Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP...extracting images from a DVD????

HELP...extracting images from a DVD????
DUDE 007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 01:36 AM

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is possible...I want to extract or export still images from we'll say my favorite DVDs. I eventually want to edit them in photoshop and maybe even print a few to use as framed art. Is there software or shareware available that I can use on my powerbook to get these images off a DVD. I appreciate any suggestions or advice...thanx.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by DUDE 007:
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is possible...I want to extract or export still images from we'll say my favorite DVDs. I eventually want to edit them in photoshop and maybe even print a few to use as framed art. Is there software or shareware available that I can use on my powerbook to get these images off a DVD. I appreciate any suggestions or advice...thanx.
Check out This link from macintouch. Its a thread (old one from 2002) that discusses your issue. Most importantly, there are links at the bottom to many DVD extractor-type programs mentioned in the thread. I personally use OSEx -- complicated at first, but quite powerful once you know what you're up to. Also, check on versiontracker, there are many freeware solutions to you problem (at the very least, you can extract the video into a form that's playable by another player (QT, WMP, Real) that will allow your to do a direct screen grab.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2004, 08:49 AM

If you are just looking to take screen shots and edit them in photoshop, save yourself some time and insert the DVD and play it with VLC.

You can do the good old Command + Shift + 3 to capture the screen.

Apple DVD Player won't let you do this.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2004, 11:34 AM

There are also several tools on versiontracker designed solely to capture images or video from DVD Player (also I've heard long ago that NVidia graphics cards don't support whatever Apple did to prevent you taking normal screenshots from DVD Player; that may or may not still be true).

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by DUDE 007:
and maybe even print a few to use as framed art.
You're never going to get the necessary resolution from a DVD to print anything much larger than a thumbnail, unless pixellated is actually the look you're going for. DVD video is all 72 dpi. I've tried doing that before and it was, how you say, "not good".

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by MountainMac:
You're never going to get the necessary resolution from a DVD to print anything much larger than a thumbnail, unless pixellated is actually the look you're going for. DVD video is all 72 dpi. I've tried doing that before and it was, how you say, "not good".

MM
Unless you use something like this

http://www.evological.com/imagedv.html

NOTE: I've never used it, but I hear it works well with some shots (not fast action)

Cheers

-Q-
Apr 9, 2004, 09:13 AM

And if you want to spend money, SnapzPro X can grab screenshots of DVDs playing in Apple's DVD player. But if you're just looking to get pictures (you won't be able to print them as posters) VLC is the way to go.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2004, 10:01 AM

Here is a screen grab using VLC.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2004, 04:17 PM

Why use snapz?

Open terminal, type:

screencapture -c

It copies the image to your clipboard..works in all apps including Apple's DVD.

-Q-
Apr 9, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by schuey100:
Why use snapz?
Two reasons:

Snapz give a bit more fine control in the screen capture process. And if I wanted to play with the terminal, I'd have just installed Darwin and be done with it.

pdot
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 03:21 AM

there's an app called DVD Capture. you can find it on versiontracker.com. images come out as PDFs, but can be easily converted using something like "freePhotoConverter"
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 04:56 AM

PDF's can also be converted to most formats with Apple's 'Preview'.

thevideojunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2004, 12:41 PM

screencapture -c

Wow! Neat trick. Thanks for posting that. That Terminal command works well enough for my purposes.

apollo11
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2004, 01:22 PM

Thanks for that great tip to screen capture with screencapture-c.

Just one question, how can I do this without the Terminal window appearing in the capture?

Thanks in Advance

Forum Links
Forum Rules