Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Thoughts on the iPod/Audible 100$ deal... hold out for 20?

Thoughts on the iPod/Audible 100$ deal... hold out for 20?
m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 11:08 PM

As many of you know...Audible.com has a deal where if you sign up for 1 years worth of service at 15$/month you can get $100 off of an iPod...

I just sold my old 2ng generation 10gb...and I am thinking of buying a 3G 15GB... the thing is that I really wanted to wait and see if new pods came out soon...so that the new lineup would be

20-40-60 with 20 being the $299 iPod...

Well I have only been without my iPod for a week and I am already missing it. I am thinking of going for the audible deal and getting a 15.

the 15$ deal allows one subscription and one book per month.

Any opinions?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:13 PM

I think it's a good deal.. But does it apply to current subscribers? I doubt it (loyalty for ya huh?!)

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 11:20 PM

No it doesn't apply to current subscribers...so I am guessing you are one?
if so..how do you like the service?

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2004, 12:35 AM

Actually now I am thinking I might go with a mini...its just so small and convenient...hmm
but only 4 GBs....

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 01:02 PM

Yeah I've been a subscriber for (since I was wondering about the promotion) exactly 10 months now. It's really nice. I liked a bunch of their audiobooks so I decided to subscribe. I listen to different subscription based shows and with the $14 plan, you get 1 of those plus 1 book. It makes your audio listening varied as you can also choose amongst all of your 'spoken word' files as opposed to music.

If I were you, I would listen to the samples on audible.com to see if it's something you'd like. I like to listen to audible files while I'm just doing odd things around the house or driving through traffic and simply don't feel like music.

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2004, 01:12 PM

It sounds good but unfortunately the ipod mini:silver is out of stock at all the places associated with audible.com... the soonest it is available from one of them is 4/21 !!

I dont think I can wait 5 weeks

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 01:21 PM

I thought you can get it anywhere online? What stores does it accept? Get something other than silver!! hehe but if you're set on silver... Have you found it in silver at a store that's not associated with audible? I thought the mini's were pretty much low on stock everywhere. I'd love to get a mini (But I have a 20gb ipod that I love too much) but the 4gb is what holds me back.. If it were at the very least 15gb... I'd get one.. but actually, now I'm just holding off for more storage as I still have a whole stack of CD's to burn.. Plus, my monthly audible fix....

Mike

Originally posted by m2bored:
It sounds good but unfortunately the ipod mini:silver is out of stock at all the places associated with audible.com... the soonest it is available from one of them is 4/21 !!

I dont think I can wait 5 weeks
iPhone 4 / iPad!

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2004, 01:26 PM

There are only 4 store you can buy it from... J&R, Crutchfields, MobilePlanet and Datavision... none of them have any minis in stock till the end of next month.

I ordered from the apple store and it will ship within 2 weeks...I can go get a silver at my local circuitcity today... but i will have to pay 25$ more (because no edu disc)

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 05:37 PM

Well, if you're still thinking about audible, you can always use that discount for a great PDA!!

Mike

Originally posted by m2bored:
There are only 4 store you can buy it from... J&R, Crutchfields, MobilePlanet and Datavision... none of them have any minis in stock till the end of next month.

I ordered from the apple store and it will ship within 2 weeks...I can go get a silver at my local circuitcity today... but i will have to pay 25$ more (because no edu disc)
iPhone 4 / iPad!

halogen8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 06:22 PM

If you can wait, rumor has it that apple is dropping the prices on iPods in order to gain more control of the mp3 player market. There may also be a new version of the 3rd gen(4th gen aluminum?).

This may not be for quite some time though. If you can't wait 5 weeks for a silver mini, you probably won't be able to wait until the fall or later...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2004, 07:26 PM

does it apply to current subscribers?
Yes it does apply to current subscribers. All you have to do is end your current subscription, then resubscribe. I did this two weeks and got the Mini for $149.

Don't worry about your books. They're yours forever, as is your Audible account. I went over this thoroughly with their customer service staff before I did it. You Audible account is active for life. The books you've bought are yours for life. All you're doing is stopping the automatic subscription payment, then restarting it.

Chris

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2004, 07:33 PM

Chabig.

Did you already get your mini? From J&R im guessing...since the other companies just jumped on...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2004, 07:49 PM

Yes. I ordered the mini on March 5th from J&R. They said it was out of stock and quoted about a week for delivery. It arrived on March 15th.

Chris

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2004, 07:52 PM

More details on how this works...

1) You have to call Audible customer service to cancel your subscription. Your account and all of the books in it stays open forever.

2) Then you call J&R and tell them you want the Audible deal. The order takes place in two parts:

A) They'll ask for your audible account name and credit card for Audible. Make sure they get the account name correct (spelling and case sensitivity) or else they'll end up opening a new audible account. You don't want that. You want to continue to use your existing account.

B) Once the audible part is done, they'll want a credit card number again, but this time it's for their sale.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules