Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Build a mac

Build a mac
XP_GAMER
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 02:19 PM

I was wonder if I could build a mac, do I need a certain mobo & proc.
can I convert a pc into a mac... can I dual boot windows and a mac os

see the thing is I build all my pc's, I realy don't want to buy a factory built computer.
just to run a mac os

any info or links would be great, sorry if in wrong forum

iamnotmad
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 02:27 PM

no, unfortunately(?) you can't really build a modern Mac. Your only shot would be to piece together an older Mac from parts on ebay and some random sites, like maybe welovemacs.com.

And you can't dual boot a pc with Mac OSX. You could dual boot with x86 Darwin. Or you could get a new Mac and run a windows emulator on it, but based on your username here, forget games under emualtion.

What do you want the Mac for, or why do you want to Run the Mac OS?

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 02:33 PM

Anything's possible but it's probably not worth the effort. You're not going to be able to find bare bones hardware components at your local Frys or Best Buy. Apple's motherboards and processors are all propietary - they cut off 3rd party vendors years ago. The only way I can see being able to do it is to salvage parts from discarded Macs. But then you'll be using antiquated technology: can't slap a G5 processor on a G3 logic board, etc. As far as dual-boot: again, you're out of luck. Mac uses a different file system, the OS requires a specific processor, eetc. Virtual PC is supposed to be pretty good emulation software for the Mac. That's your best way to run a PC on a Mac. Personally, I have a home-built PC rig that I use mostly for gaming and I have a G5 Mac for video editing, graphics, etc. I run them both on one 23" Cinema Display using a CompuCable ADC/DVI video switcher.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

XP_GAMER  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 02:37 PM

Well I have been building custom gameing pc's for about 3 years now,
and I actually want to start a service and custom pc's store..
I figured if I could build a mac and learn how to service them..
I would be the only one in my area to service mac's, but there is
alot more to them then I thought...

I have played with macs befor, just not the internals.
I bet if they made the mac more universal alot more PC users would convert to mac
Thanks

-Q-
Mar 10, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by XP_GAMER:

I bet if they made the mac more universal alot more PC users would convert to mac
The majority of the innards ARE universal. Macs use IDE/SATA hard drives (only the G5s use SATA so far), they use PCI/PCI-X cards (some do require mac specific drivers or ROMs, but some don't), and they use standard RAM. The motherboard and processor are 'custom' but otherwise, the knowledge you have for the PC hardware is applicable (drives install the same way, etc.).

Wouldn't make economic sense for Apple to use the X86 architecture.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 07:14 PM

While it's possible to built yourself a Mac computer, but getting all the parts you need is the hard part.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Peabo
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 07:38 PM

You can upgrade everything on the mac using 3rd party devices except for the motherboard. It's pretty universal.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 08:08 PM

Here you go. Have fun.

Build you own G4

Build our own Mac

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by XP_GAMER:

and I actually want to start a service and custom pc's store..
So? Anyone can build a PC - I've been doing it for 15 years now. I even do consulting and custom PC's on the side, and beleive me, there is little profit in it. You may build the best-kick-a$$ PC's, but you need advertisement, and that costs major $$. My little Yellow pages ad is $179/mo. The margins on PC's are razor thin. Everyone sees the $399 Best Buy deals and the $499 Dell POS boxes and expects you to meet that price. The only way to make $$ is by service and even then you have to be careful to not price yourself out in left field.

I figured if I could build a mac and learn how to service them..
I would be the only one in my area to service mac's, but there is
alot more to them then I thought...
Not really - the hardware is basically the same, except parts availability can be tough for motherboards and such. But, the best bet is to get certified - that way you can do warranty work.

I have played with macs befor, just not the internals.
They are very similar, the main difference is the MB and OS.

They are - they use DVI displays, DDR RAM, ATA/SATA drives, PCI, USB1.1/2, Firewire, etc. Pretty much universal. The reason most don't use Macs has to do with pre-conceived ideas of price (they are not much more expensive than a comparably equipped PC) and compatability, neither of which are really issues, but most consumers are ignorant.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 11:52 PM

This guy's friend might have some parts for sale.

-

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:

-

Total Hoaks.
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Westfoto:
Total Hoaks.
I think it was sarcasm.

Hoax?

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:

-
That guy has to be sick. I started to cry when I read that madness !!
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

lenox
Senior User
Mar 12, 2004, 02:37 PM

once more. hoax.

hoax. again.

halogen8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 06:09 PM

I've buildt all of my PCs in the past, and few for friends and family. I would not recommend doing it as a business, since companies like Dell, HP and Gateway are going to put you out of business. Even if your machines are superior in quality and craftsmenship, can you sell enough machines above the manufacturing cost to make a real profit?

All that aside, if you want to play around with upgradable mac hardware, do what I did - buy a used Power Mac G3 or G4 on Ebay. I just recieved my Blue and White Power Mac G3 350 Mhz that I paid $325.00 for($355.00 with shipping) and so far I'm totally diggin it.

I've seen machines with slightly lower specs on ebay going for $250.

There are also places like http://www.powermax.com that sell used systems of all types and eras and have machines as low as $79. I wouldn't recommend anything lower than a Beige G3 if you want to do any upgrades and run OSX on it.

I found 256 MB of PC 133 RAM from an old PC living around the office that I was able to drop in and bring the total RAM upto 384 MB.

I plan on upgrading the OS to Panther this weekend and make the switch from Windows complete.

If I so choose, I can still add more RAM, upgrade the video card, overclock the processor, or upgrade the processor to a G4(upto 1 GHz), plus many more mods you'll find on the web.

If you want to dabble in the Mac world, this probably your best and cheapest option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules