Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G3 iBook boot time

G3 iBook boot time
Kevmcna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 10:16 AM

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to pick up one of the MicroCenter iBooks at a pretty good price. It's my first Apple laptop and I love it. The only thing that seems disappointing is the time it takes to go from hitting the power button to desktop.

Last night was probably my quickest boot, maybe a minute or a minute and a half. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 minutes. Is this normal?

I was just going to ignore it until I came to work this morning. I'm the "computer guy" in a small office. I spent the morning loading the critical updates on the windows boxes. One is an HP laptop running XP Pro. It's an older machine with a Celeron, no a speed demon by any means. Power button to desktop including log in was about 30 seconds.

Now I'm thinking something's not quite right with the iBook. Any thoughts?

900 G3, 40 gig, 640 mb

Thanks
Kev

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Feb 13, 2004, 12:52 PM

I had that same problem after the 10.3.2 update, until someone posted this.......

Easily, really. Apple just 'forgot' something... Enter this into the terminal:

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

After doing it, you'll have to restart at least twice to see the effect. (Explanation: Mac OS X expects the BootCacheControl in /usr/sbin/, but Apple has either put it into the wrong place or it isn't automatically created.) This macosx.com thread lays out how it works and what to do. (But you can really just do what the bold line says.)

(I have run this but haven't gone through the required two boots for it to take effect)

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/topic/53444-1.html

Now it worked for me, and I have a iBook G4, it and worked for 2 of my friends one having an iBook G3 600 and the other w/ a PowerMac G3 400. I hope this works for you.

Kevmcna  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 09:49 PM

Skitzo,
Thanks for the hint. Unofficial time from watching the clock on the vcr is under 1 minute. Seems to have helped.

Thanks again.

Kev

rsgunther
Feb 14, 2004, 09:03 AM

Very Impressive... my boot time was 92 seconds.

After making this change, it is 42 seconds.

It cut 50 seconds off my boot time... very nice!

Thanks!

miket3315
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2004, 11:33 AM

My time was 72 seconds. Now its 42

great

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 12:03 PM

Why do you care boot times at all?

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
Why do you care boot times at all?
Not everyone can keep their machine asleep all the time.

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 01:28 PM

personaly the only time I restart or shut down my iBook is when I am changing OS's (9.2.2/10.1.5/10.2.8/10.3.2 since I use my iBook for a lab machine) otherwise I just put it to sleep and those startup times are like 2 seconds

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Feb 15, 2004, 05:23 PM

I usually leave the computer on during the day, when not in use I'll put it to sleep by closing the lid. The only time I actually shut down my computer is when I travel w/it and when I go to sleep for the night.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Not everyone can keep their machine asleep all the time.
What does prervent that? I can't see any reason to shut down a laptop instead of putting it to sleep.

There are perpetually emerging threads with the subject "does my laptop take any damage when I just put it to sleep".

That's why I ask.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2004, 06:13 PM

Although power requirements while the laptop is asleep are very small, they are still there-a laptop that sleeps too long will eventually run down the battery. The result for the next startup is a pretty much undefined condition; it knows it was asleep, but it's booting from cold. That can be a problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules