Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lets Talk TIGER......

Lets Talk TIGER...... (Page 6)
plamparello
May 7, 2004, 04:10 PM

The one thing I would like is:

Tab browsing that you can actually TAB THROUGH in Safari (or finder for that matter) as in adium (ie. pressing apple + left or right arrow to move throught)

Other than that I can not think of much stuff that I would like added but apple will have to think of some stuff for people to buy this recent update.

When panther came out there were some huge features like the new finder, ichat AV, xcode, expose as well with a lot of other BIG things. I just figure for them to release another update like this they must have somethign huge up their sleve.
plamparello

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by plamparello:
The one thing I would like is:

Tab browsing that you can actually TAB THROUGH in Safari (or finder for that matter) as in adium (ie. pressing apple + left or right arrow to move throught)
COMMAND-SHIFT-LEFT/RIGHT
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

sooner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
They need to get off this cat-naming kick. I'm sure that some people think that an OS named after a cat will never do what they want it to, and would barely tolerate their existence.

How about Husky? Rottweiler? Pit Bull? There are lots of ferocious names that would be much better.

And if you want to go a little calmer? How about Pug? Terrier? I think Beagle would be a good name for an OS. Steve could get Snoopy as a spokesman!

As it is, with a name like "Tiger" all Steve can get to be a spokesman is a little-known hack golfer. Golf? Sheesh, who wants to have your product sponsored by a golfer?

... OK, I'll stop now...
I think feline names are much better than canine names for an OS. The cat is a much more nimble and lethal hunting machine. And the Mac OS is all about fines and precision, two main qualities of cats. And from Apple's naming scheme, I expect only one more major cat named release after Tiger: Lion. Possibly Cheeta before Lion, but I would personally put Cheeta before Tiger. In terms of predatory effectiveness I would consider the tiger to be more dangerous than the lion.

However, I'll take 'Tiger' over 'Longhorn' any day! But maybe that's cause I'm a Sooner...

heavyboots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by galarneau:
I'd like to see a global preference for that damn sidebar. I mean, on a 12" iBook screen, having every friggin window have a sidebar that is as wide as the longest named item is a pain in the arse.

I just like having a simple icon in the sidebar, with no text.

Even better, just give me back my regular 10.2 finder behavior. I don't like the brushed metal for my windows.

You can almost get there by clicking the 'pill' widget in the upper right of the finder windows, but then all the subsequent windows open in new windows, which is a pain. Again, global preferences would be nice.
Amen! This gets me annoyed working on a 21" CRT, can imagine how nuts it must make 12" 'book users... although I must say I got used to the whole brushed metal shelf thing a lot faster than I thought I would. For one thing, you can now drag a window by any edge again, like OS 9.

meteparozzi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
They wrote it in Carbon (PowerPlant, even!) to show Adobe and the other major developers that Carbon wasn't the red-headed stepchild of Mac OS X frameworks.

It would be nice to see them move beyond carbon in their big three: Finder, iTunes and Quicktime.

The main reason is that then at least we could have some kind of control over system-wide metalifizedness.

I just can't get over how ungainly and wasteful the metal windows are... and how much slower metal apps run than non-metal apps, even when you just switch a metal to non-metal with metalifizer....

Just a thought

proton
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by sooner:
I think feline names are much better than canine names for an OS. The cat is a much more nimble and lethal hunting machine. And the Mac OS is all about fines and precision, two main qualities of cats. And from Apple's naming scheme, I expect only one more major cat named release after Tiger: Lion. Possibly Cheeta before Lion, but I would personally put Cheeta before Tiger. In terms of predatory effectiveness I would consider the tiger to be more dangerous than the lion.
We've already had Cheetah.

Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah
Mac OS X 10.1 Puma
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

- proton

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
COMMAND-SHIFT-LEFT/RIGHT
Yeah, but how hard is that when you've got your wank in one hand?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 03:09 AM

Opera's tab switching is done using Option-Tab, which is nice because you can use one hand to do that, and jump to a particular tab in the process. Safari should have something like that as well. Otherwise, Command-` is what you can use to switch between windows (though I prefer having tabs myself).

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 03:12 AM

All I want is iDocument, which I hope metadata will render irrelevant.

Cheers
Scott

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 03:21 AM

Metadata and stuff would be awesome, but I would shell out money right now if they would just fix the godforsaken Finder. The icon glitches, the networking, AFP's general crappiness (it should NOT take 8 seconds to list a 20-item folder over full signal AirPort Extreme between two G4s), the crashes when you try to move images with icon previews, the putting-icons-under-the-dock bug, WebDAV still sucks....so much stuff. Oh, and FTP. Is that just an afterthought or what?

Seriously, the 10.3 Finder feels like a hack. I don't care if Tiger has any new features... I just want something that works solid.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by sooner:

However, I'll take 'Tiger' over 'Longhorn' any day! But maybe that's cause I'm a Sooner...
Only Lion? There are numerous other big cats still out there. Leopard (Arguably the most intelligent of them all, really sly and dangerous creature), Cougar, Snow Leopard and Lynx spring to mind.
weird wabbit

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I actually made two beautiful girls scream when I held the shift button down.
What other OS can do that?
My wife's delight is the cube rotating effect of fast user switching.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
They need to get off this cat-naming kick. I'm sure that some people think that an OS named after a cat will never do what they want it to, and would barely tolerate their existence.
True. After Tiger, it will be Lion and that being the proverbial king feline, they'll be out of names unless they reset and go back to let's say...calico.

I guess they're trying not to get to OS X Deity too quickly heh.

TRF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 11:18 AM

Here is something that should be integrated.

FONT MANAGEMENT - And I'm not talking about that THING they pulled in Panther. Make it a priority, and kill off the 3rd party developers. This is something that the OS should handle, and well. [/B][/QUOTE]

PREACH IT BRATHA!

I have NEVER been so confused over fonts in my life!! I am using a font utility also! Still confused. I miss the days of OS9 and earlier when a simple drag and drop or peek inside the FONTS folder (you always knew where it was, and what was in it) was all that was required.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 11:31 AM

Wow.

Reading this entire thread, I noticed all the feature requsts are really bug fixes and maturation of existing technology. I think this speaks volumes - people must be pretty happy with panther to start nit-picking. Its a damn useable OS.

Nothing mentioned so far would make me shell out another $129 - and I have every other time - even bought the PB.

What about INNOVATIVE, unique features? No one is leaving windows for "a cocoa finder" - though we might appreciate it.

Someone earlier mentioned home theater integration - As far as pushing the digital hub - this is where it needs to go. Don't settle for being one step ahead - leapfrog longhorn NOW.
Another iApp perhaps to deal with TV/movies, etc?

Metadata is good, but I think now that Panther is fast and useable, we need to focus on the NEW OSX user.

My dad just bought a 20" iMac - and let me tell you for the average non-tech person the OS is NOT very intuitive. He had no idea where to find anything.

Though I would NEVER assert that the visual abomination that is XP should be where the mac goes, have you noticed how the left hand column in XP asks you plainly "what do you want to do with this file?" Again, I DON'T think OSX should go this way, esp how the left column repeatedly changes/resizes as you move around - awful. But some kind of active help/guide (perhaps you could enable/disable) would be good for newbies.

Try thinking of paradigm shifts, not bug fixes/tweaks for power users. Wake up the mac, and a dialog box says "what do you want to do now?" With options like email, web surf, write a paper, looks at photos, etc...I don't know I am just rambling...

Until I see the jaw-dropping wow that both jaguar and pather gave me, I don't think I'll buy Tiger.

Though I would really like session burning of CDs in the finder (i know disk utility can do it). Have been emailing apple about that for a WHILE...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 12:10 PM

In teaching software courses I have noticed that people get confused when they don't read. People are so busy looking for the computer to just magically know what they want it to do instead of reading the screen. I've seen completely new computer users take 5 minutes to learn that a click on "ok" makes a box go away, and so they begin clicking on "ok" like madmen, just so they don't have to read and therefore cause the computer to do magical "huh, why'd that happen?" type things.

It's a quick-fix problem. Web developpers have to put information they want read in the first screen, because people will not scroll most of the time. Takes too long, a burger is served in less time?

Forum administrators know this pyschology too. They can make a message forum very small with only 3 sections, and the last 2 sections no matter how topic relevant they are, will be ignored 90% of the time and whatever is the first forum, no matter what its topic, will becomes the catch-all just because it's on top.

But all that aside, new computer users don't always catch on to organization. Either their file folders at home aren't well sorted, or they've got 1/4" screws mixed in with their 1/8" in their workshop, or they just assume that because a computer is supposed to "do stuff" it frees them up to forget everything they know about organization. Therefore, when OS X first starts up and there's a home folder showing all "sections" for files to go into "Documents", "Music" and so on, it doesn't click in their heads to decide to try to keep relevant things in those containers.

With OS X, the left pane says "Applications". If someone wants to run an application, you'd think that word over there on the left would have something to do with applications? The letters match up. But I do agree that there is very little indication visually as to how a copy or move is executed. Those functions are tucked away in the "edit" menu and although I'm experienced with computers, I think it should be in the File menu since it's a File level operation and not a Content level one. Obviously there's the whole drag-n-drop paradigm but that hand-mouse coordination thing is tricky!

Of course, the #1 thing that stops new computer users brains from reading/working, is fear. Fear will automatically halt creativity, hindering putting 1 and 2 together, because the fear makes any NEW thought a risk and therefore, avoidable. So they sit there repeating, "I don't get it" instead of trying to get it.

I also find that when we say, "OS X is so much easier to use!" that's because we know experientially what it's like to use a computer using "older" methods we thought we liked only to realize we hated 'em once we had it better. We have the relativity informing our opinion and praise for OS X. A new user doesn't have prior experience so it's all harder than walking.

rphtechnology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 12:36 PM

I agree with you darcybaston! I finally have the chance to move my co-workers to OS X and I have been noticing the same things as you. Although I explain how the folder system is setup, it seems they all go back to their old ways of storing documents in the hard drive's root directory, not being able to find where the "Applications" are, etc, etc. It does seem that they just don't read the text! I guess OS X is just too beautiful.

faragbre967
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Its going to have the only thing that really matters: A vicious-animal name.
Ya, this better be a killer OS.

bkendig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 01:35 PM

I want InputSprockets.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm guessing it's going to have a TON of handicap accessible features now built in to the OS (a BIG thing for schools).

I think it's going to embrace the G5 - (Apple will be pushing "Optimized for the G5" )

Eye candy, eye candy, eye candy...

PLEASE FIX THE FINDER...
I don't know about the rest of you, but on my two systems (work/home) the finder is less reliable then 10.2. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but annoying at times.

Improved networking seems to be a reoccurring theme.

ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) client built in.

Improved responsiveness. I realize the OS is faster then OS 9, but it doesn't "feel" as fast at times. I would hope that Apple would address this.
key word optimized and bamn g5 laptop will be out. perfect marketing plain for apple. people see the 10.4 being fully 64 bit aware now takes advantage and gives u what... a 40% increase just because its optomized. they steve will say all the things about 64bit cpu and what it can do then he will go " theres one more thing..... a 64 bit laptop to accomidate a 64bit os. introducing the new powerbook g5." something like that. and ever one will cheer and then the market share will be 3% vs 2% since the price drop of the ibook will happen again based on this. and oct is the date it would be out. Marketing wise it would make scence to double it just like when panther came out the new store opened in san diego saved them a trouble to do 2 celebrations.

Sven G
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 03:19 PM

Maybe it has already been said, but, as it also was debated in another thread, support for CD/DVD packet-writing (see also Mount Rainier) in the Finder, Disk Utility, etc. would be a very good thing to have as a built-in option in Tiger: unlikely, but who knows...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

richardb
May 8, 2004, 04:33 PM

I agree with LeeG above.

It's time for a leap forward - not just another few tweaks to the Finder. Longhorn is around the corner and another Panther-like upgrade won't do.

I'd settle for nothing less than:

* iDocument - either as an iApp or inside the Finder. Anything that improves my everyday work by sorting all those e-mails, docs, appointmenst etc by project is much welcomed.

* Take the OS X user experience to the next level with Apple's take on Project Looking Glass. Some of you conservative folks don't like this stuff, but reality isn't 2D - and neither should the Desktop be!
http://webcast-east.sun.com/archives...312_forjds.mov
(I love that Put Away feature! It's a bit like Windowshade.)

* And while Apple's at it - please fix Mail no to mess up long URLs when sent to PC Outlook users. Also, make OS X remember the desktop pic when changing external displays.
Powerbook G4 1.2 Ghz, 1 Gb.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 05:34 PM

I know the topic was covered in the earlier pages of this thread... but I would like to add my 2� on the topic of Font Management.

I have purchased & tested Suitcase and FontAgent Pro and they BOTH have a lot to be desired in a professional graphics environment when dealing with the latest design apps., auto activation, sharing across a network, organizing, managing and incorporating SYSTEM fonts without mucking-up system views or core applications, etc...

We are currently using (to my disliking) FontAgent Pro at work and its current iteration of auto activation does not work... I need to quit my design app(s) and relaunch after enabling a font... system fonts get "F'ed-up"... like the numerals in iCal in the dock are shifted up because the system sees another "Helvetica" it doesn't like (or something).

Not all fonts that are active and available... are available to ALL APPLICATIONS...!!! Why would a font show-up in FAP... Show-up in Photoshop & Illustrator... yet NOT in QXP...???

Font management right now in OSX is an abortion. For the casual user... this is a non-issue... for us trying to manage over 3,000 fonts dynamically across a network and make sure all designers have access to all fonts equally... *NIGHTMARE*

*Sigh*

We either need a MUCH more robust and powerfull font management tool from Apple... or these 3rd-party developers need to get on-the-ball and offer-up something more USABLE for us font-heavy design shops...!!!

Mooga2
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 06:36 PM

As a 12-hour per day user of MacOS X, my wish list:

Menus that don't blink three times. We're not total morons, we do realize what we clicked without the constant reminder, reminder, reminder.

Windows without spring-open animations - just like when you click on the Finder in the dock. The open-folder animation was cool the first time I saw it... and only the first time.

Built-in FTP. How hard could this be to implement? Something with iDisk functionality, but for a professional web server.

Networking that doesn't hang your computer. Especially when your doofy friend decides to sleep his computer and you're still connected to him. How many minutes does it take for the Finder to figure out that he's not there anymore? I'm not running at 2GHz, and it only takes me half a second!

(Note that it really takes about four to five minutes. The Finder can be such a liar sometimes!).

Two types of user capabilities - one for doofs and one for superusers. I would like to have the option of being a superuser and not having to type in my password every time I want to install an upgrade, or install software. I did log into my computer, why do I need to keep reminding it my password - talk about a Windows-world dialogue box for Macs. If I were in a paranoid environment, I could always choose to turn doof capability on. That would be cool.

(I think the Apple just likes to keep a dialogue between people and computer. My password is 111 by the way, so if anyone breaks in and starts messing my computer up, make sure and install the latest updates).

Oh yea, last one - ability to remove preview from the column view. You know how you can find your files in column view. With the preview window as it is, I can see one pretty icon and about two directories. Ummm... yea, not so handy all the time. It would be way more handy if I could move my document three directory levels without having to scroll. That is the pinnacle of handiness.

http://www.computercontrolled.net/~r...acnn/handy.jpg
All inline images must be no more than 480 pixels wide. -- tooki
That's about it. Otherwise, it's a fine-tuned OS.

Later all,
- Moo!
( Last edited by tooki; Jun 2, 2004 at 01:26 PM. )

Macola
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Mooga2:

Oh yea, last one - ability to remove preview from the column view. You know how you can find your files in column view. With the preview window as it is, I can see one pretty icon and about two directories. Ummm... yea, not so handy all the time. It would be way more handy if I could move my document three directory levels without having to scroll. That is the pinnacle of handiness.

[/B]
You can do that now--go to "View Options" in any Finder window and uncheck the "Show preview icon" box.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
You can do that now--go to "View Options" in any Finder window and uncheck the "Show preview icon" box.
That just stops the Finder from making previews of images in icon view.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
That just stops the Finder from making previews of images in icon view.
No, what he means is while in column view choose view options and then uncheck 'show preview column'. I'm pretty sure this has been available since 10.1, at least with the help of tinkertool.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 07:42 PM

Menus that don't blink three times. We're not total morons, we do realize what we clicked without the constant reminder, reminder, reminder.
That has nothing to do with morons. That's usability. It takes 1/3 second maybe. What would you do in that time anyway?
Windows without spring-open animations - just like when you click on the Finder in the dock. The open-folder animation was cool the first time I saw it... and only the first time.
The Finder doesn't do that when I click it in the Dock. The folder animation improves usability since it shows where a folder comes from. It's sort of broken since the Finder is not spatial.
Built-in FTP. How hard could this be to implement? Something with iDisk functionality, but for a professional web server.
The Finder has read-only FTP support built in.
Two types of user capabilities - one for doofs and one for superusers. I would like to have the option of being a superuser and not having to type in my password every time I want to install an upgrade, or install software. I did log into my computer, why do I need to keep reminding it my password - talk about a Windows-world dialogue box for Macs. If I were in a paranoid environment, I could always choose to turn doof capability on. That would be cool.
That's for your own safety. You don't want dialers or other crap be installed deep down into your system without your approval, do you? Why don't you simply log in as root then?
Oh yea, last one - ability to remove preview from the column view.
You can already turn off preview in column view.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Mooga2
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Marcola:
Whoa, thanks man! * Virtual high five here * . You rock!

Originally posted by Developer:
That has nothing to do with morons. That's usability. It takes 1/3 second maybe. What would you do in that time anyway?
I would spend that extra time explaining my post to Developer... psyche! MacAddict had an article on this awhile ago, when OS9 was a slow dawg running on 6X00, 7X00, 8X00 machines. Some of their suggestions were as simple as turning off menu blinking in the General Panel. I too was skeptical, but it did feel much faster. And as you may have read in the forums, the feeling is that this OS isn't the most responsive.

The Finder doesn't do that when I click it in the Dock. The folder animation improves usability since it shows where a folder comes from. It's sort of broken since the Finder is not spatial.
Again, responsiveness is the heart here. I have never felt utterly confused when clicking the dock icon and bringing up a new window, and it would be nice if this were a system-wide option.

The Finder has read-only FTP support built in.
When have you spent money on CD-R media that had read-only support? Was it useful?

That's for your own safety. You don't want dialers or other crap be installed deep down into your system without your approval, do you? Why don't you simply log in as root then?
I am contemplating writing into Apple and suggesting a hardhat and a yellow vest when sitting at my computer. j/k.

In the scheme of installing crap, I feel that I have already approved everything.
1) Logged in as myself with my own password.
2) I have double-clicked on the installer.
3) I have agreed to the terms and agreements.
4) Plus, I have agreed and chosen to go ahead and install that crap on my system.
5) Then, I need to validate my password again.

I can see the usefulness in a business environment. However, it would be nice if (after login) this was a master option. I have logged in as the root user, and it does not remove all of the password requirements.

Honestly, Developer - I don't intend to start a childish internet war of words, it just seems so menial. Though I do think your post was more aimed at dismissing ideas than understanding them.

later on!
- Moo!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 09:48 PM

How about a dock you can off and on.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ChillieMac
May 9, 2004, 02:49 AM

New Features:
� Metadata that is like the BeOS and iTunes mix (MUST be fast and not the pain indexing our hard drives are now)
� Support for simple cd and dvd burning at the FINDER level for all shipping burners! Apple seems to do a great job with digital camera support, why not burners...I understand why iDVD might not do everything on 3rd party drives, but basic data ad music burning should be built in

� FOR NEW USERS: When getting a new Mac or installing Tiger, ask users compuer using experience...New, Switchers from PC, and Mac...this would, for new users make a different FINDEr experience that coaches them along

Fixes/Revises:
� FINDER Windows: My take on metal...go back to the metal for Quicktime and other MEDIA PLAYERS/EDITORS ONLY, slim ALL windows down to bare edges as default with the pill widget offering 2 or 3 options that make it more plump for users that want it.
Allow for small icons, icons only etc. as Mail does.

� IMMEDIATE FINDER refreshes when files are added, deleted or revsied

� Make TRASH searchable when everywhere is selected ina Finder search box

� 256 charactewr file names for ALL APLCATIONS

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 03:21 AM

I would like to have the option of being a superuser and not having to type in my password every time I want to install an upgrade, or install software. I did log into my computer, why do I need to keep reminding it my password - talk about a Windows-world dialogue box for Macs.
The idea is to alert you whenever some app is going to put files in /System or one of the other restricted directories. It's a feature of the core of the OS - if any app wants to write to such places, it has to prompt you for your password. The only way around this would be to make the Installer a setuid-root app, which would not be a good idea - apart from being very annoying by making it impossible to move the app in the Finder, it would almost certainly open the door for exploits. If you want Windows-level security, by all means, implement this. But beware that you'd have to make a fundamental change to the way UNIX works (again, unless you setuid the app).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

krove
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by ChillieMac:
� 256 charactewr file names for ALL APLCATIONS
This bug/inconsistency is not really a function of the operating system but rather the old Carbon apps like Microsoft Office that simply have not rewritten the code for opening/saving files that uses OS X's new long-file name schema. Sucks, but don't write Apple, write the companies that produce the old software. (I have.)

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 05:34 AM

In the scheme of installing crap, I feel that I have already approved everything.
1) Logged in as myself with my own password.
2) I have double-clicked on the installer.
3) I have agreed to the terms and agreements.
4) Plus, I have agreed and chosen to go ahead and install that crap on my system.
5) Then, I need to validate my password again.

I can see the usefulness in a business environment. However, it would be nice if (after login) this was a master option. I have logged in as the root user, and it does not remove all of the password requirements.
Not only the Installer has to authenticate to install stuff, any application has to. I assume you wouldn't want a dialer or trojan install stuff deep into the System without your permission.
But if you want to, why don't you log in as root?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

ZOM 77
May 9, 2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
My last 2 cents worth. Of course we all want an even speedier OS. I would like for Apple's Tiger to share files over Firewire without having to use Target disk Mode. Just plug the 2 Macs together like using ethernet but with Firewire and both computers recognize each other without having to shut down and start up in Target Disk mode.

u can do that in panther,
goto sys prefs, network, and configure network ports,
add firewire, its a bit tricky , but its doable ...

they just need to make it easier . . .

or get us 400mbs wireless : )
- motech

http://homepage.mac.com/motech

ZOM 77
May 9, 2004, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
The operating system will be useable at 16mb but will be "speedy" at 32 mb. This will encourage people to replace their old macs with new one's. What a concept!

This is what i want for Tiger but probably won't happen:

1) Improved gaming support

that's about it

get a playstation
- motech

ZOM 77
May 9, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
I know the topic was covered in the earlier pages of this thread... but I would like to add my 2� on the topic of Font Management.

