Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Java webserver

Java webserver
i_wolf
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 11:45 AM

Hi guys,
Again fairly new to OS X development.
What I am looking for advice on is this. I want to transfer some projects that we have been working on that use Java RMI that we were testing on Blazix webserver.
Its a java webserver thats simple to set up for test and debug of our distrib app. However its been causing headaches on OSX. The classpath has been set fine and the webserver should run fine.. .but its returning exception in thread main regardless what we do ?? Anyone here use this on OS X? Is this an issue with JDK 1.4.2 ??? I know Blazix was originally written in JDK1.2 so that might be the prob?

Is there a nice simple Java webserver to set up and configure on OS X that runs reliably??
Rgs
i_wolf

absmiths
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 11:59 AM

Your best option is clearly apache. It isn't written in Java, but if what you need is a web server that's your beast. Other options are Tomcat (HTTP/J2EE) and Jigsaw (HTTP only) - both are written in Java and run on OS X.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 12:55 PM

thanks alot there.
i have used Jakarta tomcat often on windows platform... im a big fan.
With regard to the OS X version that I just installed from the XCode tools set....
Its amazing, apple even set your configuration and environment varibles up for you. this is great.
However..... when i run the startup.sh script, it seams to start up fine,
i get the usual,

Using CATALINA_BASE: /Library/Tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Library/Tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/Tomcat/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /Library/Java/Home

i check to see that its running happy in the background... ps -a ... yup its there running happy as larry.
However when i open safari and go to the default homepage
http://localhost:8080/ i get nada... safari could not connect to the webserver etc....

Now i read that when panther originally shipped with Xcode there was a problem that if you installed JBoss and Ant what ever it did it hosed your tomcat install.
Again i found a link to this somewhere... is this true... or is it something simple and studip that im missing.
Thanks for the help so far and apologies for what may seam trivial questions... im very new to OS X development and distributed apps.
All the best
i_wolf

absmiths
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 01:00 PM

I've never used Tomcat through XCode before, I always just untar it and go. It is possible that XCode has changed the default port, or not supplied a root context. I would look for the logs.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 01:40 PM

Look at /Library/Tomcat/logs/catalina.out and see what port it's running on. I think it's something odd like 9006 in Apple's install.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 03:07 PM

just to say thank you very much for all the advice there.
It solved the prob.
I am so used to working with Apache Tomcat and normally on gentoo or other linux/unix distro's its default port is 8080. So i just assumed that it was a standard port that it woudl be listening on from a default config! Never even occured to me to go checking the default installed port :S Learn something new every day.
Thanks a lot and hopefully sometime I will be able to return the favour to you!
All the best,
i_wolf

Forum Links
Forum Rules