Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Read Apple Mags?

Read Apple Mags?
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2004, 05:09 PM

Which do you enjoy reading?

Do you subscribe to any?

Apple gave me a years worth of one, but I dont remeber which it was....

I just bought the new Mac Addict which I rather enjoy
Who reads this???

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2004, 05:12 PM

I enjoy Mac addict... but at times I feel like the print gap (1-2 months) kills the "news" section considering I can get all my up to date news with MacNN.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 05:14 PM

i subscribe to MacWorld just because i got a cheap deal awhile back, like a dollar an issue....its good bathroom reading

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2004, 06:13 PM

I used to subscribe to Macworld and MacAddict. I felt that Macworld was targeted to creative professionals far too much for it to be enjoyable by the average reader, so I never renewed. I kept MacAddict for about two years, but then I got sick of the lack of appealing content and the already-6-month-old-demoware that they were including on the monthly CDs, so I never renewed that.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 1, 2004, 06:21 PM

I subscribe to MacUser, which is a British Mac magazine. I have to admit that I don't really get much out of it, as it's a month or so behind the latest news - there is a few pages of interesting design stuff though, and the occasional good tutorial.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 06:34 PM

I used to buy Mac Addict before I started reading Mac sites, then I bought a subscription to MacWorld cause my cousins were selling mag subscriptions... for the most part they're kinda outdated before they're printed...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 06:41 PM

subscribed to MacAddict with my United Milage

I sometimes buy MacFormat or MacWorld in Barnes & Noble.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I used to subscribe to Macworld and MacAddict. I felt that Macworld was targeted to creative professionals far too much for it to be enjoyable by the average reader, so I never renewed. I kept MacAddict for about two years, but then I got sick of the lack of appealing content and the already-6-month-old-demoware that they were including on the monthly CDs, so I never renewed that.
You described my situation EXACTLY. I have renewed MacAddict because I get it for like $1/issue w/ no CDs.

EDIT: I also cancelled MacWorld because I was tired of paying 60+ pages of advertising.
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Feb 2, 2004 at 06:13 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2004, 07:27 PM

I would pick up MacAddict once and a while in the store, but it's somewhere around 7.99 and issue now? WTF?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2004, 07:28 PM

Plus, MacWorld's articles are either WAY to beginner or to advanced.

John C. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I would pick up MacAddict once and a while in the store, but it's somewhere around 7.99 and issue now? WTF?
It's trying to be more like Apple-- it wants to occupy 1.8% of the Mac Magazine Market.

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2004, 11:43 PM

I subscribed to both MacWorld and MacAddict. I enjoy then both, but think that MacAddict is a little too juvenile for my tastes. It seems as though it's mocking itself... and the Art Direction... uhg! It has gotten better in the last couple of years though.

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 11:46 PM

I read both Mac Addict and MacWorld but in the last year or so MacWorld has really become very lame. Mac Addict I find useful so I've kept it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 2, 2004, 12:40 AM

I used to read Macworld Australia from time to time, a very dry, almost empty piece of literature geared towards new mac users. From time to time it had an interstesing article, but most of all it was a wrap of overpriced products, and something about microsoft office.

My harsh opinion may be easier to understand by folks who have seen some of the Apple magazines available here in Japan. These are very cool, the design and layout is spectacular, like almost all litarature here in Japan. The content is fantastic too, with articles and guides on how to do many things, including mods and hacks as well as industry opinions from Japan and the world, oh yea and they also have Apple otaku manga.. awesome.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 12:47 AM

MacWorld: boring articles most of the time

MacAddict: the graphics are a little over-do

I miss the day of MacWeek. It was one of the greatest mag I've subscribed. I still read MacAddict from time to time though cuz of its sometime great sense of humor.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2004, 04:39 AM

Back when MacUser and Macworld were separate magazines in the U.S., their archrivalry kept them both on their toes, and both were excellent magazines. Once they merged, the new Macworld quickly degenerated into a rag (not to mention became very thin).

IMHO, there isn't a truly good Mac magazine in the English language (although MacFormat from the UK is by far the best). The best Mac magazine I've found, by far, is MacUP from Germany. Of course, you have to be able to read German to enjoy it!

tooki

Cipher13
Feb 2, 2004, 10:29 AM

We get "MacWorld Australia" here, and it blows, basically.

All advertising, and lame articles.

I'm not gonna gain anything by reading them.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
We get "MacWorld Australia" here, and it blows,
Yeah... just got given a copy of it (i'm in the US) and it is bad...[retch]

-

MacWorld -subscribe
Macaddict -subscribe

MacUser- when I can get it

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 02:18 AM

MacWorld is too bland.

MacAddict I like. Sure its old news and I don't particularly like the staff but I like their page layouts. Yeah it looks like X-Box Insider and every other Imagine Publication but they got the magazine format down. Part Res, Rolling Stone and Good Housekeeping makes for great bathroom/subway reading.

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 02:40 AM

I brought my first mac Magazine the other day actually.

mac World Australia, I was pretty crappie
so i went and brought Mac World US Ed.
I didn't mind it, the dvd had heaps of stuff and info on it, so i enjoyed

- zoom zoom

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 10:48 PM

Macworld... I like it
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

variable06
Feb 3, 2004, 10:52 PM

I subscribed to MacUser back before it merged into MacWorld, at that point I just let the subscription run out and never renewed it. Apple did give me a free electronic subscription to MacWorld when I got my PowerBook but I haven't downloaded any new issues in a while.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Daracle:
Which do you enjoy reading?

Do you subscribe to any?

Apple gave me a years worth of one, but I dont remeber which it was....

I just bought the new Mac Addict which I rather enjoy
I subscribe to both Macworld and MacAddict. Overall, i think MacAddict is a better choice because of good unix tips at the end of each issue and other tips as well. But I still enjoy reading both each month. I'm on my second year of subscription now for both magazines.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:
I used to read Macworld Australia from time to time, a very dry, almost empty piece of literature geared towards new mac users. From time to time it had an interstesing article, but most of all it was a wrap of overpriced products, and something about microsoft office.

My harsh opinion may be easier to understand by folks who have seen some of the Apple magazines available here in Japan. These are very cool, the design and layout is spectacular, like almost all litarature here in Japan. The content is fantastic too, with articles and guides on how to do many things, including mods and hacks as well as industry opinions from Japan and the world, oh yea and they also have Apple otaku manga.. awesome.
Man... I wish they have Apple Magazines like the ones in Japan here in the US. The US magazines are just way to plain compare to magazines from asia... Do they have any of the magazines printed in english? or a way to read it in english like maybe online? The magazines here in the states looks like it was made by people who ran out of creativity when it comes to designs and layouts for their magazines...

Thanks,

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

D. Hendrickson
Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Feb 4, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by variable06:
I subscribed to MacUser back before it merged into MacWorld, at that point I just let the subscription run out and never renewed it.
same here. MacUser was fun to read, MacWorld a bit boring...

Forum Links
Forum Rules