Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > weird burning noises...

weird burning noises...
whop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 04:40 PM

everytime i burn a cd with itunes on my 15" pb it will burn without any problems, but afterwards it won't eject and it makes noises for a good 15-20minutes, lots of clicking and scuffling sounds. the cd shows up on the desktop, and when i click it nothing is in it. usually i ened up getting frustrated and just restarting and the disk pops out, but it won't work.

whop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 04:48 PM

also, another problem with it....when i try to eject it it will give me a beachball while im in finder, and its bascially frozen,but i can use all other apps.

eventually, because of the beachball i have to restart.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 04:42 PM

Hmm.

Again I say, hmm.

What machine are you using (the Titanium or the Aluminum)? What OS? Have you successfully burned CDs with iTunes before? Can you successfully burn a CD in the Finder? Do you have AppleCare?

The most likely thing is that your CD-RW drive itself is kaput. There are other potential reasons - several bad CDs in a row, a dirty lens on the CD drive, software problems, firmware problems, unholy curses...

BTW, how did you restart? Using the Cmd-Ctrl-Pwr trio? Or going to another program than the Finder and choosing Restart from the Apple menu? Holding down the Power key for five seconds? Do you know that you can Quit the Finder (which will start again; just the app, not the whole computer) using the Force Quit pane?

Finder will have difficulty ejecting while iTunes is using the disc. Is iTunes frozen as well?

Now, this is a lot of questions. Most of fixing problems just involves going through all the possible situations, and the answer appears without mucch sweat.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules