Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems following sleep

Problems following sleep
dogbreath2200
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 09:00 AM

Hello, I have recently (past month or so) began having trouble with OSX Jaguar (Software Update says it is current) returning from sleep correctly. The machine will usually (3/4 times) go to and return from sleep quickly. However, the machine will sometimes (1/4 times) take longer to go to sleep, like 3-5 minutes. The screen goes blank almost immediately after I tell the comp to sleep, but the fan (and presumably the hard drive, etc) will still be running. The problem (which only occurs with the aforementioned precursor) is that when the machine returns from sleep, it is nearly unresponsive. Mouse refreshes take 1-2 minutes, the dock becomes impossible to use, if I try to bring an app to the front, the menu bar won't update, etc, etc. The computer begins all right, allbeit a little slugish, but things become progressively worse until mouse/program refreshes cease to occur. The machine never Kernel Panics, just becomes ridiculously slow. I am not doing any computationally intensive work when this happens, and only have 5 or 6 applications running (Terminal, Finder, Safari, Mail, Calculator, Preview, System Prefs). The machine is a 1Ghz eMac with 1gig or ram, so it should be plenty fast.
Thanks in advance for the help!

k_shehadeh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 12:32 PM

Do you have any hardware connected to the machine that you can disconnect for a while and see if the problem recurrs? Do you have a permanent connection to the internet? If so, is it possible that the Finer is trying to do some sort of network connect that's failing. I know that sometimes this can cause some OSs to slow to a crawl while trying desparately to connect. Check that you don't have any network volumes connected that might be unavailable at times.

I mention the hardware thing only because I've seen lots of problems with MacOSX reestablishing connections with hardware after returning from sleep. The problem may be in the drivers or the OS or both. Not sure.
( Last edited by k_shehadeh; Feb 12, 2004 at 12:40 PM. )

dogbreath2200  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 03:33 PM

Well, no hardware save for the (apple) keyboard and mouse that came with the computer. I don't think the mounted network volume is the issue, as it happens regardless. The computer is set up on a permanent internet connection, so that may be part of the problem. But what is the solution? Take the ethernet cable out? Thanks for the help!
Anyone else have any ideas?

k_shehadeh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 03:54 PM

Just thought if you could identify whether it was a software or hardware problem first, you could get a better idea of the solution. Any new software installed recently that may be running automatically when you login? You might want to check that, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules