Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB rev. C and ACD 20" (or other external displays)

12" PB rev. C and ACD 20" (or other external displays)
TiUser
May 9, 2004, 11:39 AM

Hi, does the increase in video ram from 32 to 64 make significant difference in using the PowerBook with external displays such as the ACD 20"? For those of you using the 12" with an external display in clamshell mode, is heat a problem? Does the fan come on most of the time? I am thinking about making the switch from my AL 15" to a 12" + external display setup, but am wary about the heat issue and the fan noise. Any comments/suggestions? TIA.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 07:48 PM

Stick with the 15", the 12" makes fan noise when used with another display. The 64MB of VRAM makes a big difference in games and expose, unless you shut down your PB display and only use your external monitor.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MoontaMacman
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 03:04 AM

It is probably just me but I bought the adapters and such to use an external 17" LCD with my 12" Powerbook and I sent it back within a week-

I could not come to grips with working two screens at a time --I know this is a personal failing but to my mind it is NOT as easy as often suggested- my mouse was everywhere

and aesthetically I could not handle the octopus of huge and ugly cable and power packs etc needed to connect the relatively petite 12" to the screen - I am sure they weighed far more

seemed to me whenever I looked at the adverts etc it was so simple and neat - the reality was anything but attractive or simple - I know there will be many out there who disagree , that is OK - just might I suggest you see the actual devices in use before committing , you may be happy with it -I was not and my wife was definitely not

Ron
http://home.iprimus.com.au/alenka_ron

Forum Links
Forum Rules