Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you know how to tie a tie?

View Poll Results: Do you know how to tie a tie?
Poll Options:
Yes I can tie my own tie 56 votes (53.33%)
Not only can I tie my own tie, but I also know the difference between warm and cold colours 34 votes (32.38%)
I think I dress good but every woman I meet disagrees with me 1 votes (0.95%)
I don't know how to tie a tie, but I still think I know what I'm doing 14 votes (13.33%)
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll
Do you know how to tie a tie?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 01:40 PM

Or even how to dress yourself in general? A week or so ago my school had this Athletics Banquet, where essentially they have all the guys in sports have a kind of nice formal winde up for their year, so they're all supposed to wear dress clothes. Well I ended up being asked by two different guys what dress shirts they should wear, one was considering either an orange one or a white one, but he has very tanned skin so the orange would obviously look better on him, and then the other I ended up picking out a kinda pale green one for him, and then I had to tie a tie for a 24 year old!
The school does all kinds of formal things, and almost every time I end up being asked by people what looks good on them, what they're doing wrong, if I can tie their tie for them. Anyway, fortunately I have my nice new suit which looks great on me (tope acccording to the guy at the store, but I don't think he knows what topes is, it's a kind of silvery grey)
Add to that there's only one guy in dorm who knows the difference between a cold and warm colour and why you wouldn't wear a warm blue pair of jeans with a cold blue shirt.

I swear how can you be over 16 years old and not know how to tie a tie?

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Go to an American public school.

We had formals all the time but so it wouldn't discourage people from going, they set the formal standards at you need pants (blue-jeans will work) and a tucked shirt. that's all. I was over dressed most of the time and felt like an ass for being the only one with a tie.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2004, 01:46 PM

i do not own a tie, and refuse to wear them. wtf is a tie for anyway? it does not make anyone look any better and it's about time people got over this silly outdated "tradition."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 01:46 PM

one of the by products of going to a school where you had to wear a uniform since grade 1 was that you learned how to tie your tie really quickly.

and when i work i wear a suit, so it came in handy

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
Apr 10, 2004, 01:49 PM

i know how to, but i never wear them anymore. if there is a "formal" dresscode i usually wear a suit and a nice shirt.

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2004, 01:50 PM

What ever hapenned to a simple yes/no answer?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 01:51 PM

Depends on what your life is like. I had to wear a tie (and jacket & dress shoes) from 5th grade and all through High School. That sucked so much, I never wear a tie now.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
i do not own a tie, and refuse to wear them. wtf is a tie for anyway? it does not make anyone look any better and it's about time people got over this silly outdated "tradition."
You are wrong on just about every count

A tie is not an out dated tradition. It's still first of all very current, second of all it's not a tradition, a tradition would be something done, perhaps you could consider it traditional dress, but if you want to throw out all traditional dress you might as well run around naked. As for a tie not making you look better, it actually does, it creates a virtical line down the centre of you that makes you look slimmer and taller. That said most ties that people who have a clue wear do make them look better because they are nice ties.
Are they always comfortable? Deppends on the person, and how tight you tie it, i never really even notice mine when I wear it, at the same time I find the Gel I put in my hair a bit uncomfortable, but it makes my hair look significantly better, and now if I stopped putting it in I don't feel right.

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2004, 03:01 PM

yup...private school forced me to learn...

if any of you dont know, this is how it is done.

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2004, 05:07 PM

I taught myself last month

benb
Apr 10, 2004, 05:19 PM

The ladies like a man with a tie. That's why I wear ties.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 05:43 PM

A better poll would be what style you tie your tie. I do the double windsor, myself.

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 11:57 PM

Now how many out there know how to tie a bowtie?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Now how many out there know how to tie a bowtie?
not me. never tried.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2004, 01:07 AM

Never learned how to tie a bow tie, I tend not to like the look of them as opposed to neck ties... not to mention there are very few things that they are supposed to be worn with... they have kinda like a childish look to them too... that said I used to wear a little clip on one when I was a kid.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 02:36 AM

Nothing better than going to a formal dinner with a real bowtie and not a pre-made one.

As to ties themselves? Australia is going through a huge anti-suit phase and so ties are no longer the norm. I used to work in a consulting company and then years later in a merchant bank so I have 60+ ties and nearly none of them under $80AUD. What a waste of money.

And why did I post this confession here?

To allude to the idea that most people pay for fashion at sometime in their life. I hear (I am 39 which may as well be dead to young people and no longer can be bothered with fashion) that some people pay enormous amounts for jeans and tracksuits (I think Americans call them 'sweats'). Who is more stupid? The guy that has his business shirts made for him or someone who pays $800AUD for a pair of jeans?
this sig intentionally left blank

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2004, 02:48 AM

Well I ended up being asked by two different guys what dress shirts they should wear, one was considering either an orange one or a white one, but he has very tanned skin so the orange would obviously look better on him, and then the other I ended up picking out a kinda pale green one for him
Queer Eye for the straight guys?

"If it's broke, you choke."

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2004, 03:17 AM

wow... poll responses a little loaded, aren't they

anyway, no, i don't know how to tie a tie (and am 17). do i care? not really. if i'm up for a performance there's always someone in choir who DOES know how to tie a tie. sides, there are always guides on the internet, in case i need to know NOW.

i wouldn't exactly call myself fashion-conscious, so "warm" and "cold" colors mean nothing to me. it either looks good or it's ugly. end of story.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 05:19 AM

Chicken, It's clearly time to admit to yourself that you are gay. There isn't a straight man on this planet who knows what the **** a warm color and a cool color is.

It's OK. Be strong. Come on Out. We will still not like you just as much as we don't like you now. And you will be a happier person in the long run.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 08:02 AM

As much as I've found Chicken annoying I think people should leave him alone on his sexuality - it is no one's business but his own.

People should not be labelled with their sexuality anymore than their skin or eye colour or race as none of these things can be changed and knowing that someone has green eyes or whatever should make no difference as to how they should be treated.

So what if he asks the odd question? At least he asks and is interested and is not afraid to ask.

I truely don't believe I have written this. Anyone making any jokes about me cracking on the SC better watch out! I'll be in the US, UK and Scandanavia in May and I know how to tie a tie!!!
this sig intentionally left blank

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
Chicken, It's clearly time to admit to yourself that you are gay. There isn't a straight man on this planet who knows what the **** a warm color and a cool color is.

Me, I know how to tie a tie. But never do. No need. I dress like crap and still can't go out of the house without gorgeous totty hitting on me.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2004, 08:49 AM

Technically it does have a function...

It's to wipe your face when you are eating... but I guess I'm the only one doing that these days

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
As much as I've found Chicken annoying I think people should leave him alone on his sexuality - it is no one's business but his own.

People should not be labelled with their sexuality anymore than their skin or eye colour or race as none of these things can be changed and knowing that someone has green eyes or whatever should make no difference as to how they should be treated.

So what if he asks the odd question? At least he asks and is interested and is not afraid to ask.

I truely don't believe I have written this. Anyone making any jokes about me cracking on the SC better watch out! I'll be in the US, UK and Scandanavia in May and I know how to tie a tie!!!
Aww thanks Simon
But I seriously don't mind the jokes, I've stated before on here that I don't state my sexuality because I don't like the way that people catagorize everyone and junk like that, so I think that's kind of what fuels it all.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2004, 02:49 PM

Yes, I know know how to tie a neck tie both ways. It has been a while since I've worn one though. I also learned how to tie a bow tie. I think they look nice also, definitely superior to a pre-tied neck tie.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Dennis002
Apr 11, 2004, 03:33 PM

Is this a Will&Grace audition?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2004, 03:38 PM

Capable of tying my own and tying other people's. I enjoy formal clothing... and good shirt + blue genes + jacket do not a suit make (dammit).

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
Capable of tying my own and tying other people's. I enjoy formal clothing... and good shirt + blue genes + jacket do not a suit make (dammit).
That said a shirt, sport coat and jeans can at least make a nice semi formal look

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2004, 03:57 PM

I'm more that two times over 16 and am blissfully ignorant on the subject.

in fact i've turned down jobs because they required me to wear a tie.
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2004, 11:58 PM

I had to learn to tie a tie because I was on the varsity debate team in high school. After I graduated hs, I have never had to wear a tie. One of the plus points of being an engineer is that I can wear t-shirts and shorts or jeans to work.

I still have two ties, both traditional stripe ties, one is blue and red (my hs school colors) the other is blue and gold (Cal's colors). My mom bought me the second tie for college graduation, but since I didn't go to graduation I've never worn that tie.

--ranga

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2004, 12:19 AM

i still maintain that one can look good and "professional" without resorting to having a noose around their neck. gimme steve jobs and his black turtleneck and jeans over bill gates in his suit and tie anyday. i work as an "i.t. professional" and the fact that i know what i am doing and get the job done promptly gets me more respect amongst my coworkers and clients than any tie ever would.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2004, 12:28 AM

i still maintain that one can look good and "professional" without resorting to having a noose around their neck. gimme steve jobs and his black turtleneck and jeans over bill gates in his suit and tie anyday. i work as an "i.t. professional" and the fact that i know what i am doing and get the job done promptly gets me more respect amongst my coworkers and clients than any tie ever would.
Dude, if you think a turtle neck is professional looking? Jobs intentionally does NOT look professional... oi vey.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2004, 12:33 AM

Dude, if you think a turtle neck is professional looking? Jobs intentionally does NOT look professional... oi vey.
i sure do think he looks professional, just not in your "traditional" way. professional is not just about looks you know...it's about how you behave and how well you know your stuff.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 12:37 AM

My girlfriend does it for me... she likes to
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2004, 12:39 AM

i sure do think he looks professional, just not in your "traditional" way. professional is not just about looks you know...it's about how you behave and how well you know your stuff.
you may be confusing confidence with professionalism.
he sure is confident though.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by brapper:
no, i am not. as i said, being professional is not just about how you look. i don't mean that you can get up onstage at macworld in jeans with ripped knees and a t-shirt with a cigarette package tucked in the sleeve....but nice clean jeans and a classy shirt (or turtleneck) can leave just as good an impression as a suit and tie...."casual professional" is its own style and it is one that i prefer...superchicken obviously does not agree...that's his opinion and he is entitled to it and while i may not agree i certainly don't condemn him for it.

ps - go leafs go!

ladybird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 12:49 AM

I reflect...

please... minute

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 01:45 AM

Double Windsor knot for me, though I have no idea what warm/cool colors are -- perhaps red/yellow = warm, blue/green = cool?

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2004, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by brapper:
he sure is confident though.
professionalism breeds confidence

looking "professional" means squat.
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2004, 02:11 PM

He looks professional, just not in the traditional, therefore widely recognized form of professional. Riiight.

Dude one thing about being professional, is you have to have the WHOLE package, you can look professional for your feild in a bathing suit if you're a swimmer, for example so yes you don't necessarily need a tie or something. But for most areas to look professional, you need to have pretty good posture, confidence, a good hand shake helped, well good facial expressions, good clothes etc. There's a whole package that goes with it, you can't claim that you can look professional in a pair of wide legged jeans and a wife beater, it just doesn't work.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2004, 02:35 PM

I don't know how to tie a tie, but I own 4 of them. AND I know the difference between warm and cold colors...

WHERE IS THAT OPTION!?

-Owl

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2004, 02:39 PM

He looks professional, just not in the traditional, therefore widely recognized form of professional. Riiight.

Dude one thing about being professional, is you have to have the WHOLE package, you can look professional for your feild in a bathing suit if you're a swimmer, for example so yes you don't necessarily need a tie or something. But for most areas to look professional, you need to have pretty good posture, confidence, a good hand shake helped, well good facial expressions, good clothes etc. There's a whole package that goes with it, you can't claim that you can look professional in a pair of wide legged jeans and a wife beater, it just doesn't work.
i was going to type a long rebuttal to this but i can't be bothered going back and forth over the same thing over and over and over. i've said my opinion, and i've seen it in the "real world" - when you get out of school and work in the real world for a while you might see what i mean. i'm done with this thread now.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 12:32 PM

you can't claim that you can look professional in a pair of wide legged jeans and a wife beater
Yes you can.
Suits and ties are for grey, mediocre people who need to hide their incompetence behind "the uniform". Period.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 12:45 PM

I used to could tie a very nice bow-tie. never learned the double-windsor, though. A single-windsor always did the trick with the skinny ties I wore when they were fashionable in the '80s.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Yes you can.
Suits and ties are for grey, mediocre people who need to hide their incompetence behind "the uniform". Period.
Um, no.

I wear ties to work every day...for a few reasons.

1) I need some way to distinguish myself from the students. It helps cut through BS in the administrative offices, and makes me more easily recognizable to the students.

2) It is about respect for what I do and how I do it. It has nothing to do with hiding incompetence.

3) The ladies (one lady in particular) like how they look. Always happy to please the ladies.

I don't expect others to dress the same way or even feel the same way about it. But is has nothing to do with hiding any deficiencies. It is not a "uniform." I'm pretty much the only one in the department who does wear a tie.

I very much like the feel of a well made cotton shirt and linen/wool pants. The tie completes the outfit, and give one a little bit of leeway in expressing one's personality.

I used to know how to do a double Windsor, but I usually use a single Windsor. No idea how to tie a bow-tie as I don't get invited to many black-tie affairs (thankfully). I also know what cold and warm colors are, but being colorblind complicates things. That's where having a loving spouse whom I trust comes in handy.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I used to could ....
Nice english, there, Tex.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by boots:
Nice english, there, Tex.
This is a lounge. As such, I like to keep it coversational. You know, a Happy Place.

English is so malleable. What a fine language.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
This is a lounge. As such, I like to keep it coversational. You know, a Happy Place.

English is so malleable. What a fine language.

CV
I still use that and "might could" a lot. It certainly gets people's attention.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by boots:
I don't expect others to dress the same way or even feel the same way about it. But is has nothing to do with hiding any deficiencies. It is not a "uniform." I'm pretty
Agreed, I don't get all this BS about it being some sort of thing that makes you less of a person. A tie and the dress that goes with it are like the difference between eating at McDonalds and eating at a higher class resturant (and for all of you who don't get the difference, Subway does not classify as higher class). It's not necessarily bad to eat at McDonalds now and then, but if you refuse to ever dine at the nicer resturants all you're doing is cheating yourself out of a different kind of good time.

Some people can pull off jeans and a wife beater if they're in the right place and time, and they're the right age. But there is no way you can look proffessional in one. If you honestly think you can, you have no clue what you're talking about.

As per the real world Mr. Blur, gimmie a break, after reading your posts I some how doubt you've had much experience in this world you keep telling us about.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 02:20 PM

I'm a jeans, Docs and t-shirt guy, 99.765 % of the time. Every once in a while, it feels good to get all duded up in my Sunday best, and go to the theatre, or Jefferey's or somewhere where I can show off my $350.00 italian shoes.

That, and weddings/funerals.

CV

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 02:22 PM

Yep: Windsor, Half-Windsor, Four-in-Hand, Pratt, bow tie (which is like tying a shoelace).

Forum Links
Forum Rules