Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need Application icons/images for omnigraffle and Keynote

Need Application icons/images for omnigraffle and Keynote
i_wolf
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 02:55 PM

Hi guys,
I am doing a presentation in a few days. And i was planning to use Keynote to do it. For one or two examples i was looking good quality mac os X applications icons like the type that Steve Jobs woudl use at his keynotes... primarily Im intereseted in icons for Rendezvous aware applications like iTunes, iPhoto, XCode.
I also need these images icons for diagrams Im making in Omnigraffle, but so far I have not found anything out there for omnigraffle that does this job... i downloaded all the extras for onnigraffle and i was hoping that the apple icons 1 and 2 woudl contain itunes icons etc.. but no joy.
Does anyone know of a package or anywhere that I could find Mac OS X application icons similar to the ones that steve jobs uses???
I know I could probably do it myself by taking screenshots of the desktop and then photoshopping em... but 1) Im not that good with photoshop and 2) Im Lazy!!!
Any help guys is much appreciated!
regards
i_wolf

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by i_wolf:
primarily Im intereseted in icons for Rendezvous aware applications like iTunes, iPhoto, XCode.
I also need these images icons for diagrams Im making in Omnigraffle, but so far I have not found anything out there for omnigraffle that does this job... i downloaded all the extras for onnigraffle and i was hoping that the apple icons 1 and 2 woudl contain itunes icons etc.. but no joy.
Does anyone know of a package or anywhere that I could find Mac OS X application icons similar to the ones that steve jobs uses???
Let's see, I don't know how it is with XCode, but for both iTunes and iPhoto you can ctrl-click on the application and select 'Show package contents', navigate to Resources and find the application icon (it has an .icns extension). Just open it in Preview and copy.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 03:24 PM

Ok well i found a site called Xicons on the net but this seamed to have lots of cool icons that would be very useful, and I even found itunes and other iapp icons there, however I cant import them into keynote or omnigraffle. I don't even know what file type they are using get ino. Any help????

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2004, 04:01 PM

You need to install the developer tools to do this yourself.

One of the apps installed is called Icon Composer (in /Developer/Applications/Utilities)

For the apps you want to do this for, Show Package Contents (control click the app icon and this is one of the options). A finder window will open containing a folder called Contents. Navigate into the Resources folder within that and this is where you will typically find all the .icns files for each app. Open these with Icon Composer and you will see something like this (for iTunes):

You can then drag and drop the image from the well into OmniGraffle (and probably Keynote too):

HTH.

Edit: If the Xicons files are .icns ones, then you will still need to install Icon Composer as a part of the Developer tools - you should have received a Developer disk with your OS X install CDs.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 05:17 PM

thanks a mill for the great advice guys

I have been using xcode for a bit now and i never knew about icon composer before !
Great.
Im sorted now! What would eb really great if there was an omnigraffle stencil for apple application icons. ..... note to self... i might do this if i get the chance. They are something that I woudl use over and over...

Forum Links
Forum Rules