Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > wake from sleep

wake from sleep
i_wolf
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 07:43 PM

Ok i don't think this is the same as people who get the black screen as soon as the power on their G5's.
Anyway here's the prob. The past two days, as soon as we powered on the G5 everything booted up nice and fine. Clean install of Panther, with all the software updates installed and the latest G5 firmware installed. There are no peripheral devices attached save the 20" ACD and keyboard and mouse .
The problem, is that the computer is set to never turn off in the power management and to power off the display after 20 mins.
As soon as the machine puts the display to sleep or if the machine is put to sleep, sometimes when we move the mouse , the password entry screen comes up fine. We enter the password and then nada, nothing but a black screen ?!?!
Is this a problem with OS X, drivers, the 9800 pro (factory fitted) or the logic board.
I did a repair permissions and they seam fine....
Anyone else suffer this... or know what I should do???

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 08:50 PM

ok i did a hardware test and all seams fine according to the test... did the extended test and all.. took ages!
Anyway, this problem mainly manifests itself when the machine is recently only after being turned on. in otherwords if i turned it on in the morning.. ... walked away and came back 30 mins later, the screen would be black as expected its asleep, while the G5 itself is not asleep. I click on the mouse to bring up the password. enter password and nada. Now is this my idiocy or a hardware prob.... hardware test says all is fine though?? And if it was hardware surely it would be happening all the time and not intermittently and certainly not depending on the time of day :S
Has anyone else found this prob.... please tell me you have, and its only an OS X bug. That i can live with but i don't fancy sending the machine back down to cork for testing and what not, especially since i need it over the next two weeks for demonstrations at work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules