Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Analog to DV converter

Analog to DV converter
averagemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 08:44 PM

A project came to me yesterday requiring the editing of an analog video clip about 5 minutes long. I tried to use my Digi8mm cam to pullit off, but since the video was recorded with an old 8mm video camera it was a no go. So I fell back on my old faithful eyetv(usb) and pulled it off that way, but after doing all the steps required to make this clip useable in FCP I realized that it was time to move up to a better solution.

I would like your feedback regarding the Formac Studio TVR and the Eye TV 200. I know the TV software that is provided with the Fomac is pretty much unuseable and there is a better solution in the Vidi software, What I really want to know is how is the conversion from analog to DV with thess products?

I've posted this else where with no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Averagemac
Just let it be!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 27, 2004, 09:29 PM

Eye TV is not a DV converter: it uses MPEG2, which is not a good format for editing.

Formac, although their products are nice, has horrible tech support, and is overpriced.

It sounds to me like you're looking at DVR devices, when what you actually need is a simple but reliable analog-to-DV converter, such as Sony's Digital Media Converter, Dazzle's Hollywood Bridge, or Miglia's Director's Cut. (There are more such gadgets, I just can't remember the names.)

tooki

spathi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 12:53 AM

I've seen the Canopus ADVC-100 in action and it works very well.

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/A...m_advc-100.asp

not sure if its pricey compared to others though (haven't done much research on the subject)
17" PB /w 1 gig of ram

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by spathi:
I've seen the Canopus ADVC-100 in action and it works very well.

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/A...m_advc-100.asp

not sure if its pricey compared to others though (haven't done much research on the subject)
Second that. Great product, good price.

averagemac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 02:10 PM

Hey all thanks for the input. I was looking the the Canopus last night and have seen some great reviews of the product.

In a way I was lookig at the Formac for the TV capabilities as well. The reason was to get one device that accomplished 2 things. Where as if I go with the Canopus I would have to keep my Eye TV as well. Which is an option, but if the other method worked better I could sell the Eye TV on ebay and make my desk less cluttered.

So if you know of any details regarding the Formac please chime in and let me know.

Again thanks for all the feedback

AverageMac
Just let it be!!

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Second that. Great product, good price.
A third vote for the AVDC-100 here.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 05:45 PM

I'm looking to buy one of the analog-digital converters as well. Has anyone had any experience with the DAC-100 DV Converter?

http://datavideo-tek.com/navigation_...100/entire.htm

thanks,

lw

wk929
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 11:00 PM

You might want to consider Pinnacle Systems' MovieBox DV. I believe it's substantially cheaper than the formac... it is priced around 200$ on Amazon.com

I've used MovieBox DV's converter to great avail - it streams into FCP or iMovie very well. I've never used the software that comes with it (I've heard it's kind of clunky and unresponsive) but if you're using a mac, you'll probably be using iMovie or FCP anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules