Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Software Update for the rest of your software

Software Update for the rest of your software
ohm^n
Apr 4, 2004, 07:03 PM

I'm releasing Renew 1.0 to the public today. If you haven't used Renew before, it's a lot like Apple's Software Update, but for the rest of your software. Take a look.

I've made quite few changes since the public preview last August, some of them are visible, many of them are performance related. There's a new visual quick check, and the scheduled checkups work perfectly now. I also wrote up a new version evaluator which has been really accurate.

Here are a few screen shots: Update App , PrefPane , QuickCheck .

I'm leaving the free registrations up for another month so that people can check it out and see if it's something they'd like to use.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 07:20 PM

Sweet

-Owl

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2004, 07:25 PM

Awesome, I was wondering what happened to this...haven't heard anything in awhile...

GOOD LUCK!

zachs
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Awesome, I was wondering what happened to this...haven't heard anything in awhile...

GOOD LUCK!
Me too. Good to know this wasn't another abandoned project.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2004, 07:45 PM

Hmm..."QuickCheck" finds 13+ updates I supposedly need; however, Renew won't find them when I click "Check now..."

What's the point then?

Also, I cannot get added "Search Paths" to stick after opening and closing System Prefs...
( Last edited by gorickey; Apr 4, 2004 at 08:00 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2004, 07:47 PM

What's the final price going to be?

I think it's an interesting project, but who is maintaining the list of applications?

ohm^n  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 08:09 PM

Hey,

GoRickey: Thanks! I switched schools and majors (to electrical engineering) and I've been pushing through all of my calculus and physics classes, which hasn't left me tons of free time. I also have a job on the weekends now so it took me a while (way to long) to get the 1.0 out. Updates will be more frequent now, basically whenever I make a fix until 2.0 .

It is strange that quick check sees things that the regular check doesn't... I'll look into that now. I'll post on here when I figure out what's up. I'll also look at the search paths, I thought it was saving but I'll make sure.

mitchell_pgh: I'm maintaining the list of applications, it's kinda tedious but not to bad . The final price is $10/year, less than a dollar a month. I'm hoping it will cover my bandwidth and hosting costs and also time spent working on the app and keeping the db up to date . I'm also working on MacPAD support (check macshareware.net for more info). I've had a couple of developers submit pad files already, so I'm hoping more people pick it up .
( Last edited by ohm^n; Apr 4, 2004 at 08:19 PM. )

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 08:43 PM

There is already a software update application with MacPad support called Shovel.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

ohm^n  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
There is already a software update application with MacPad support called Shovel.
Interesting, my implementation is a little different...
( Last edited by ohm^n; Apr 4, 2004 at 09:10 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by ohm^n:
It is strange that quick check sees things that the regular check doesn't... I'll look into that now. I'll post on here when I figure out what's up. I'll also look at the search paths, I thought it was saving but I'll make sure.
It was a user error on my part...sorry for the trouble! I forgot to register immediately, after that, it worked as advertised...

Thanks!

ohm^n  (op)
Apr 6, 2004, 02:59 AM

oh . I'm glad it wasn't a real bug; I should probably have it display a sheet when it reaches the 'demo limit'... Thanks for pointing it out

Forum Links
Forum Rules