Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 333 imac external sound

333 imac external sound
smic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 03:47 PM

ok so i have my old imac in my closet acting as my file server. then i had this idea to use it as an mp3 player for my stereo, controlling it over the network. so i hooked it all up to my amp, but when i select it it emits a hum/buzz, at a lowish frequency.
i thought it was the rca cables i was using, or the minijack-to-rca thingy, so i changed them around, got new ones, still had an annoying buzz. so i tried the headphone jacks instead of the external speakers jack, still had a buzz.
so i tried my ipod, sounded fine, and i deduced that its the imac that is sending the frequency like its getting to much power maybe?

anyone else have this type of problem, or heard of it before?
w3rd..
surrey represent

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 03:13 AM

Here is a whole bunch of options I found on Apple's site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86655

visionarymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 12:55 PM

Having done audio for some years, this is an all too common problem. What is most likely happening is that there is a difference in ground potential between your Mac and your stereo. If you haven't resolved your problem by know, I suggest you go to Radio Shack or search the net for an isolation device that you can place in-line that allows the audio to pass but not any damaging voltage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules