Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Aah!! I knew it!! I KNEW NBC would try to milk Friends a little more!

Aah!! I knew it!! I KNEW NBC would try to milk Friends a little more! (Page 2)
WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by cpt kangarooski:
Star Trek spinoffs: Star Trek: The Animated Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, and Star Trek: Enterprise.

All in the Family spinoffs: Archie Bunker's Place, Maude, Good Times, The Jeffersons, Checking In, Gloria, and 704 Hauser.

Love, American Style spinoffs: Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Blanski's Beauties, Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi, and Out of the Blue.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show spinoffs: Rhoda, Phyllis, the Betty White Show, and Lou Grant.

Make Room for Daddy spinoffs: The Andy Griffith Show, Mayberry RFD, Gomer Pyle USMC, and Make Room for Granddaddy.

Law and Order spinoffs: Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, Law and Order: Criminal Intent, the upcoming Law and Order: Trial by Jury, and the way NBC handles this, probably one for every day of the week and two on Sunday, soon.
You forgot:

CSI spinoffs: CSI Miami, and the upcoming CSI New York.

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 03:52 AM

Joey:

"Whoa! A girl! Whoa!"

/Blossom rocked.

pyramids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 04:54 AM

Soap gave us Benson
Dallas gave us a plethora of clones, some of them spinoffs (though I have never seen any of any of them)
So, what? The post wasn't good enough, you want something here?!?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 10:10 PM

Some of the "spinoffs" mentioned aren't spinoffs at all - they were planned series that tried to capitalize on the popularity of another show, so a story line was weaved into the popular show.

Melrose Place was one such show. I believe "Laverne and Shirley" and "Mork and Mindy" were others. In Melrose's case, they just had that Jake dude do some work on 90210's Kelly and her place for a few weeks prior to the Melrose premiere, or something of the sort.

Perhaps the definition of "spinoff" includes those. But I traditionally consider a true spinoff as one that uses a character who spent at least a season or two on the popular show, not just a few episodes.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
Other than Cheers, what shows have had spin-offs? By the by Frasier was an excellent show, it was a sit-com I actually wanted to watch most of the time.
Grange Hill had Tuckers Luck.

That was great.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
Melrose Place was a spinoff of Beverly Hills 90210 but I figure everyone here already knew that.
yeah, so was models inc. freakin spelling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules