Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > no more horror stories, please

no more horror stories, please
Prijker
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 12:00 PM

Nope, my Mac is not dead.
No, 10.3.3. didn't kill my iMac
No, my OSX doesn't have regular KPs
No, the last system update didn't eat my Users' folder.
No...
In fact, i have no horror story to relate, sorry guys.

Everything's fine this side, thanks!
Everything works. All iLife apps work, all my devices (scanner, digital mouse, modem cable, digital camera, microphone, UPS, printer), everything works like a charm.
As we say in France: "�a baigne"

Shouldn't it be that way for every Mac user? In fact i am a little tired of all these horror stories we can read here, as if the Mac was even worst than Wintel platforms. It's not! All you guys who post your little inocuous stories every real Mac user should be able to resolve in seconds, you should stop complaining.

And What would you do if you were a PC user, not a Mac user... You don't know how lucky we are in working with Macs, believe me.
So: stop complaining like spoiled children and make constructive posts.

Don't ask what this forum can do for you, ask what you can do for this forum.

vic

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 12:17 PM

You have to remember that people posting on this forum do so because they have problems. There are a lot of Mac users like you (and me) who do not have any "big" problems.

The purpose of these forums is to help those unlucky Mac users who have problems.
Macs are great, but it's far from beeing pefect, and people still have problems with them from time to time.

btw, 2nd post from a french guy. 2/2 so far. Suivant...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2004, 01:13 PM

Keep in mind, this is a support forum. The people posting here are supposed to be the ones having problems; that is what we are here for. This forum isn't supposed to be some kind of "Macs rule!" circle-jerk; we all know that people have problems with their Macs sometimes, and we come here either to request or provide help with solving them.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2004, 01:31 PM

no KP's ever since i got my tibook over a year ago

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2004, 01:40 PM

My years of experience troubleshooting many systems has led me to the conclusion that 99% of all computer problems are either hadware, software or user related.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
My years of experience troubleshooting many systems has led me to the conclusion that 99% of all computer problems are either hadware, software or user related.
Whereas the remaining 1% is caused by... meteors crashing into your house and destroying your computer? Or what?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jan Van Boghout
Mar 23, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Whereas the remaining 1% is caused by... meteors crashing into your house and destroying your computer? Or what?

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 02:13 PM

That would definitely fall under "hardware failure". I mean, what company isn't creating meteor-resistant cases any more?

ebsidohw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Prijker:
Shouldn't it be that way for every Mac user? In fact i am a little tired of all these horror stories we can read here, as if the Mac was even worst than Wintel platforms. It's not! All you guys who post your little inocuous stories every real Mac user should be able to resolve in seconds, you should stop complaining.

And What would you do if you were a PC user, not a Mac user... You don't know how lucky we are in working with Macs, believe me.
So: stop complaining like spoiled children and make constructive posts.

Don't ask what this forum can do for you, ask what you can do for this forum.

vic [/B]

and you're a senior member? Iin order to becaome a "real Mac user" who can resolve any problem in seconds, you have to suffer through all the minor problems. The major problems people complain about may not seem important to you, but are for some. True, some ppl complain about their apple product when things go haywire, but that's human nature. They complain but seek advice as well.

I've always considered the Apple community as more friendly than the Windows community, not looking down on the newbies who have problems. And then I run across another post like yours.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 02:43 PM

Plus we don't usually hear about all of the other errors like:

ID-10-T
Pebcak

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Keep in mind, this is a support forum. The people posting here are supposed to be the ones having problems; that is what we are here for. This forum isn't supposed to be some kind of "Macs rule!" circle-jerk; we all know that people have problems with their Macs sometimes, and we come here either to request or provide help with solving them.
This is a support forum, but not just a support forum:

"Mac OS X
Discussion, support and speculation relating to the Mac OS X operating system."

The problem here is simple: 99% of the posts are "support"-related. What about "discussion" and "speculation"?

Besides, as anyone can see, 99% of the "support"-related posts are neophyt-related.
Here's a list of recent posts. How many of them are relative to major help issues?

10.3.3 update: I no longer have bluetooth!??!?
Anyone experiencing this 10.3.3 faxing bug?
Personal Web Sharing?? I don't get it
how do i wipe computer harddrives?
HELP! Installer VISE problem in 10.2.8
View Options dialog - Why default on all windows?
ATI Displays taking over normal Displays pane?
HELP! 10.3.3 has killed my Server Access!
Moving a user from root after extended use
Can't remotely access my home computer over the Internet?
Networked home directories over airport
out of memory error...
Disk Utility - "no valid packages"
Panther Locks Up - Move Mouse But Nothing Else ( 1 2 3 )
Can't complete maintenance tasks
Disabling live searching
NEED URGENT HELP!! Finde quits in endless loop!
HELP 10.3.3 update killed my powerbook
How can I remove an Icon from the Dock?
How do I remove the battery menu?
Runnuning progs as a service/daemon?
10.3.3 System Preferences Note
Enable Image Thumbnails?
Pixel aspect ratio options for TV out?
You need to restart your computer
Moving Hard Drive Icon
Airport Issues after update

I am not saying all these guys are wrong, or idiots, or something like that.

What i say is that these entry-level problems tend to invade the forum, leading an eventual external observer to conclude that Macs are pretty ****! Only trivial stories!!!

I think people should give themselves a try in the first place when they have some trouble, and only use the forum as a last ressort.

I think this high frequence of support and help-related posts only shows that most Mac users are not used to get their brain fully working, they prefer to abdicate in front of a little problem, just because they always have this beloved place which can resolve all their little pains.

I am not sure the average Mac user is like that. This is why i am here arguing against the way this forum has become a sort of hotline service, a free one, of course.

This is probably a typical cultural attitude, to which we are not used to here in Europe. So don't get me wrong: i am a (proud) Mac user, and i love to read the MacNN forums as a registered user and junior member.
But a few Mac related guys just have to grow up a little, i bet.

Vic

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2004, 05:17 PM

Definately, OR WHAT.

oh and I assume you mean meteorite.
1.25GHz PowerBook

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:

Although CharlesS's commentary is incredibly, verily unbelievably, in fact inconcievably witty, can you honestly say that it is funnier than:

"My years of experience troubleshooting many systems has led me to the conclusion that 99% of all computer problems are either hadware, software or user related."

Where is my knee-slapping emoticon? Don't I get any credit for lighteing things up around here???

Or do you brainiacs all need to have the permissions checked on your humor-parsing libs?

1.25GHz PowerBook

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 09:12 PM

I'll add to the list of users whose Macs just work. Both a 17" 800 MHz iMac and 14" iBook have no problems whatsoever. Well, that's not entirely true - the iMac's Software Update app keeps crashing everytime it tries to install something. Any ideas?

jocker
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
I'll add to the list of users whose Macs just work. Both a 17" 800 MHz iMac and 14" iBook have no problems whatsoever.
Me too. Rev A 17", no probs software related, one hardware that I sorted out on Apple's Support forums. Plus I run a haxie (WindowShade), USB digital out sound (which must install something at the kernel level), etc etc.

Seem to be a lot of problems with RAID controllers with 10.3.3 but no experience of that personally...
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

Forum Links
Forum Rules