I have purchased & tested Suitcase and FontAgent Pro and they BOTH have a lot to be desired in a professional graphics environment when dealing with the latest design apps., auto activation, sharing across a network, organizing, managing and incorporating SYSTEM fonts without mucking-up system views or core applications, etc...

We are currently using (to my disliking) FontAgent Pro at work and its current iteration of auto activation does not work... I need to quit my design app(s) and relaunch after enabling a font... system fonts get "F'ed-up"... like the numerals in iCal in the dock are shifted up because the system sees another "Helvetica" it doesn't like (or something).

Not all fonts that are active and available... are available to ALL APPLICATIONS...!!! Why would a font show-up in FAP... Show-up in Photoshop & Illustrator... yet NOT in QXP...???

Font management right now in OSX is an abortion. For the casual user... this is a non-issue... for us trying to manage over 3,000 fonts dynamically across a network and make sure all designers have access to all fonts equally... *NIGHTMARE*

*Sigh*

We either need a MUCH more robust and powerfull font management tool from Apple... or these 3rd-party developers need to get on-the-ball and offer-up something more USABLE for us font-heavy design shops...!!!

cause QXP sucks!

i say we all boycott those quark bastards . . . worst app ever!
- motech

LightWaver-67
Senior User
May 9, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by ZOM 77:
cause QXP sucks!

This is hardly the thread to revive "QXP Debates"... but let me just say that although I agree that QXP has it's numerous shortcomings, we are locked in to using it at work. There's just no-way to easily migrate to ID smoothly and without alienating our THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of legacy files & jobs archived that use(d) QXP... our vendors accept QXP and not ID, etc...

So... having said that... some of us NEED to use QXP and would love to have Apple nail-down a font management solution that works rock-solid, is flexible and allows ALL applications to equally utilize available fonts.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by ZOM 77:
cause QXP sucks!

Now this is exactly the kind of thing that makes you ZOM 77 look like an ass. And makes all ID users seem like sniveling retards (which they are not - I'm just saying)

Your 'QXP' sucks line has nothing to do with how good or bad QXP is. You just offer you meaningless and ungrounded opinion. Worth a pair of dingo's kidneys.

Then the solidarity Coke-Cola 'we are the world' line you made: "i say we all boycott.."
That isn't going to happen because your premise is wrong. QXP is not the worst app ever , in fact it is very powerful, versatile and fast. That makes it a good app. Many many many apps are far worse.

Stop wasting our time and go troll somewhere else please
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ZOM 77
May 9, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Now this is exactly the kind of thing that makes you ZOM 77 look like an ass. And makes all ID users seem like sniveling retards (which they are not - I'm just saying)

Your 'QXP' sucks line has nothing to do with how good or bad QXP is. You just offer you meaningless and ungrounded opinion. Worth a pair of dingo's kidneys.

Then the solidarity Coke-Cola 'we are the world' line you made: "i say we all boycott.."
That isn't going to happen because your premise is wrong. QXP is not the worst app ever , in fact it is very powerful, versatile and fast. That makes it a good app. Many many many apps are far worse.

Stop wasting our time and go troll somewhere else please

let me revise that then,
worst company ever ,

they are also way too late with updates,
they dont offer quark 4 exporting from quark 6 forcing users in to a corner,
they are hardly innovative,

and all they make is one application ?

please,

an archaic company that needs to be phased out,

i worked in many graphic design houses,

and know the complications and impossibilities of just not using quark anymore,

fine,

teach your designers how to use id3,

start laying out all jobs in id3,
keep a copy of quark on the machine for old files that need to use it,

besides
id3 does import quark 4 . . . and does a pretty good job at it,

theirs no reason we should continue supporting a company
that barely supports the designers that use it . . .

lame company!

y dont u just put that quark where it belongs . . .

in ur as$

(sorry just had to say it ,haha)
- motech

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 07:06 PM

I've mentioned elsewhere that I would really like to see pop-up folders come back. Minimizing to the dock is no substitute.

Cheers
Scott

solusfides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
All I want is a better dock. Imagine how cool it would be if when iTunes was in the dock it had buttons that you could click to stop and skip etc. Holding down the menu is not the same thing as it takes longer and is annoying.
you are aware that OSX has always had native support for multiple button mice (32 different types of mouseclicks, to be exact... this came from its NeXT OS roots). Thus, instead of holding down the menu, just right-click and be done with it right away.

I havn't used the one-button mouse in..... 7 years? ( wow, time flys)
-< Think Metanoia >-

Aglaea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by tae667:
- MSN support in iChat so Europeans can use iSight
This total nonsense was enough to make me register here...

Firstly, how dare you even suggest to have people use MSN? I have a Mac also to avoid crappy Billyware! Even though I would have favored ICQ, I can live with AIM. All but MSN messenger (MSN in itself is something different).

Secondly, do you think that Europeans are all retards that only use or know MSN? Here we can all use ICQ, AIM, Yahoo! messenger and (sadly) MSN Messenger.

Thirdly, why shouldn't Europeans be able to use iSight? It's available here in Europe, so we can use it... The world is bigger than the US you know (luckily).

What they SHOULD work on is integration between iChat and 'normal' AIM clients. When somebody tried to voice chat with me through AIM he got it was not supported by my client...

krove
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Aglaea:
This total nonsense was enough to make me register here...

Firstly, how dare you even suggest to have people use MSN? I have a Mac also to avoid crappy Billyware! Even though I would have favored ICQ, I can live with AIM. All but MSN messenger (MSN in itself is something different).

Secondly, do you think that Europeans are all retards that only use or know MSN? Here we can all use ICQ, AIM, Yahoo! messenger and (sadly) MSN Messenger.

Thirdly, why shouldn't Europeans be able to use iSight? It's available here in Europe, so we can use it... The world is bigger than the US you know (luckily).

What they SHOULD work on is integration between iChat and 'normal' AIM clients. When somebody tried to voice chat with me through AIM he got it was not supported by my client...
Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Tom C
May 10, 2004, 03:47 PM

Am I the only one who remembers the Location Manager from OS 9?

Unlike the current OS X location setting, which only controls the network configuration, the OS 9 Location Manager also controlled the default printer, the time zone, and other things. It was a big help for laptop users.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:06 PM

As for those of you who are suggesting a home theatre app, I don't know how doable that would be, as far as things like DVDs go because of the way they're copy-written and protected

MrToast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2004, 05:00 PM

You can do this already. Open up NetInfo Manager. Go to the Securities menu, and click "Authenticate". Enter your root password. Then go back to the Securities menu and choose "Enable Root User". Then go to SysPrefs and select the option to login with a list of users.

When you log out, you'll see one of the options to log in as is "root". Now when you login as root, it'll know you're root and won't bug you as much as a "doof" user.

Enjoy!

MrToast

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by MrToast:
You can do this already. Open up NetInfo Manager. Go to the Securities menu, and click "Authenticate". Enter your root password. Then go back to the Securities menu and choose "Enable Root User". Then go to SysPrefs and select the option to login with a list of users.

When you log out, you'll see one of the options to log in as is "root". Now when you login as root, it'll know you're root and won't bug you as much as a "doof" user.

Enjoy!

MrToast
This is bad advice. Don't do this!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

brucewayne
May 10, 2004, 06:07 PM

I know one rumour is that it will contain a Utility very similar to DiskWarrior.

My apologies if this has already been mentioned. My eyes got bleery trying to follow all of this thread so I might have missed a few.

Oops
17" 1GHz FP iMac OS 10.3.3, 80GB Lacie, 333MHz iMac, 160GB, OS 9.2.2, Epson Perfection 1250, Canoscan N656U, imation Superdisk drive, two Epson i740's, one Canon i450, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
This is bad advice. Don't do this!
It is what he wants, so he should do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules