Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > IDEA IntelliJ 4

IDEA IntelliJ 4
i_wolf
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 01:04 PM

Hi guys,

I just went by and downloaded intellij 4 for OS X.
However i was a bit surprised to see the system requirements /recommended specs for it on OS X. Nearly double the processing power that any other platform requires.
For example on windows, Unix and linux they recommend a P3 800.
Mac OS X they recommend a G4 1.4GHz or a G5 system. !! :O Now it does run on 'lower' end G4 systems and G3 systems. I have seen it running before on a G3 600. However, I just thought that the system requiremeents were crazy. Especially considering that if a P3 800 is recommended for a wintel platform, a G4 being much much faster clock for clock, I would have imagined to see specs of G4 450 or something comparable to the P3 800+.
Is this a sign that Apple's Java implementation is 'slow' compared to the competition's ?? (since its a java app) or what do you guys reckon.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 01:44 PM

actually now that i got somebody's attention with this intellij. Seams like a fantastic app. I am having probs with the actual set up. After installation it asks me for the location of the jdk.... however i ain't finding the jdk where i would normally expect it to be residing on a unix os. where do i point intellij to find the JDK ???????
I have tried doing a 'which java' in terminal... but that just tells me where exactly i would expect to find java which is 'usr/bin/java' but when i try to point intellij there it finds nada?!?!?!

any help is much appreciated.
thanks guys,
i_wolf
( Last edited by i_wolf; Feb 22, 2004 at 01:50 PM. )

suthercd
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 06:00 PM

There are variables that probably need to be set in your bash rc file. I don't have my mac at the moment to specify them, but you set paths for java with them that point to the different files installed by Intellij. I belive I found info about this on Intellij website. JAVA_HOME is one, there are a couple othere.

Craig

bone666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 06:11 PM

Point IDEA to /Library/Java/Home

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 09:11 PM

thanks a lot for that . it works fine now!
Learn something new every day

Forum Links
Forum Rules