
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 07:20 AM

This is my 3rd creation. Anyone want the GB file? Funky
e-gads

coconut
Jan 30, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
http://homepage.mac.com/alasaracina/...-with-Jeff.mp3

P.S after 2 minutes my friend just goes crazy w/ his guitar....so ignore that, as i didn't cut it down.
I'm a big fan of Oasis. That was really nice!
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2004, 09:43 PM

Here's a brief, almost-all-loops clip I created this past week. It's about 19 separate tracks, and IMO, sounds best with earphones to pick out some of the layers. The only non-loop part is the bass line, which I created with the virtual keyboard (it's not totally useless!).

Synthesis

P.S. - I wish I was more imaginative, but I think using Garageband over time will stimulate the creativity. Some here have already got it - there's some good stuff in this thread!

JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2004, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Here's a brief, almost-all-loops clip I created this past week. It's about 19 separate tracks, and IMO, sounds best with earphones to pick out some of the layers. The only non-loop part is the bass line, which I created with the virtual keyboard (it's not totally useless!).

Synthesis

P.S. - I wish I was more imaginative, but I think using Garageband over time will stimulate the creativity. Some here have already got it - there's some good stuff in this thread!
Awesome xi-hyperon

badtz
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 04:49 AM

Space Kick

Made this quickie earlier today

splatq
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2004, 07:08 PM

Here's another one I screwed around with...

Shaft 2k4

Yeah, it came out like some cheesy porno flick music, but I kinda like it.

Here's the GarageBand files from both songs I've posted:

Shaft 2k4

Industrial

Someone should start a thread with GarageBand files so we can see how others are making their music...

Forum Links
Forum Rules