Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VLC media player is currently unmaintained

VLC media player is currently unmaintained (Page 2)
techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 3, 2004, 09:40 AM

Ok, checked it out of CVS, just finding my way around a bit. Logged into the irc channel but everyone was speaking french...
Will post whatever progress I make...
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 12:27 PM

Thanks for VLC! It's been my Quicktime replacement for a while now, sorry to see further updates end. It's such a kick ass app, thanx again.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The DJ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by osiris:
Thanks for VLC! It's been my Quicktime replacement for a while now, sorry to see further updates end. It's such a kick ass app, thanx again.
Well i hope it's not ending. it will just be ending for me as the lead OS X developer.

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

TheWorldIsFlat
Mar 3, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by The DJ:
0.7.1 is out

tI advise everyone to look at the opengl videooutput with transparent spinning cube effect tucked away in the preferences.
It's not 100% stable yet, but way faster for G4/400 and up and the optional effects are super cool.

Forgot to fix disable the cpu hogging mp3 decoder, a 0.7.1a release might follow.
Long story short, it's a lot better

PS. haven't seen techtrucker yet
OMG thats amazing! Could you please create an option to turn the main player window into an Open Gl object that we can rotate around like OSX Chess? Not 3D but a 2D window that can be tilted and rotated as if I'm watching it at an angle. That would be an amazing demonstration of programming and OSX.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
So, what is it then?
Sorry, it seems I was wrong. :/

But he WAS being an ass.

Peabo
Senior User
Mar 3, 2004, 06:33 PM

If i can smoothly resize a window playing live video on all 6 sides of a rotating cube with no frame-skipping at all, why can't I resize a brushed-metal window smoothly?!!?
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
If i can smoothly resize a window playing live video on all 6 sides of a rotating cube with no frame-skipping at all, why can't I resize a brushed-metal window smoothly?!!?
Because DJ doesn't work for Apple!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
I know, its very strange.

techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 7, 2004, 09:12 AM

I am sorry to disappoint, but I'm having a bit of a hard time building vlc. This was my first attempt at working on an open source project, and also my first time working on an app that wasn't completely native. However, I am determined to learn and will keep plugging away. I've subscribed to the dev mailing list and will see if I can get any help getting this thing built. The OS X bits are actually very straightforward and easy enough to understand. If I make any progress I'll let you all know.
Lots of older Macs

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2004, 03:16 PM

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2004, 04:09 PM

I'd be glad to help out, although I'd have to see if it's okay with Omni first. I'm not so good with video codecs, but I could fix crashers, interface bugs, or whatever.

It is not time for VLC on Mac OS X to die. It's one of the best video players on the whole platform!
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
I'd be glad to help out, although I'd have to see if it's okay with Omni first. I'm not so good with video codecs, but I could fix crashers, interface bugs, or whatever.

It is not time for VLC on Mac OS X to die. It's one of the best video players on the whole platform!
Wow, that'd be great - an Omni-quality interface on VLC, which is already a great video player! If you just sort out the preferences window, I'll be overjoyed!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 07:12 AM

Good stuff!

The DJ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Good stuff!
Yeahaa, Omni power, that would be cool.
He even managed to compile it within a single night. That's pretty fast for a VLC beginner

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Wow, that'd be great - an Omni-quality interface on VLC, which is already a great video player! If you just sort out the preferences window, I'll be overjoyed!

Amorya
FWIW, I don't think engineers work on interfaces

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
FWIW, I don't think engineers work on interfaces
Yeah that is/was mike

-Owl

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2004, 11:02 PM

So it seems that I'm not able to get the latest version of VLC to play OGG Vorbis files. Is something broken, or is it just me?

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Yeah that is/was mike

-Owl
First, let me make it clear that Omni is not going to play any part in this -- I am contributing strictly on my own time.

Second, Mike did do a lot of mockups and icons and things. But if you're implying that he was the sole driving force behind our recent UIs, then I have hundreds of hours of meetings, arguments, and (code) experiments to tell you about. UIs are used by many people, and thus UI design should be (and is) a team effort.

I'm going to try to work with the VLC team as much as possible to figure out what they want and what their users want, and then I'm going to start coding from there. There's no "Omni magic" involved
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 07:57 AM

Nevertheless your efforts are appreciated!!

and techtruckers!

techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 09:36 AM

Thankfully I was finally able to build it, thanks to some tips from Tim. Like Tim, I can't do much as far as video codecs, etc. but I think I can certainly help out on the OS X specific bits...
Lots of older Macs

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 09:51 AM

Tim2;

Thanks for the Omni clarification. I think we would all love to see a real company pick this program up and run with it (naturally for free, but it usually doesn't work that way even though this is a application based on GPL components.)

A big thank you.

The ONLY features that I would like to see implemented over the next few years (hopefully sooner) would be:

1) An iTunes like interface of sorts (something where I could archive DivX, MP4, etc. etc. videos and the application organizes them with nice cover art and information etc. - This is a driving force for many)

2) The inclusion of Simplevideoout in to the project. This may not work for everyone, but essentially you can connect your computer to a firewire based video camera, and connect the video camera to your TV set and stream the video from Quicktime through your camcorder in to your TV. It would be amazing if VLC could do this as well.

techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Tim2;

1) An iTunes like interface of sorts (something where I could archive DivX, MP4, etc. etc. videos and the application organizes them with nice cover art and information etc. - This is a driving force for many)

That was my first thought too, great idea. Shouldn't be that difficult...
Lots of older Macs

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
First, let me make it clear that Omni is not going to play any part in this -- I am contributing strictly on my own time.

Second, Mike did do a lot of mockups and icons and things. But if you're implying that he was the sole driving force behind our recent UIs, then I have hundreds of hours of meetings, arguments, and (code) experiments to tell you about. UIs are used by many people, and thus UI design should be (and is) a team effort.

I'm going to try to work with the VLC team as much as possible to figure out what they want and what their users want, and then I'm going to start coding from there. There's no "Omni magic" involved
Sorry

-Owl

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 03:40 PM

Keep it being a video player!
And don't suggest there are "many" if there is no evidence.

-

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:

-
He is talking about the *interface*. Not to make VLC some sort of an iTunes clone.

DivX, MP4, etc. etc. are video formats.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 04:15 PM

-
OK Moonray... then don't suggest there aren't "many" if there is no evidence....

I've seen requests for such a program from many people (who own a digital camera that can take video, home movies, illegal DivX that they have downloaded, people interested in making video archives of their DVD collections, etc. etc.). I bet Apple will come up with an application like this, but it's probably not going to be for years and it will be full of DRM.

ALSO, this would only be a slight extension from the current VLC as it already has a playlist with shuffle, repeat etc...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 04:17 PM

He is talking about the *interface*. Not to make VLC some sort of an iTunes clone.

Thanks voodoo... (as usual, spot on...) I was only talking about the interface and perhaps the organization... but then again, I guess it could be an iTunes replacement... one which also plays OGG etc. etc.

It already has the visuals (yes, that was a joke)

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 05:14 PM

OK Moonray... then don't suggest there aren't "many" if there is no evidence....

I've seen requests for such a program from many people (who own a digital camera that can take video, home movies, illegal DivX that they have downloaded, people interested in making video archives of their DVD collections, etc. etc.). I bet Apple will come up with an application like this, but it's probably not going to be for years and it will be full of DRM.

ALSO, this would only be a slight extension from the current VLC as it already has a playlist with shuffle, repeat etc...
The evidence that there aren't many is that they obviously never state such requests, but I'll happily read other people's opinion about that if you would kindfully provide some links?

-

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 05:25 PM

The reason that iTunes can and does offer some database-like features is that mp3 files can be tagged with all this necessary info like artist, album, track number, genre, and even the cover art.

To emulate this functionality with video files you'd need an external database and that is clearly beyond the tasks of a video player. Supporting playlists is a fine thing, but I don't see there's the need for more. To sort videos on your hd there are folders and subfolders, and who needs to manage a DVD collection might think of some other solution.

-

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2004, 05:38 PM

The reason that iTunes can and does offer some database-like features is that mp3 files can be tagged with all this necessary info like artist, album, track number, genre, and even the cover art.

To emulate this functionality with video files you'd need an external database and that is clearly beyond the tasks of a video player.
Actually, iTunes does have an external database too. That's how it keeps track of info for albums.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Actually, iTunes does have an external database too. That's how it keeps track of info for albums.
... and for keeping track of where the tracks are of course, and it's nice to have all this for a big mp3 collection, but I doubt people will handle thousands of videos on their hds.

What I can imagine and would like was a Sherlock module that would allow to search for files (and any attributes you might give them) not only on the currently mounted drives but also on any removable media like CDs, DVDs, or any external drives because then everyone could search easily in their DVD collection or whatever videos they might have.

-

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 06:36 PM

... and for keeping track of where the tracks are of course, and it's nice to have all this for a big mp3 collection, but I doubt people will handle thousands of videos on their hds.

What I can imagine and would like was a Sherlock module that would allow to search for files (and any attributes you might give them) not only on the currently mounted drives but also on any removable media like CDs, DVDs, or any external drives because then everyone could search easily in their DVD collection or whatever videos they might have.

-
Well, originally iTunes didn't handle more then 32,000 MP3s, and iPhoto would have trouble with anything over 600 photos.

I'm looking more for digital camera owners at first... but this could move beyond that... I probably have 100 little video clips from my Canon, and another 20-40 from other events etc.

It would be nice if I could take those videos and have a nice GUI to organize them... also include Rendezvous sharing...

Again, just ideas.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 07:14 PM

The evidence that there aren't many is that they obviously never state such requests, but I'll happily read other people's opinion about that if you would kindfully provide some links?

-
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=201956

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=130221

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=159968

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...threadid=84900

Here is what I got for starters... obviously some people are looking...

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 07:23 PM

I just want to say that I think that an iTunes-like interface for videos would be really great, especially if you could associate metadata with the movies in your library. That way, you could do a search for all the movies you shot on your Mexican vacation, or you could find everything which was filmed before or after a certain date.

Of course, this information would all have to be stored in an external database, since (AFAIK) there isn't any way to tag movies like you can with MP3s.

Rendezvous sharing for videos would also be really cool.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2004, 09:05 PM

and

Of course, this information would all have to be stored in an external database, since (AFAIK) there isn't any way to tag movies like you can with MP3s.
au contraire. The quicktime file format supports arbitrary ammounts of metadata of arbitrary format. See my app:

[plug type=shameless]Metadata Hootenanny[/plug]

QuickTime has a certain number (roughly 30 I think) of pre-defined categories (none of which overlap with ID3 tags I believe) like Director, Writer, Comment, etc. A program can also add it's own metadata of any type it wants (read: cover art; though I haven't tried to implement that in my app). This metadata can be added to movies or individual tracks within movies. All the metadata is also localized (which means you can have different metadata show up depending on the language localization of the end user's system). For those interested in pursuing this further, QTPlayer Pro refers to this metadata as "Annotations," and the QT API refers to it as User Data.

Other media formats support much more limited (as far as I know) metadata; AVI, OGM, MP4, MKV included. MPG doesn't.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 09:57 PM

Okay, some do, but those who want to store whole Babylon 5 seasons on their HD are the minority I think, and given that such a season has some 20 or 30 episodes perhaps they could be easily organized in the Finder and started with a double click.

Well, originally iTunes didn't handle more then 32,000 MP3s, and iPhoto would have trouble with anything over 600 photos.

I'm looking more for digital camera owners at first... but this could move beyond that... I probably have 100 little video clips from my Canon, and another 20-40 from other events etc.

It would be nice if I could take those videos and have a nice GUI to organize them... also include Rendezvous sharing...

Again, just ideas.
Cataloging hundreds of little videos is of course a different thing, and there a database will be helpful though I don't see why it should be integrated in a video player because many people just won't need that functionality. There is a clean distinction between a database and a player part that you can as well have two applications instead of one monster app and then you could even choose a different player to play. Database programs should basically have the ability to open files so that you should be able to start organizing your vids right now.

Rendezvous sharing will of course be nice for some, but this would be another thing after player and database. VLC supports streaming though, maybe you'll find that useful.

VLC is an open source project and the main core is the player. The task of the people porting it to different platforms is to give it a nice user interface and deal with the system specific features, and I hope the people working on VLC put their efforts into improving its abilities and making it as compatible to different video formats as possible. Handling a database would be a complete different thing.

-

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:24 PM

I have to agree with Moonray, on this one. I would, however, be all for someone taking the VLC code and writing a wrapper application around it that adds the library-like functionality.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
I have to agree with Moonray, on this one. I would, however, be all for someone taking the VLC code and writing a wrapper application around it that adds the library-like functionality.
I am on the fence...

Ultimately it boils down to this, and feel free to comment if you don't agree.
Actually, I think we are all on the same page.

If nothing else, I would like VLC to stay the same. I would probably even sacrifice ANY and ALL new features if it's simply maintained well with all other versions of VLC.

I would rather see a totally separate application that uses VLC (or rather contains VLC) and let the users decide which they want to use (as the video player would be identical).

I see an amazing application (VLC) that I use for a majority of my computer movie watching and see areas where (in my opinion) it could be improved. My main fear is if they added all these bells and whistles, VLC the video application wouldn't be maintained... and that's the worst thing that could happen.

Regarding the

I also fear that Apple will come out with iVideo and dump DRM in to the thing like crazy and use some crap format that locks us in to one way of viewing things.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2004, 09:17 AM

I guess I can envision a program that does it all for absolute computer fools (aka my friends). ONE master program to rule them all...

Which included:
- VLC (open source) http://www.videolan.org/
- iTunes like Database (not yet available)
- HandBreak (open source) http://handbrake.m0k.org/
- simplevideoout http://developer.apple.com/samplecod...leVideoOut.htm

Basically you would insert a DVD and click encode (it give you something like 3 hours or whatever) this is basically what handbreak does... then it organizes it in the iTunes like database... then if you double click on the video, it begins playing the video (in walks VLC...

And simplevideoout is a feature that lets you view the movie on your TV set...

The DJ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2004, 09:59 AM

People interested should read this.

http://via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc-devel/200403/msg00198.html

moving the playlist to the controller in an iTunes like way has been on the TODO list for some time.

Creating a complete management system however isn't a top priority yet though. You have to remember that every container (mkv,mp4/mov,avi,ogm,mp3) has it's own tagging system, and coming up with a universal database to keep track of all this options is a humonguos task. The way apple would do it is to focus on DV, MPEG4 and mov. However VLC is an allrounder and doesn't and shouldn't limit itself to which formats it WANTS to support. This is also the reason that transcoding and streaming can be so challenging atm. I don't really see a library function being what VLC is about. However incoperating some more of the playlist management functions from iTunes is a good idea and might be implemented quite easily i suspect.

Implementing the simplevideooutput in VLC is also a good idea, however you need to remember that to implement this you kinda need to have the equipment to test this, and unfortunatly that has always been my big problom in OSX development. I don't have the video and audio hardware to test all that.

Rendezvous sharing would be cool too. Can even be implemented platform indepandent. Of course the SAP and SLP announces already fulfil a similar task.

The DJ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2004, 10:04 AM

I guess I can envision a program that does it all for absolute computer fools (aka my friends). ONE master program to rule them all...

Which included:
- VLC (open source) http://www.videolan.org/
- iTunes like Database (not yet available)
- HandBreak (open source) http://handbrake.m0k.org/
- simplevideoout http://developer.apple.com/samplecod...leVideoOut.htm

Basically you would insert a DVD and click encode (it give you something like 3 hours or whatever) this is basically what handbreak does... then it organizes it in the iTunes like database... then if you double click on the video, it begins playing the video (in walks VLC...

And simplevideoout is a feature that lets you view the movie on your TV set...
Handbreak is created by a VLC developer btw
i think a library Database indeed might have a better place outside VLC.
It adds to much overhead to keep VLC maintainable.
However i also believe VLC isn't ready for this yet. Many users don't see it, but VLC changes in it's core every release, and many of those changes aren't little ones. The core needs to be much more developed before anything like this can be done. You would spent more time fixing things that get broken (which is already a problem with VLC), then you would spent developing.

The DJ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2004, 11:14 AM

BTW for the people less interested VLC can also use your help in other areas.

- User documentation (wiki.videolan.org) on player, streaming, codecs and fileformats
- Translations
- Forum moderation
- Mailinglist lurking

Getting things like this off the chests of VLC developers would free a lot of their time.
Contact [email protected]

DJ

Joe's iMac G4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 07:32 PM

Hello,

I use VLC to play HDTV MPEG2-TS files whether they be .ts or .m2t files. On a iMac G4/800, performance is not the best. I have 512MB of memory installed. Would increasing the memory improve VLC playback of HDTV files???

Thanks in advance. I hope VLC continues to be maintained as I have seen improvement with each release.

yukon
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 08:05 PM

To me, it's not about how the player looks or acts, at least at this stage (it's fine), it's what it can play. And of course being able to run in the latest MacOS X.

btw, I use MPlayer, but it hasn't been updated for quite a while, i see crashing etc, I'd like to move to something new.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 08:38 PM

has anyone tried cellulo? Just downloaded, gonna check it out soon.

http://www.cellulo.info/overview.php
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2004, 05:46 AM

Cellulo is Quicktime-based though, so it can't play any onther formats than Quicktime.

lenox
Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 11:31 AM

Cellulo is nice as it allows you to pick what codecs you want to use to play, say a divx movie (for those of us with multiple divx codecs installed).

The DJ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2004, 07:47 PM

Hello everybody,

Here is the first test release in preparation for 0.7.2 which should itself
hopefully be out in about 2 week.

You will find this test release here:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/vid...c-0.7.2-test1/
Binaries for win32 and MacOSX have already been uploaded.

As usual, this release will contain lots of new features and fixes:
* New wxWindows interface look.
* Support for embedding the video in the interface.
(Warning: Enabled by default in this test release to get some feedback
but will likely be disabled in 0.7.2 because of issues with hotkeys).
* Better handling of meta info (title, author, description, etc...).
* Bookmarks support for easier seeking/access inside medias.
* Improved GOOM visualisation plugin.
* New VideoLAN manager for VOD streaming support.
* Faster than realtime stream output (limited by CPU) for the file output.
* The stream output uses the standard configuration system (more flexible).
* Win32 DirectShow input improvements.
* etc...
See http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS for the extensive list.

Please, test heavily and report any problems you have.

Translators will find the translation files to be updated here:
http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan...o-files.tar.gz
(instructions on how to update the po files are in the included README
file). You have about 2 weeks to work on these translations. If you feel you
need more time, please tell us.

Enjoy!

For the VideoLAN team,

--
Gildas
New test build of VLC. Not too many new Mac specific things. Haven't heard from Tim in weeks. But the core stuff should be worth it as well.

DJ

i_wolf
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 10:18 PM

hey guys just wanted to say thanks a million for all the work you guys are doing at the moment.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by i_wolf:
hey guys just wanted to say thanks a million for all the work you guys are doing at the moment.
You guys rock !!

Forum Links
Forum Rules