Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Difference between Router, Hub

Difference between Router, Hub
Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 03:05 AM

Im a little lacking when it comes to knowlege on networking, so exactly what is the difference between a router and a hub. From what little i know the only diffrence i have found is that a router has firewall capabilities. The reason I am asking is because I am getting DSL and want to share the connection with the other computers I have in my house. So which one should I go for, and any recomendations? Im only interested in wired solutions at this point. I also have verizon DSL, if that matters at all.

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 03:42 AM

ok i decided not be be lazy and did some research online...so never mind i now know i need a router, but id still like some recommendations. Right now im looking at either a D-link router with 4 port switch or a linksys router with 4 port switch.

John Strung
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 10:10 AM

Either one should work fine.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2004, 03:44 PM

I concur with John. Siemens is also good, and USRobotics even makes nice products-I have Linksys, Siemens and USRobotics gateway routers right now, and all have been good to me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 06:26 PM

ive heard that linksys products have been less reliable, anyone else with these routers have any problems?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 13, 2004, 12:25 AM

Frankly, all the consumer-grade networking gear is crap.

tooki

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 11:47 AM

Well, they're crap that works for the average user, so they're an ok buy.

I've already tried the lot -- D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, Planet, Realtek, Repotec, etc. You I've had to make recommendations/suggestions to small groups in campus that need to setup their own networks at a really tight budget. Its not like you need a 3Com or Cisco for home use anyway.

Linksys has made a name for itself, and it was recently purchased by Cisco (to feed the low-end market). Some of their recent routers run on Linux, which adds some cool features to it. None of them explicitly say all-out Mac support, but since they're all administered through a web interface (save for the Apple base stations), it doesn't pose too much of a problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 14, 2004, 09:13 PM

Tooki is right-particularly if you're looking for a router that will handle heavy-duty tasks. I've seen far too many posts (all over the place) from people who complain that their $50 consumer router just won't keep up with their $5K Cisco router, or that it locks up when handling traffic over some enormous level. Yep. Bet on it. You can also bet that your Suzuki sedan won't tow your cabin cruiser uphill on the freeway. Same situation.

On the other hand, I've had a Linksys router cooking away since late 2000, and the only thing I've ever had to do to it is restart it occasionally. My USRobotics router is daisy-chained from the Linksys and also does just fine. The Siemens is sitting on a shelf as a backup right now.

I would never recommend a consumer-grade router for any really high traffic application, but mine has handles a modest 1.5Mbps DSL connection with aplomb.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules