Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Infocus x1 or BenQ PB6100

Infocus x1 or BenQ PB6100
jersey
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 08:06 PM

Infocus x1 or BenQ PB6100.....

Does anyone here own either of these or could offer an informed opinion? I have to purchase 2 projectors very soon for a gallery exhibition, and I'm not so sure which one to choose. Both are DLP. (I have decided to go Dlp because the blacks are deeper, color is more true and contrast is greater) The Infocus unit has recieved many good reviews ,however the design and technology are more than 1 year old, the 6100 has the most recent set of chips in it.

any suggestions?

Thanks

-j

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 10:03 AM

I was looking at a DLP projector--the X1 in particular--but I kept reading reviews about this "rainbow effect" that DLP projectors seem to have. Since my projector would be used to present to large groups, this was an issue since some people will find that very annoying. Depending on the use of your projector, you may want to consider that.

BTW, I ended up getting a Toshiba LCD projector.

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 02:24 PM

yeah i was reading about that, and only those that are really sensitive seem to experience it any more. they claim to have "fixed" the problem. what they did was: normally on the disc there were four sections R,G,B and clear for white. the colors were cycled 1x per rotation and a lot of people saw the rainbow artifact. so the doubled up the color blocks, so now each color is refreshed twice for every one rotation. seems logical. i have read reviews of the x1 were people still experience the problem. i have yet to find a benq review where they do. plus i feel i need dlp for the color accuracy and deeper black.

cambro
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 04:09 PM

Dug up this old thread on search and thought it would be worth adding a comment:

The bottom line...The X1 is AMAZING. I thought long and hard about what to get and I was skeptical. However, BestBuy had a sale (knew I could return it) and I went for it. When I turned the thing on, I was blown away.

You should see the iTunes visuals on this thing!!!! It is awesome. Looks just as good if not better than on my Ghz TiBook, and that is no joke. Absolutely NO "rainbows" to worry about in these at all. I'm projecting onto a $85, 70" (that's almost SIX FEET) Dalite screen.

Speaking of rainbows...that is not a very good word for them. They are NOT rainbows but very short flashes of rather narrow RGB bands or fields that sometimes occur on the edges of some objects on some scences of DVDs. As I've mentioned, I've seen these exceedingly rarely (i.e., almost never) on the iTunes visuals and I've yet to see them during normal projection of my PB desktop image etc. (did I mention how spectacular the iTunes visuals are?!?!?). That said, I can see them on some scenes of DVDs. But before the bad, let's talk good...

When I first popped in the Fellowship DVD (using Ghz TiBook to output the video), I was once again absolutely blown away. The picture color, contrast, sharpness, brightness, everything was much, much better than I was expecting, even with default settings. I saw absolutely no evidence of pixelation of any kind! I sit at 1.5x screen width, but even getting closer, the pixels are well concealed and blended. It is a photographic image. The 16:9 projection of the DVD was also perfect. Most TV images I've seen look worse, and please tell me what you'd have to pay to get a 6 FOOT wide 4:3 TV screen?

Rainbows are RARE. They occur, but only during very brief flashes in a few scenes (seems to happen most during light-dark juxtaposition). I have sharp eyes and I was looking for them. I suspect someone just sitting down with no knowledge of the problem wouldn't even say anything or notice particularly. Personally, I was very, very worried about this before having actually seen an X1 at work, but I found the RGB bands not only rarely visible, but even when present, completely tolerable, partly because of how short-lived they are.

The image brightness is decent. I first turned the projector on during the day, with the blinds drawn and the picture was not bad at all. Again, I'm using a DaLite screen (cost $85), which I'm sure offers some significant help here. Watching stuff with ambient light should not be a problem (though of course the darker the better).

Anyway, this was a long review to say that the X1 has lived up to and surpassed all of my expectations. The RGB bands are there for sure, but they are FAR less insidious than the banter on the web would lead you to believe. The quality of the picture more than makes up for any minor distraction that occassional color bands on the edges of objects might cause.

EDIT:: just watched something on sunny day...obviously when the room is bright the picture is not as good.
( Last edited by cambro; Jan 25, 2004 at 06:56 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 12:14 AM

From my experience I would not agree that DLP colors are more true. We are a design firm that presents primarily still images DLP projectors tend to lack intensity in the reds and appear muddy. The lcd projectors appear to have better color but lower contrast. I would compare the 2 alternatives side by side before you buy. Your eyes are the only review that matter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules