Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Applecare worth the money?

Applecare worth the money?
macross
Feb 14, 2004, 09:07 PM

My one year warranty is almost coming ot an end and i have to make a decision as to whether or not I should buy applcare. Its to cover my 12"pb in case something happens and the only thing I'm really afraid of is my screen crapping out on me. I mean if it does, applecare pretty much paid for itself rihgt there but i hear so many mixed reviews or comments as to how applecare is junk, etc. Your thoughts?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2004, 09:11 PM

If you're planning to keep the machine, get AppleCare. No question.

As you said, it can pay for itself in one repair. And even if the machine never gives you a problem, having AppleCare will add value to your machine when you try to sell it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 09:28 PM

My machine is a year old as of a few days ago (and I still love it just asmuch). Not only did I get AppleCare, I also have SafeWay insurance, to cover accidental damage. My machine gets used all the time, certainly many times a day. It just seemed prudent to get the extra coverage.

And hey! I've already gotten free new rubber feet out of it.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 09:30 PM

oh -- and another thing. Apparently Apple is very, very picky about the 1-year deadline, so don't delay. If you call over the phone, they'll sign you up right away.

BUT -- do a search on cnet.com (the shopper part) and you will undoubtedly be able to get it for less. I think I saw AppleCare for probably 80 bucks less than through Apple itself.

Yes, it's expensive. I personally think it's worth it. Other people disagree with me.

Kleejam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 07:35 AM

I didn't think twice about getting it. It seems expensive, but it has already paid for itself.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by macross:
My one year warranty is almost coming ot an end and i have to make a decision as to whether or not I should buy applcare. Its to cover my 12"pb in case something happens and the only thing I'm really afraid of is my screen crapping out on me. I mean if it does, applecare pretty much paid for itself rihgt there but i hear so many mixed reviews or comments as to how applecare is junk, etc. Your thoughts?

Dear macross,
Without question if you can afford to purchase Applecare go for it. When it comes to technology anything can go wrong and the last thing you need is something minor going wrong with your computer and it ends up costing you alot more money because your product is not propely insured. Do not tempt fate, go for Applecare to protect your worthy investment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules