Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lets Talk TIGER......

Lets Talk TIGER...... (Page 3)
nbnz
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 12:10 AM

What about the "Home on iPod" that was meant to be in Panther?
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
They're not gonna beat the Panther look they've got going on. A bold, brushed metal X. Black box. Black CDs... Can't get any more geek-sexy and professional than that.

The Jaguar X has been the worst of the 3 Xs thus far, no contest.
Black T-shirt too, at least on the day it came out .

Yeah, I don't know that I would have worn a Jag T-shirt quite as readily .

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:36 AM

I'm sure tiger will be just as cool

What I want to see solved is the stupid lookupd/crashreporter crash issue. I can't believe that they still haven't fixed it and are already planning to ask for another $129 not too far off from now.

BASTIDS!
Aloha

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Seriously. How could anyone call 10.0 stable?
Because it never, ever, EVER crashed? (In fact, neither did the public beta.)

tooki

xe0
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 12:42 AM

Just sent some feedback to Apple. I know the chances of them listening are quite low, but nonetheless I had to do it
heres what I sent:

Hey there!

I love the implementation of Tabs in Safari and would love to see the same feature in the Finder!
The 10.3 Finder incarnation is quite a nice change- but I feel it could be a whole lot better with Tabs. Too often I have a screen full of Finder windows and it tends to get rather confusing when dealing with a plethora of files. I am sure Tabbed browsing within the finder would be a welcome change for all Mac users.

thanks for your time.

I seriously want tabbed browsing with in the Finder...

mikemako
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Because it never, ever, EVER crashed? (In fact, neither did the public beta.)

tooki
same for me. And also, I remember in 10.0 when I would "force quit" an application, it would IMMEDIATELY quit without hesitation. In 10.1 that was no longer the case. Sometimes (in Panther) I have to force quit a couple times before the app will quit and sometimes it just won't quit at all!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Brass
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by mikemako:
same for me. And also, I remember in 10.0 when I would "force quit" an application, it would IMMEDIATELY quit without hesitation. In 10.1 that was no longer the case. Sometimes (in Panther) I have to force quit a couple times before the app will quit and sometimes it just won't quit at all!
hmmm... I wonder if they changed it from using "kill -9" to "kill" (ie, unix commands).

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by xe0:
Just sent some feedback to Apple. I know the chances of them listening are quite low, but nonetheless I had to do it
heres what I sent:

Hey there!

I love the implementation of Tabs in Safari and would love to see the same feature in the Finder!
The 10.3 Finder incarnation is quite a nice change- but I feel it could be a whole lot better with Tabs. Too often I have a screen full of Finder windows and it tends to get rather confusing when dealing with a plethora of files. I am sure Tabbed browsing within the finder would be a welcome change for all Mac users.

thanks for your time.

I seriously want tabbed browsing with in the Finder...
Why not make tabbed windows available for all windows. You could have a finder window, tabbed with a safari window and a textedit window. Basically merging 2 or more document windows into one single window. You could pull a proxy icon from the grouped window and drop an "multi-alias" of the window (containing multiple docs) on your desktop (or anywhere else). Launching the "multi-alias", would launch all the documents (and all the apps) back up into one window.

Wow, I had a large beer with lunch so I'm probably going off on one, this seems to make sense to me at the moment. A single project with photoshop documents, a Dreamweaver document, a safari window for previewing/researching, and all the relevant finder files.

All in one window!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 02:44 AM

People that didn't like 10.0 or 10.1 didn't like it because they didn't get to play with it.

Mac Unix people were loving it.

I just want more speed and less beach ball... That's my #1 complaint...

Oh, and a movie theater iApp along with a cool piece of hardware so I can stream it over firewere in HD... Is that asking too much?

Gavin
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 02:57 AM

you can designate certain items accross different apps to be part of a Project -- i.e. emails, web pages, word docs, etc. when you select a Project (maybe through a menu item) only the items previously designated as part of the Project will be visible. basically, it would be like Fast User Switching, but within the same user account
Originally posted by Link:
What you're talking about is virtual desktops.
No it goes beyond that.

you could have a whole set of things change the way you can use locations to define a set of network settings.

You could have a set of default places to for each app to open and save files - instead of the normal 'last place' most apps use:

set Photoshop to open files from your source folder and save for web to save files to a finished graphics folder.
set BBedit to default its open dialog to your workspace file folder.

Apps could have alternate sets of options:

set a batch of tabs with urls to be opened in Safari, with relevant bookmarks in the bookmark bar.
Word would switch to use the font group, tabs, and printer settings for your project.
finder would open a virtual folder with various files in them that actually live in other folders.

Some sophisticated apps do some of this themselves already but this would automate it for several at once.

Of course this would also include a virtual desktop.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 03:00 AM

One thing that will be in for sure is some kind of certificates management in Keychain.app. At the moment you can't export your certificates in a portable format. Instead you have to use Mozilla for that. As they have started to support S/MIME in 10.3 they definately will go on this way and make it usefull eventually.

As already mentioned, I bet we will see a new metadata filesystem. Not only because they hired the BeFS devloper, but also because they need to have it to compete with WinFS. Perhaps they will even make it available over the network (MS will _not_ implement it in Longhorn 2006). Perhaps they will call it MacFS?
This would actually fit very well in Apple's strategy for smart somethings in iTunes and iPhoto. This time it would be only logic to give us smart folders.

Home on iPod will probably be there, too. Although I for one don't need it.

I guess they will work on File Vault even more. Perhaps you will be able to encrypt certain directories only and so on....

Other than that, they will perhaps update vpn to support certain cisco abnormalties.

What I can think of too is some kind of Rendezvous Extreme with the possibilty to restrict acces to certain users or machines only.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

JasonQG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 03:06 AM

I forget what Apple used to call it, but I want the ability to save the contents of RAM to disk and shutdown (like hibernate on Windows). For laptop users, I think this is the biggest OS 9 feature not in OS X.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by JasonQG:
I forget what Apple used to call it, but I want the ability to save the contents of RAM to disk and shutdown (like hibernate on Windows). For laptop users, I think this is the biggest OS 9 feature not in OS X.
Why don't you just close the lid? I've been doing that for over a year now and haven't noticed any problems.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 03:11 AM

I like the hybernate mode...

I seriously want a firewire device that I can connect to my computer for HD content...

bastion
May 5, 2004, 05:24 AM

I want CUT and PASTE in Finder.
Cheers,
Nick.

Gavin
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 05:27 AM

I want more internet features.

2 way FTP built into the finder. It should also work with sftp, scp, etc.

We have Apache, let's use it!
It should be much easier to get various things onto the web like documents, your iPhoto gallery, your calendars, your address book, a blog, etc. All served locally, not hosted at .mac

It should come with php web apps like Gallery and phpicalendar, or a work alike.

There should be a control panel to set up things served by apache, a way to help you get past your firewall and tell you what address your friends in xville can use to get your page.
click here to email your home page link to others.
check this box to make your sites folder public.
check this box to put your photos online.
check this box to publish your blog
etc etc
a dyndns.org setup tab, with built in client

Sure, I can set all this up manually, but I know what I'm doing - your mom doesn't

/Users/me on a USB keychain drive - now I can log in to any mac as me. Even a 64meg stick can hold your prefs, desktop pic, and important docs.

dice
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Gavin:

We have Apache, let's use it!
It should be much easier to get various things onto the web like documents, your iPhoto gallery, your calendars, your address book, a blog, etc. All served locally, not hosted at .mac
it can't really get easier than putting your HTML files in your sites folder and turning on "personal web sharing" in the prefs... thats what i do

sure they *could* put the files there for you automagically from iPhoto...
sheesh, that took 8 hours for me to be asked to change my sig...

deminisma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 06:10 AM

Proper session management.

Please. I mean, when I logout of my KDE session on GNU/Linux everything is saved. When I log back in, it's still there. OS X definately needs to do this.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by z|gzag:
The Finder needs to be rewritten, it totally sucks to the point I quit it when I start my computer, its just an abomination.

Its not Finder, its Loser PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET IT BE FIXED UP.
Aye. The Finder needs consistency and a complete rewrite. While I like the sidebar, that is the only thing I like about it. The fact that it is a bastard mix between spacial views and column view is a pain. Not only that but the way that clicking on a sidebar icon makes that then the new root of the column view is just a fu�king abomination (yes, I know one can use the old cmd-arrow up to go above that, but please).

Also, the click and drag in the Finder is a huge pain. In OS9 one could simply click and drag on an icon and it would reliably select that item and move it. In OSX there is no such reliability. Often enough one clicks and drags and the item just stays put or, even worse, some other item gets selected and dragged, making me get even more grey hairs. When selecting multiple files, it only gets worse.

In column view, when moving files via dragging, when one gets to the bottom of a pane, it often takes a large amount of nudging before the pane responds and starts scrolling down. Not only this, but when one moves into a sub folder via the above method, the Finder will often suddenly shift one pane backwards, thereby defeating the purpose of one's actions.

Allowing Spring loaded dock folders would also please numerous people.
weird wabbit

proton
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by HOMBRESINIESTRO:
Perhaps they will call it MacFS?
We already had MFS (Macintosh File System). It was the native file system for Macintosh System 1-3, it was replaced in System 4 with HFS. MFS was a flat filesystem, that is it did not support folders within folders, just one level of folders at the root of your disk.

http://www.osdata.com/holistic/connect/filesys.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclop...al_file_system

How about we don't go back to MFS (MacFS)?

- proton

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 07:13 AM

I miss "My voice is my password, verify me."

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by Gavin:
We have Apache, let's use it! ...
Surely what you suggest would be a very dangerous feature? I can see many users inadvertently hosting things they don't want to.

The way .Mac works is fine, especially when you consider that most people don't leave their Macs running and connected 24/7. OK, I admit this last point sort of contradicts the first, but the principle is still valid.

As for Tiger, I'm firmly in the "Just fix the Finder and give us metadata!" camp.

biscuit

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 08:49 AM

I look forward to the million threads of every 10.4 "Tiger" build that comes out before the final release...

Tsilou B.
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by tae667:
- MSN support in iChat so Europeans can use iSight
Originally posted by Tsilou B.:
I live in Europe, I have about 30 (European - mostly German) contacts on my Fire contact list, and I don't know anyone(!) who uses MSN Messenger. So obviously MSN is not the dominant messenger throughout Europe. Saying that MSN support is needed before "Europeans can use iSight" is as absurd as if I wrote that MSN support wasn't useful at all just because I personally don't know any MSN Messenger users.
Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I wouldn't class that as a completely scientific measurement of Protocol use.
Everyone I know in the US, Europe and Asia uses MSN Messenger, and unfortunately so do I.
Of course my measurement isn't scientific. It isn't really isn't a measurement at all. But: If all 30 Europeans I want to chat with do not use MSN, but AIM or ICQ (in Windows), then there are definitely regions in Europe where people don't use MSN and that means there are (quite many) Europeans that can already use iSight.
That said, there are certainly many people in Europe (AND in Asia AND in the US AND...) who use MSN and therefore MSN support in iChat would be a good thing.

Originally posted by Rickster:
Mac OS 7.6 required a 68030 or better processor, and Mac OS 8 required an '040. Mac OS 8.5 was the first PowerPC-only release, though the 8.1 update was the first to offer significant PowerPC-only features (HFS+).
Sorry, but the historian in me is compelled to quibble . HFS+ is supported on 68040 Macs with MacOS 8.1. They just can't boot from HFS+ volumes.

Cipher13
May 5, 2004, 09:35 AM

I actually made two beautiful girls scream when I held the shift button down.
What other OS can do that?
You need a shift button to make beautiful girls scream?

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
I remember seeing discussions of embedded applications in 10.4. like iChat actually being a part of the system, and not an application. It would be controled through a system preference pane. But I'm not excited about that, it's already well integrated enough.
No. Stupid. Keep apps seperate from the system. I don't like iChat, and I don't want iChat. Let alone embedded. This is one of the things wrong with Windows (IE).

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
Here is some ideas to kick around..

Multiple desktops, customizable application menu, better previews of documents, better finder navigation for moving/copying files, slim theme for smaller screens (1024x768 is insanely hard to have 2 windows open at the same time in the finder) better textedit, mouse gestures, interactive speech commands, multiple clipboards, enhanced file sharing abilities, KDE, "float window" contextual menu option, iCal, iChat groups & better interface (current one sucks), "arrange"/clean up in contextual menu, major disk utility updates (create repair disk), more language support in Project Builder (PHP, Perl, Python, etc) optional labels below items in the dock, graphical cron scheduler.

Forget KDE though. Won't happen. Apple won't even allow themes, let alone another window manager altogether. I don't particularly care, either.

Originally posted by DougG:
One thing that almost certainly will be in is piles, since it seems like it was supposed to make the 10.3 release and didn't.

I would also like it if the installer was updated so that you could put iapps where you wanted and it wouldn't just install a new one with each upgrade.
"I'd like to welcome you all to WWDC 2004 - but firstly some bad news - Tiger has Piles, and was unable to attend..."

I live in Europe, I have about 30 (European - mostly German) contacts on my Fire contact list, and I don't know anyone(!) who uses MSN Messenger. So obviously MSN is not the dominant messenger throughout Europe. Saying that MSN support is needed before "Europeans can use iSight" is as absurd as if I wrote that MSN support wasn't useful at all just because I personally don't know any MSN Messenger users.
Obviously, you are jumping to conclusions.

I'm in Australia, and everyone I know uses either MSN or ICQ (some both).

All of my American contacts (90% + of them) use AIM. 0% use MSN. ~1% use ICQ.

Of my European contacts, most use ICQ and AIM.

This doesn't mean that's how it is... it's just how it is for me.

I wouldn't class that as a completely scientific measurement of Protocol use.

Everyone I know in the US, Europe and Asia uses MSN Messenger, and unfortunately so do I.
Again... on my MSN list, I have 12 people. All Australian. On ICQ, I have ~300, all Australian. On AIM, I have ~250, all American (one Australian).

Everyone will vary in this respect.

Originally posted by Brass:
hmmm... I wonder if they changed it from using "kill -9" to "kill" (ie, unix commands).
I doubt that. I've found, in Panther, even kill -9 doesn't work most of the time. I try force quitting; and killing; and kill -9'ing, and the processes just don't die until they're good and ready. Something else has changed.

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
People that didn't like 10.0 or 10.1 didn't like it because they didn't get to play with it.
Heh, hardly.

I played. I puked. They were pathetic (10.0 and 10.1). It's all about the standards people maintain.

Originally posted by HOMBRESINIESTRO:
Home on iPod will probably be there, too. Although I for one don't need it.

I guess they will work on File Vault even more. Perhaps you will be able to encrypt certain directories only and so on....

Other than that, they will perhaps update vpn to support certain cisco abnormalties.

What I can think of too is some kind of Rendezvous Extreme with the possibilty to restrict acces to certain users or machines only.
Home on iPod? I dunno that it's a good idea. The iPod hard drive was not designed for constant activity (nor was the iPod, for that matter... it'd get mad hot).

File Vault better get worked on. It's idiotic in it's current implementation. Yeah, let's encrypt 25 GB of mp3's! Dumb.

Originally posted by lngtones:
Why don't you just close the lid? I've been doing that for over a year now and haven't noticed any problems.
Totally different thing. He's talking about writing the RAM contents to disk, and shutting the machine off entirely. Upon boot, the RAM contents are read from the disk back into RAM, and the machine is ready to go where it left off (in more time than it takes to wake from sleep, but in less time than it takes to boot. Like sleep, it preserves your current workspace, also).

Originally posted by theolein:
Aye. The Finder needs consistency and a complete rewrite. While I like the sidebar, that is the only thing I like about it. The fact that it is a bastard mix between spacial views and column view is a pain. Not only that but the way that clicking on a sidebar icon makes that then the new root of the column view is just a fu�king abomination (yes, I know one can use the old cmd-arrow up to go above that, but please).

Also, the click and drag in the Finder is a huge pain. In OS9 one could simply click and drag on an icon and it would reliably select that item and move it. In OSX there is no such reliability. Often enough one clicks and drags and the item just stays put or, even worse, some other item gets selected and dragged, making me get even more grey hairs. When selecting multiple files, it only gets worse.

In column view, when moving files via dragging, when one gets to the bottom of a pane, it often takes a large amount of nudging before the pane responds and starts scrolling down. Not only this, but when one moves into a sub folder via the above method, the Finder will often suddenly shift one pane backwards, thereby defeating the purpose of one's actions.

Allowing Spring loaded dock folders would also please numerous people.

Especially on the last point.

Originally posted by osiris:
Okay, my 2 for Tiger:

1) Bring back keyboard shortcuts for Apple's apps, for example:
Allow "D" for Don't Save, "S" for Save... These shortcuts work for other apps,
EXCEPT Apple's. I don't get it.

2) Allow the user to turn off menu blinking. This is annoying as hell,
and a complete waste of my time. A real frickin' pet peeve o' mine.

Other than that, I've never been happier with an Apple product, so let's hope Tiger brings more goodness.
Do you mean "d", or command-d? Just clarifying.

And yeah, it's a pain in the ass that these aren't universal.

YES, kill blinking! PLEASE. I ****ING HATE it.

In addition to that, Apple REALLY needs to get consistent regarding being able to tab through buttons; sometimes you can, sometimes you can't - even within one application! Installer, for example. Check it out. Unbelievably stupid!

Kill that stupid crash reporter, too. I don't use it. I'll never use it. I want to turn the goddamn thing off.

These are my wishes. Oh, and...

Fix the Finder! It is beyond abysmal.

I'm embarrased to use that pile of crap in front of Windows users.

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 09:38 AM

Of course my measurement isn't scientific. It isn't really isn't a measurement at all. But: If all 30 Europeans I want to chat with do not use MSN, but AIM or ICQ (in Windows), then there are definitely regions in Europe where people don't use MSN and that means there are (quite many) Europeans that can already use iSight.
That said, there are certainly many people in Europe (AND in Asia AND in the US AND...) who use MSN and therefore MSN support in iChat would be a good thing.
ROLFLOL! You know the reason why they "don't have MSN" is because they also have ICQ and AIM accounts. The only ones that I know that doesn't use MSN is a handfull of coworkers (ICQ - due to network limitations) and a couple of AIM/.Mac users on my list, the rest is stricly MSN and they refuse to use anything else. I suspect we European Mac users are flexible enough to use multi protocoll IM clients, don't you?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

tae667
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 09:44 AM

Exactly. iChat needs ICQ and MSN support. I don't know anybody who is using AIM, but over 30 MSN users and about 20 ICQ users. Few of the MSN users have webcams and I'd love to videochat with them, but they doesn't even know how to install programs, so they can't install AIM for PC.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by tae667:
Exactly. iChat needs ICQ and MSN support. I don't know anybody who is using AIM, but over 30 MSN users and about 20 ICQ users. Few of the MSN users have webcams and I'd love to videochat with them, but they doesn't even know how to install programs, so they can't install AIM for PC.
I disagree with the MSN support. We shouldn't support Microsoft in their IM crusade...
I agree with ICQ considering it's the same company...

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I disagree with the MSN support. We shouldn't support Microsoft in their IM crusade...
I agree with ICQ considering it's the same company...
In what way is AIM better? Apple/iChat/.Mac is just a small fraction of the total IM users out there.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Numenor:
This is so damn annoying. I buy Panther in November and they are already expecting me to buy another OS? I don't think so....
Late this year. Settle down...
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Home on iPod? I dunno that it's a good idea. The iPod hard drive was not designed for constant activity (nor was the iPod, for that matter... it'd get mad hot).

File Vault better get worked on. It's idiotic in it's current implementation. Yeah, let's encrypt 25 GB of mp3's! Dumb.
Maybe *I* want my Mp3's encrypted.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

daydream
May 5, 2004, 10:32 AM

Put a Tiger in your tank!

I just had to I had to let that one out there

osxisfun
May 5, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Maybe *I* want my Mp3's encrypted.
Most people don't and in the mean time there is a lot unnecessary encrypting going on. But what I think what he meant was, he would like an option in filevault to select only those folders he wishes to nrypt. Currently its an all or nothing deal. I too would like this feature.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 11:26 AM

Apple can add in any feature they want (or not), but one thing I'd want them to keep at the very least is speed. I want the OS fast. The move from 10.0 all the way to 10.3 was great -- it isn't everyday that new software makes your current computer feel faster, so I'd like to keep that trend.

I'd just like file sharing to be truly innovative, robust, and reliable. The current one is functional, but its nowhere near as "easy" as I'd like it to be. Makes me think that sometimes the AppleTalk sharing of old was simpler. Other than ease of use, Windows file sharing on Panther isn't exactly what I consider the most reliable. At times I'd have to go to the Terminal and use smbclient to reliably get files over the network.

Another thing I'd like to see Apple do is make the Finder truly reliable and stable. As it is, the Finder can lock-up on me (spinning beach ball of death on canceling network copies), behave oddly (preview a QT-based file then drag-select a bunch of icons), or just restart. Its great that we no longer have to restart the Mac (as we did back in Mac OS 9.x), but the Finder is such a visible part of the environment that having it act oddly makes the system less usable.

Another thing I'd really like Apple to do: can we please, please, PLEASE, not have to restart when we apply new updates? It irks me to think that something like iTunes, which I don't consider system critical, requires a restart every time an update is released/installed. Yes, I understand about the updates to system-level frameworks and such, but does it really merit a system restart? Can it not be programmed in such a way that only the "services" are restarted? (Yes, we're pampered already as it is by Mac OS X, and we've come a long way from Mac OS 9.x -- but since we have it, we might as well do the whole nine yards).

Repair permissions -- this is something that really just boggles me. If "repair permissions" is such a "routine job" that takes place before/after an update to the system software or whatnot, why not make it part of the installation process then? After all, the optimizing stage of the installation (prebinding) takes a long enough time as it is, so why not include repair permissions there? And why do permissions need to be "repaired" anyway? Who changes them without our asking them to be changed in the first place?

Minor quibbles: Can we have the Date/Time option use several time servers instead of just one? The underlying ntpd software can be configured to do so, but the preference pane overrides this behavior by just specifying one.

Please bring back Keycaps. Its such a minor thing, I know, but I don't like having to dig through menus and whatnot just to get it up and running.

As with the others, I'm also curious to know what Apple has in store for WWDC. Panther was released not too long ago, so I doubt Tiger would be released anytime soon.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 11:53 AM

My only hope in 10.4 is for the removal of metal.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
And the move towards brushed bronze...

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:20 PM

Wonder why nobody hasn't mentioned scrolling yet? That's an issue on my machine, but I bet it will be improved as soon as I get my PB during the next months.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Wonder why nobody hasn't mentioned scrolling yet? That's an issue on my machine, but I bet it will be improved as soon as I get my PB during the next months.
Smoother scrolling would be VERY nice, but I would rather have system speed then smoother scrolling.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
This or just plain consistency. The weird mix of some applications having bruised metal (The iApps, Safari and the Finder plus a lot of Cocoa based shareware stuff) and others not, is plainly dumb and just plain bad design. Just make an API for theming! It will take a while until all the Apps accept the system themes, but eventually it will be so, and we won't have to juggle through this visual idiocy that is crrently the case (why, oh please tell me why, can bruised metal windows have edge which one can drag, a la OS9 Platinum and Aqua windows not?)
weird wabbit

proton
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 01:18 PM

Kill that stupid crash reporter, too. I don't use it. I'll never use it. I want to turn the goddamn thing off.
defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none

- proton

Kate
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 01:29 PM

Rest all assured they're working on all points posted above.
...but on different priorities than we all think I bet.

While I'm at it, I don't think that they are close to dumping some of those hundred thousand lines that are the Finder. Let alone dumping it entirely and rewrite it from scratch. While that would be a bold move, it'll cost the work of a programmer team for two years at least, no?
So that's why.

But I am hoping for a muched improved state of multithreading in the OS and the Finder and some impressive speed improvements in the bulk of it.

On the other hand, I would not bet on it. I fear more eye candy is around the corner......

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Simon X:
I miss "My voice is my password, verify me."
I don't. I remember when I first installed OS 9 and decided to try that one out. I was still in high school at the time. It went something like this:

Me: My voice is my password.

OS 9: nothing...

Me: Err, let's try it again. My voice is my password.

Me: My voice is my password.

Me: My voice... is my password.

Me: MY... VOICE... IS... MY... PASSWORD.

Me: My...

My brother (sitting on the computer next to mine) "His voice is his password!! Okay?!"

(yes, it's a repost from another thread. I still find it funny. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

austeros
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 01:54 PM

quicktime 7 - that plays everything vlc does, and is more stable.

i dont want it to become the bloatness that wmp is on the otherside, but with the rise of itunes (forcing more quicktime installs) it would be very nice to see a major quality push for quicktime

i dont like the further integration of ichat either, XP does that with msn, and its just annoying. i value being able to use the different clients, though id love to see ichat advance futher. adding msn and yahoo would be nice. id like to see more options for organizing my buddy list, tabbed windows (a la adium or gaim), but keep it independant of the os.

definately fix up filevault. nice premise, but needs alot of work (like some apps not launching)

push the g5 as much as possible. im one of those stubborn/cheap college students thats is still running my rev b (bondi) imac, built for OS8.5 that i got in high school. I can see the g4 users being bummed, but show us how much the g5 rocks (then give us a resonably priced consumer machine to take advantage of it)

oh, and fix the finder already

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 02:11 PM

Brushed metal Mail app.

Better Dock.

Tabs.

A Finder that isn't horrible.

FTP in the Finder.

Nicer Finder icons and scroll bars.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Brushed metal Mail app.
Christ no. I already have to take the metal out of safari, I'd rather not have to do the same with Mail...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 03:02 PM

I doubt that. I've found, in Panther, even kill -9 doesn't work most of the time. I try force quitting; and killing; and kill -9'ing, and the processes just don't die until they're good and ready. Something else has changed.[/B]
I really really wish they'd fix that :'(
Aloha

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 03:10 PM

Things that would make me piss my pants

QuickTime 7 - (as previously stated) with all the elements of VLC incorporated

Home Theater - New iApp that will record HD TV signals to your Mac

Home Theater Device - Box that you can connect via firewire that will stream HD TV, Dolby Digital to a home stereo system.

Finder - Blazing Fast

Headless eMac - OK, not Tiger, but you see where I'm going

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
errr... they're still actually writing 10.4 Tiger. They won't actually be expecting you to buy it for about another 6 months. And even then, guess what? You don't have to! 10.3 will not suddenly break, because 10.4 is available
Well, that's only partially true. Apple might force users to upgrade to 10.4 if they want the capability of upgrading any other Apple application such as is the current situation with Safari and iChatAV.

It's this <i>de facto</i> co-mingling of the OS and applications that can put people off and is certainly one reason why most participants here have little taste for Windows.

As for Finder upgrades, I like the current dual capability to act spatially and as a file browser. I suppose this is where I differ from John Siracusa and his very well thought out comments in Ars Technica. It's just that Apple needs to clean up and separate those capabilities. For instance; double-click a drive icon on the Desktop and get a fully spatial file Finder window just as in OS 9. Single-click the Finder icon in the Dock and get a file browser just like the current Column View. Where the current concept falls down (and clearly pointed out by Siracusa) is this bad idea of effectively toggling between the two metaphores/modes. In other words, remove the capability to morph Icon and List views into Column views (and vice versa). That's the real culprit behind all of these goofy issues like multiple icons for the same file, Finder windows moving around each time their opened, etc.

Remove that view-morphing nonsense and I'm certain that 90% of these Finder incongruities that caused people to pine for the OS 9 Finder will suddenly go away.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by hudson1:
Well, that's only partially true. Apple might force users to upgrade to 10.4 if they want the capability of upgrading any other Apple application such as is the current situation with Safari and iChatAV.

It's this <i>de facto</i> co-mingling of the OS and applications that can put people off and is certainly one reason why most participants here have little taste for Windows.

As for Finder upgrades, I like the current dual capability to act spatially and as a file browser. I suppose this is where I differ from John Siracusa and his very well thought out comments in Ars Technica. It's just that Apple needs to clean up and separate those capabilities. For instance; double-click a drive icon on the Desktop and get a fully spatial file Finder window just as in OS 9. Single-click the Finder icon in the Dock and get a file browser just like the current Column View. Where the current concept falls down (and clearly pointed out by Siracusa) is this bad idea of effectively toggling between the two metaphores/modes. In other words, remove the capability to morph Icon and List views into Column views (and vice versa). That's the real culprit behind all of these goofy issues like multiple icons for the same file, Finder windows moving around each time their opened, etc.

Remove that view-morphing nonsense and I'm certain that 90% of these Finder incongruities that caused people to pine for the OS 9 Finder will suddenly go away.
While Windows got in trouble over embedding the browser in to the OS, they are going to continue to do it. Or they will walk the line...

I'm here because I like using a logical OS. Not because I hate M$.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 03:42 PM

Real time everything! No waiting for apps to launch, no render times, no export times - real time everything!

But it won't happen on my lowly 1Ghz G4

Forum Links
Forum Rules