Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help me play some practical jokes on my colleague...

Help me play some practical jokes on my colleague...
dice
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 10:19 AM

Hi

I want to play some jokes on a work colleague. I can ssh into his machine but I am not an admin, are there ways to affect his machine over ssh without admin passwords. I tried an osascript but it gave an error.

NOTE: I know some of you will say this is wrong but it's just a joke and he will work out it is me pretty quickly and probably plot some suitable sort of revenge.

btw we both run 10.2

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 10:53 AM

Working hard I see, eh? Bored?

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 11:11 AM

Without an admin account, there isn't much you can do. You could crash his machine...

There's nothing that I can think of that would be funny, though.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 11:39 AM

If the "victim" is running Panther you could try the say command�

i.e. I can ssh into one of my other Macs running Panther and:

say "you are being watched"
see: man say

edit -- err. Never mind. I see you're both running Jaguar�

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
If the "victim" is running Panther you could try the say command�

i.e. I can ssh into one of my other Macs running Panther and:

see: man say

edit -- err. Never mind. I see you're both running Jaguar�
I just did that to my boss...priceless!!!
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 01:24 PM

never knew about that say command that is a great one, and now its time for some jokes.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2004, 02:58 PM

take a sreenshot with nothing running (or whatever you like)

take all the stuff on his desktop and put it in a folder in the users directory.

hide the dock

set the screenshot as his new desktop.

if you really want you could disable his right click on his mouse. (usb overdrive)

i love this one. i just dont know how much he knows or doesnt know.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2004, 03:14 PM

Take a screengrab of a kernel panic, save it to his machine, then ssh in to the machine and use the open command to open the file in his face. It'll probably open in Preview, so It won't take too long to figure out it's not a real panic, but it'll still be good for a laugh.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

redJag
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 04:29 PM

Depends on how his computer is setup, but back in the OS 9 days I liked to write a short program and put the HD icon on it, the change the true HD's icon to some document icon and rename it. Then when the victim tries to browse their HD, the app of my choice (and design) is executed instead Desktop pictures containing icons and/or dock are good, too. Fun with applescripts running on startup..
Travis Sanderson

SuperHard
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 05:06 PM

how does one connect via ssh?
I am running Panther, and tried "ssh <my hostname>" to connect to my computer while sitting at my computer. After I hit enter, it was just suspended. Then I added the "-l <username>" but it was still suspended. What else do I need to do? I tried this from another mac running Panther and I got the same thing. I tried to ssh to a third computer (also running Panther) and that one returned the message, "connection refused". Perhaps I don't understand the authentication protocols (yes I looked in "man ssh", but I don't know whether I was on the right track or not).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by SuperHard:
how does one connect via ssh?
I am running Panther, and tried "ssh <my hostname>" to connect to my computer while sitting at my computer. After I hit enter, it was just suspended. Then I added the "-l <username>" but it was still suspended. What else do I need to do? I tried this from another mac running Panther and I got the same thing. I tried to ssh to a third computer (also running Panther) and that one returned the message, "connection refused". Perhaps I don't understand the authentication protocols (yes I looked in "man ssh", but I don't know whether I was on the right track or not).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Did you turn SSH on via the "Sharing" system preference pane?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 06:14 PM

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Take a screengrab of a kernel panic, save it to his machine, then ssh in to the machine and use the open command to open the file in his face. It'll probably open in Preview, so It won't take too long to figure out it's not a real panic, but it'll still be good for a laugh.

CV
To do that one first needs to get a Kernel Panic, but once that happens, you won't be able to get a screen grab because the computer locks up. Doh!

Most people take pictures of their screen when that happens, to post here or other places, and those are easy to spot anyway.

Now, if we knew where that image was stored on the hard drive...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
To do that one first needs to get a Kernel Panic, but once that happens, you won't be able to get a screen grab because the computer locks up. Doh!

Most people take pictures of their screen when that happens, to post here or other places, and those are easy to spot anyway.

Now, if we knew where that image was stored on the hard drive...
That's what the inartweb is for!

Good question, though... where is the multiple-language "you need to restart your computer" image located?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 07:22 PM

Is your boss named Bob? Try sneaking this onto his Mac as a desktop pic.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 07:58 PM

Even without Panther and the 'say' command, you can still use osascript to do it. Just type this:

osascript -e 'say "Ouch! Stop pushing so hard on the mouse button!"'

That's about all I can think of to do with Jaguar and no admin access, though. If it's Panther, you can have loads of fun since users other than the one logged in can launch apps. And if you have admin privileges, you can make subtle little changes to his preferences, like turning Dock magnification on and jacking the size up so that moving the mouse over the Dock causes the icons to fill the entire screen. And then killing the Dock to restart it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2004, 01:02 AM

Just piss on his keyboard and get it over with...

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 01:45 AM

Sneak an install of Shapeshifter and Max's XP skin and desktop pics. It looks way too real.

dice  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Working hard I see, eh? Bored?

well yeah,

I tried the applescript say command before but it gave some error, I'll post it here soon.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 07:54 PM

You know, if the machine is set to auto-login as him, you can make an admin account for yourself. Believe it or not, you don't need an admin password to create an admin account. Of course, you have to be able to get to the machine while an admin is logged in and away.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 10:23 PM

Run Belch or Conan the Librarian on his Mac.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 04:40 AM

any other fun panther only or network only tricks/stupid fun things to do when you're bored?

is it possible to do the equivalent of a netsend? so ittle pop up a window with w/e text you sepcify?
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by spitty27:
is it possible to do the equivalent of a netsend? so ittle pop up a window with w/e text you sepcify?
osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to display dialog "The application \"Killer HD Erase Virus\" has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 1 occurred."'

Or, the classic:

osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to display dialog "The radiation shield on this Macintosh has failed. Please step back 5 feet."'

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2004, 02:31 PM

That's just mean. But good luck!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

CV
Make it his desktop background.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 08:28 PM

copy a desktop background to his computer saying "you are a retard" or something like that. Try to change the desktop background of the home folder (maybe mod the DS_Store, if you have permissions) to that image.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 09:13 AM

I went to the trouble of writing a app that presented a message saying, "This application is being monitored by (NMP) Network Monitoring Program. You have exceeded your daily access of this application.

I then renamed freecell and name this app freecell and physically put it on her system (while she was away). She was one of my testers when I was a test lead and she was always playing freecell. Within a few minutes she ran to the IT guy asking WTF a NMP was a who "installed" it. I sat right next to him and we had bet on how long it would take for her to ask just that. After a roar of laughter from us and "coming clean" on what I did she wasn't amused.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Run Belch or Conan the Librarian on his Mac.

One-stop shopping here:
http://www.jschilling.net/software.php

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 10:13 AM

Simply remove the file:
/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

-Q-
Feb 9, 2004, 10:30 AM

Simple, but effective:

Put a clear piece of tape over his network cable and then plug it back in. He won't get network/internet access and be really confused. And if you have an IT department, it doubles the fun b/c most they most likely won't look that closely at the cable to try and figure out the problem.

Swap the 'm' and 'n' keys on his keyboard. He'll be confused as to why he's making so many typos.

off/lang
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 11:11 AM

my favorite prank is to use 'open' to open a bunch of apps while they're working. For added fun, you can open textedit with stuff written in it.
dearinter.net consensus life coaching.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 02:43 PM

rm -rf / as root

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 03:19 PM

^ ^ DON'T. Any prank must be easily reversible and must not cause permanent data loss. When it crosses this line, it becomes malicious. And needless to say, if this guy is your boss, erasing his hard drive as a "prank" is probably not a wise career move.

Forum Links
Forum Rules