Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sat. night drunk topic: WTF does your username mean?

Sat. night drunk topic: WTF does your username mean? (Page 2)
fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2003, 07:26 PM

Mine is from a web site I used to run...

fatmac(blah blah).com

Used to be a really, really popular site I chose moron just for the heck of it...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 07:29 PM

I have no idea why I picked my nick.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 07:43 PM

It means I had brief uninspired, non-creative moment when I registered the one day I came to this site looking for help with OS9. If I knew I'd stick around this long I would've changed it to something better long ago.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

insha
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 08:09 PM

My username means Will (as in "the faculty or power of the mind by which we decide to do or not to do") -- It's short, to the point and suits me very well.

As this 'faculty of mind' lead me to my Mac (TiBook 550) and thus to a beginning of a wonderful life.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by insha:
My username means Will (as in "the faculty or power of the mind by which we decide to do or not to do")
What language, if you don't mind sharing?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 08:25 PM

ironknee = irony

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 08:35 PM

I used to have a different handle entirely, dating back to the mid-80's hacking scene. Then I discovered the world of on-line games (like Quake, etc). Trouble was, I suck. I was always getting killed. A friend of mine started calling me a "cadaver" whenever I logged on to my favorite game server. The name "Cadaver" just kind of stuck. I'm still pretty bad at Quake/UT style games, too.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 08:51 PM

DC is my initials and where I live. macdaddy is a nickname I got from an old flame who was a Mac user and continually impressed by my ability to fix her computer. This was way before the term macdaddy gained its cach� in urban slang--We're talking OS 7.6/ OS 8 era here. I've been dcmacdaddy on the net for over six years now; kinda weird to think I have another identity that long-lasting.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 09:06 PM

I was watching ...

and my lucky # is 13.

insha
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
What language, if you don't mind sharing?
Opps... I knew I forgot something -- Insha in Arabic a form of it which roughly translates to mean 'Will'.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 09:26 PM

Used to play CS with friends, and I used to be SDawg. S is the first letter in my first name. I think one of the other guys was JDawg so I copied the 'Dawg' part of his name. More just a taunt or tease than anything. Anyway, we would run around killing each other and this guy would say "You just got gank-ta-fied (sp?)" or "You just got ganked" or something similar with the work gank in it. I kinda liked the word gank so I added the dawg and voila!

namannik
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 09:37 PM

Mine's my last name backwards. That's all.

scadboy
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 09:43 PM

Well, I am a boy, who went to SCAD, the savannah college of art and design. Now that I've graduated, I've started using michael, my first name. But when that's not available, I use chirograph, which describes anything written by hand.

you'd be surprised how easy it is to get a basic name like michael on some newer services, it seems people are conditioned to picking out esoteric screennames, so the more common names go unused and are easy to snatch up more often than you'd think.

ciao,

michael

Scifience
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 10:40 PM

A combination of "science" and "fiction" that includes all the letters of both original words.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2003, 10:51 PM

I believe I misspelled ryan (my name) ryaxn a long time ago, added b for Butler (my last name,) and voli�, a username.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

A Random Walk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 11:22 PM

I liked the book. However, the phrase describes me pretty well.

GameDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 01:18 AM

Gamedog, cuz I breed game dogs.

American Pit Bull Terriers

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 03:27 AM

Double entendre.

Dubya because there's a big fat W in my name, and Dealer because I'm a part time croupier.

But of course other interpretations are allowed.

ghotirsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 03:48 AM

It's a play on English spelling rules applied to my last name. The sd is for san diego, where I am now. So I guess I'll be changing it in the future, cuz I'm leaving SD.
For the grammatically and languistically challenged, think, "touGH wOmen (not woman, women) acTIon"
JabberId: [email protected]

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 04:21 AM

Jansar Riviera is the name I made up for a character in my fantasy story called "River of Dreams" that I eventually turned into a movie script. Since then, I've made a sequel, but Jansar doesn't return, only a similar character named Jan Rivera (as the story also takes place 200 years later).
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

ghotirking
Feb 6, 2004, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by ghotirsd:
It's a play on English spelling rules applied to my last name. The sd is for san diego, where I am now. So I guess I'll be changing it in the future, cuz I'm leaving SD.
For the grammatically and languistically challenged, think, "touGH wOmen (not woman, women) acTIon"
Since I'm leaving SD, I re-registered.
Same scoop, but it's 'fisher king'

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 04:45 AM

My user name can draw it's origins from MacAddict's forums.

Back in 2001, before I had a Mac but was obsessed with getting one, I decided that I wanted to jump into the message board scene on many Mac sites. When I tried to register MacMan @ MacAddict, I found that it was taken. So I one-upped the guy that registered it by creating PowerMacMan. I decided to drag the name with me to every message board I go to for simple recognition. I hate the name, I just don't care anymore.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Silencer
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 06:49 AM

My name comes from the fact I had a tendancy to reply to a thread and my comment would usually grind the topic to a halt, unintentionally of course, hence Silencer.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 07:13 AM

This is too easy.
Aloha

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I love canoe-tripping. The picture in my sig is of a lake in Algonquin Park in Ontario. So I took the name voyageur, from the French-Canadian trappers and explorers who went all through the North Woods in their canoes.
Although someone more knowledgeable in French than I has told me the feminine form should be "voyageuse".
Yeah, that threw me a bit... but it works.

EDIT: Mine's from my AIM screen name, which is pretty unoriginal. I go to Virginia Commonwealth University, and my initials are TAG.

::shrug:: What do you want?

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 10:29 AM

Well, for some time I worked on the 'net under a different handle, but one day stumbled on this one. It just sort of stuck, probably because it's easy to type.

It's the alternate spelling of the generic name for the fat-head minnow. I just kind of liked having a name that translated, at least for ichthyologists, to fat-head.
That, and no one is ever going to compete with me for the handle no matter what site or service I use.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

maebug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 11:48 AM

mae = my middle name
bug = my nick which is what everyone calls me

i dunno, i guess i thought it was cute er sumpthin' >_>

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 12:26 PM

*poof*
( Last edited by ghost_flash; Feb 6, 2004 at 02:25 PM. )

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 06:12 PM

It's my viewpoint re. computer os...

I mean, honestly.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

swrate
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 09:43 PM

sw, its closest to me as can be, ever since i was a kid i signed my poems stories or paintings sw
it also means time in old egyptian
sw rate
swrate is also an arabic work, picture parable
"Those people so uptight, they sure know how to make a mess"

Saddam H.
Banned
Location: An interrogation cell in Qatar, begging for my apostatic soul as I fink on my accomplices: Chirac, Schroder, and Putin.
Feb 6, 2004, 10:13 PM

I take my niks from dead or captured Queda or Taliban terrorists and try to splice in some clever location and sig. This Saddam nik is kind of out of character, but fresh faces to draw from have been few and far between lately.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 10:36 PM

Cheering + Rickey + Henderson = gorickey

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 12:59 AM

River of Dreams exerpt

Jansar continues down the hall, enters the elevator, goes up, and eventually walks into Dr. Lynch�s office. Dr. Lynch is a short, jovial man, who seems to be preoccupied with his business.

Dr. Lynch
Hello, how may I be of your assistance?

Jansar
I originally came here to see Dr. Leslie, but just now heard about what happened to him. I�m here to find out about an experiment he conducted here twenty years ago.

Dr. Lynch
Which experiment would that be?

Jansar
The one involving Crystals from Hadera Mountain. Human testing.

Dr. Lynch
I�m afraid that I cannot give you that information.

Jansar
Trust me, sir. My life depends upon it.

Dr. Lynch
Why is that?

Jansar
I was the experiment.

Dr. Lynch
(Staring at Jansar with wide eyes) What�s your name?

Jansar
My name is Jansar Riviera.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

valdur
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 01:09 AM

mine means "dark power" in eldarin/quenyan/elvish..whatever you wanna call it...

dur = dark
val = power

according to the silmarillion...

frodo lives

faragbre967
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 03:50 AM

Faragbre343

Faragbre - Brent Farago (My name)

967 - Random numbers

Edit: Used to be 343 - as in 343 Guilty Spark

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 03:57 AM

Kottonmouth Kings used to be my fav. band. Therefore Kottonmouth King Kid aka kmkkid

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Scifience:
A combination of "science" and "fiction" that includes all the letters of both original words.
Where's the 't' and 'o' then?

Chris

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 04:13 AM

from a weird al song where he cuts off a man's arms and legs with a chainsaw, and the man always complains about it. weird al says, i don't know what he's complaining about, now he's got a cute nickname.... torsoboy!

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 12:46 PM

A few years back...in 96/97...I was really big into LAN parties, and such. Quake was THE game, and this group of guys I used to get together with...when we'd play Quake, we'd always switch up our Screen Names...just coming up with new ones all the time, to be funny. Well...one time, I used Minty Fresh (thinking of, you know...minty fresh breath)...and well, everyone loved it, and it kinda stuck.

Later it would become my User Name for just about everything...from forums, AIM, IRC, P2P, to games...and evetually I used it in naming a division of my Art Studio.

That's pretty much it...

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 7, 2004, 12:57 PM

In the short fiction works of Cordwainer Smith, the Daimoni were a mysterious race of vaguely angel-like aliens (maybe?) who were known to produce indestructible architecture... that you could also easily take apart and reassemble. Yeah, weird. They also had Instant Messaging technology.

By the way, these stories were written in the early 1950s.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 02:15 PM

I was said something that pissed off blackgriffen in some political thread a few years ago, and he called me "a puddle of rat spittle". I thought that was such a strange and great insult, I took it for my username on the spot.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Saddam H.
Banned
Location: An interrogation cell in Qatar, begging for my apostatic soul as I fink on my accomplices: Chirac, Schroder, and Putin.
Feb 7, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Ratspittle:
I was said something that pissed off blackgriffen in some political thread a few years ago, and he called me "a puddle of rat spittle". I thought that was such a strange and great insult, I took it for my username on the spot.
hahah that's cool. I have wondered about that for a long time.

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 03:52 PM

FeLiZeCaT is like a way to conjure up my previous multiple personalities disorder...

In another website, I used to have like 10 different nicks...

To save some typing and registration time, I decided to have one with 9 lives...

I am better now.

;o)

PS: and of course it comes from Felix The Cat, pronounced with a very strong French accent. But I am not French. I do have the accent though...
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 04:15 PM

because my last name starts with mosc. People can't spell my last name and it sounds weird when people call me my last name in the hallways of school and stuff. So i made it mosco. I have also been called moscar, moscow, mosci, mosc, mos, and some other variations.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2004, 01:35 AM

Mine comes from the song "Triangle Man," by They Might Be Giants.

Back in the days when you didn't have to be registered to post in these forums, I wanted to answer a question someone posted. I didn't want to register, and I wanted to use something "generic." I figured the word "person" was generic enough, but then I thought of the TMBG song, and added "Man." I must have made 10 or 12 posts as unregistered Person Man, and then came the day the forums required registration to post, so I registered the name.

It took a year or two before someone picked up on the reference
( Last edited by Person Man; Feb 8, 2004 at 01:49 AM. )

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Silencer:
My name comes from the fact I had a tendancy to reply to a thread and my comment would usually grind the topic to a halt, unintentionally of course, hence Silencer.
i have the same "problem"

oh, yeah: mike one
mike is like the most ghetto name, every moron AND THEIR brother is named mike, cross that name with a keen understanding of graffiti nomenclature and you get 'mike one,' like i'm the first mike, #1 or something lame like that...i could've been mike 315 or mike 007 or something =ally as dumb....

anyway, none of my friends call me mike or michael or anything like that.

WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2004, 07:52 PM

WiggMuffin:

Ender Wiggin from Ender's Game and, well, Muffin

I was going to switch to my other alias, (which I like better) Daveecee2, but something went wrong and I can't log into it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 8, 2004, 09:20 PM

My nick has no meaning. It's just a name I made up a long time ago.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Where's the 't' and 'o' then?

Chris
Damn! That's what I get for posting at 1AM.

Anyway, you get the idea as to the origins of the name.

John C. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 10:02 PM

the story of John C. Smith is a long and fascinating one. really.

3 years ago, when I discovered that the internet could be useful for wasting time by doing things other than downloading porn, I decided to sign up to MacNN as John B. Smith. I was in secondary school then, and I had my parents convinced that I actually needed a computer to do work. "I'm working mum, see? I'm using the computer." Actually I just wasted time drawing crap pictures and posting them in the lounge for my own amusement. Then school and other things began to consume my time, so I had to take a break.

A few years later, my children, I logged back on to MacNN as John B. Smith. this time though I was at uni, and instead of crap pictures, I decided to post crap plagarised poems. so many crap poems, in fact, that I was banned from the lounge. so, I had a cunning plan to register a new screen name. Clearly C comes after B, so John B. Smith was reincarnated as John C. Smith. But that begs the question. Where did the name John B. Smith come from? Well, bla bla bla bla bla bla and I just made it up for no reason. The end.

tall and tan and young and lovely

Forum Links
Forum Rules