Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Protection for your laptop?

Protection for your laptop?
azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 07:04 AM

I came across this website ( http://www.powerdesign.biz ) when I was browsing the website. It looks pretty good, you can transfer your Powerbook/iBook/iPod in different colours without actually painting them.

Has anyone tried it? If you have, can you post your experiences?

Thanks!

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 03:58 PM

Not sure about the quality of the product you mentioned - looks like a static sticker - looks ok though. I would be apprehensive of printing your own designs out on an inkjet or laser printer though - I'd be afraid that the ink would either wipe off on my hands or eventually bleed onto the laptop from the heat.

I have ordered from macskinz.com before - great product - very cool designs - they're site is up now but you can't buy anything there - they are going through some sort of "re-structuring." I think some other company might be buying them out.
Wherever you go... there you are.

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:11 AM

yuck whats wrong with al???

they're pretty hard to mark any ways...

sk

azt33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 07:22 AM

Aricher, so you would recommend Macskinz? I liked this one for the sticker that goes underneath the PB, that way you won't get any scratches or stuff on the bottom.

macskinz
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2004, 12:18 PM

No, nobody is buying us out. We completeley restructured our production process to accomodate new and better designs and create a better product. It is now also chemically resistant. The product in this thread is interesting but looks pretty substandard in the corner areas. It is also very easy for anyone to purchase inkjet receptive vinyl, print it and wrap it around your iPod. I'm not sure if the image would be waterproof because almost all but the more expensive large format inkjet printers are aqueous (waterbased). I would also be hesitant to put anything on the bottom of a PowerBook due to heat build-up.

thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

banditcosmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by macskinz:
No, nobody is buying us out. We completeley restructured our production process to accomodate new and better designs and create a better product. It is now also chemically resistant.thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com
Doug,
When will you be back up taking and shipping orders ?

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:47 PM

Doug - sorry about that - I didn't mean to imply anything - just conjecture. Any chances you'll allow custom orders - ala your designer series?

- Adam
Wherever you go... there you are.

msSwitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 01:14 PM

I think the "skinz" look cool, but only a few have a cut out for the glowing apple logo. Why would anyone want to cover it up? It's only one of the greatest branding/marketing tools ever. PC notebook manufacturers have all pretty much followed suit.

-msSwitch
( Last edited by msSwitch; Mar 1, 2004 at 02:45 PM. )
Love is a 15" AlBook 1.25 with Superdrive...

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by banditcosmo:
Doug,
When will you be back up taking and shipping orders ?
Same here would REALY like to purchase one as well. I go to your site daily hope it's open. want to do a custom logo on my 15" PB

macskinz
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by msSwitch:
I think the "skinz" look cool, but only a few have a cut out for the glowing apple logo. Why would anyone want to cover it up? It's only one of the greatest branding/marketing tools ever. PC notebook manufacturers have all pretty much followed suit.

-msSwitch
I started a pretty exhaustive thread on the subject some time back and am amazed at people's need to show the Apple logo. I support Apple for their great interface and hardware not for their logo. To me, it is a symbol of prestige or non-conformity in the computer world. Apple users want PC users to know that they are better or different. I put it along side with people putting Oakley bumper stickers on their car to let people know what shoes they wear. I can say a few things about our product: Apple probably doesn't like their corporate identity covered up by MacSkinz, and there is no similar product for the PC so even if the Apple logo isn't showing, it still stands out in a crowd.

Don't get me wrong, Apple has done some great marketing and has a very strong corporate identity. I also use nothing but Macs and have since almost their beginning.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by msSwitch:

-msSwitch
Oh, I forgot to mention that a new Dell laptop now offers a few graphic images on the case top. I think they have followed our suit. Another thing, when we go live again, we will be offering all of the new designs with a hole knocked out to show the Apple logo if wanted.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

msSwitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by macskinz:
I started a pretty exhaustive thread on the subject some time back and am amazed at people's need to show the Apple logo. I support Apple for their great interface and hardware not for their logo. To me, it is a symbol of prestige or non-conformity in the computer world. Apple users want PC users to know that they are better or different. I put it along side with people putting Oakley bumper stickers on their car to let people know what shoes they wear. I can say a few things about our product: Apple probably doesn't like their corporate identity covered up by MacSkinz, and there is no similar product for the PC so even if the Apple logo isn't showing, it still stands out in a crowd.

Don't get me wrong, Apple has done some great marketing and has a very strong corporate identity. I also use nothing but Macs and have since almost their beginning.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com
I understand about your valuing Apple's interface and hardware over their logo. I assume the same can be said for most people. However, in a society so driven by brand messaging we just gotta have that logo. Branding is all around us. Companies spend millions of dollars to get the right font, the right logo, the right color and packaging - a great many of these are designed on a Mac by the way. Still in all, there is so much to be said about being "recognized" as an Apple user. We are a society of label hungry consumers. Labels don't matter much in a stationary desktop, but with the portability of a laptop that glowing apple is a key messaging/branding component that I would assume many of us Mac users are acustomed to showing off. I'd say it's right up there with the "white earbuds"... Smart decision in offering a skin with the Apple cut out.
Love is a 15" AlBook 1.25 with Superdrive...

Forum Links
Forum Rules