Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > sending files on MSN messenger

sending files on MSN messenger
jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 11:37 PM

Hello everyone,
My problem is that I want to send a jpeg to someone using MSN messenger. When I try to send the files the transfer will not occur. Now this same person I sent a few files to last week now this week I can not do it. At first I thought well maybe, I need to upgrade the messenger. I am using version 4 now. I had the previous version before and no go. What has happens when last week I could send a file on MSN messenger and now this week I can not?

adam1185
May 5, 2004, 08:03 PM

Hey

I'm tyring to send a file to my friends over msn too and it fails ...ahh its really annoying

We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers.

My osx firewall is off so that shouldnt be the problem. maybe its my router firewall but i doubt it

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by adam1185:

My osx firewall is off so that shouldnt be the problem. maybe its my router firewall but i doubt it
It's probably your router. MS says this:

Open as many TCP ports as you can between 6891 and 6900.

I can't link to that specific support site, you can look it up yourself if you like.

If Messenger can't connect through these ports, it sends everything through port 80, which MS says won't work for file transfers.

adam1185
May 5, 2004, 09:52 PM

well i did everything you said with the ports on my router...attempted to send a file and it failed miserably...sooo I just turned off the firewall altogether and I still can't send files so it must have soemthing to do with msn messenger for the mac becasue I can go downstairs and send files from my pc.

jstein  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 11:34 PM

well i did everything you said with the ports on my router...attempted to send a file and it failed miserably...sooo I just turned off the firewall altogether and I still can't send files so it must have soemthing to do with msn messenger for the mac becasue I can go downstairs and send files from my pc.

Samething here with me... and as I said earlier last week everything was fine.....

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 02:47 PM

Adding my "me too" here!

Very annoying....
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 05:05 PM

Even if you disable your firewall, the router still does NAT, which will screw up your file transfers. Are you sure you forwarded the right ports the IP of the computer you are using?

adam1185
May 6, 2004, 08:13 PM

Hey i'm fairly sure I'm doing it right. heres a screenshot of my router setup with hte port forwarding. The ip of my mac is the 202 one but I put it on all 3 ip's just to be safe

http://members.shaw.ca/adam11855/Picture1.jpg

proton
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 12:10 AM

Hey i'm fairly sure I'm doing it right. heres a screenshot of my router setup with hte port forwarding. The ip of my mac is the 202 one but I put it on all 3 ip's just to be safe

http://members.shaw.ca/adam11855/Picture1.jpg
That won't work. You should only forward to the machine you're using. I'm surprised your router will let you even set that up, that's so broken it's not funny.

- proton

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by proton:
That won't work. You should only forward to the machine you're using. I'm surprised your router will let you even set that up, that's so broken it's not funny.

- proton
I was wondering the same thing. My router (GVC) will let me forward the same ports to as many computers as I want. It didn't sound right.

adam1185
May 8, 2004, 11:14 PM

well you guys have me really confused now...is it set up right or not?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 02:25 AM

well you guys have me really confused now...is it set up right or not?
They are saying wrong-- try it with just 202 in there and delete the others.

adam1185
May 9, 2004, 05:41 PM

well, I did that but still no luck arrrrgh

Forum Links
Forum Rules