Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > halo on new PB

halo on new PB
reemas
Senior User
May 12, 2004, 10:21 PM

i just got halo and a new 15" pb 1.5 ghz with 128vram and a 5200rpm drive.

i have to say it runs poorly in the mid range settings on the native resolution of 1280x852 or whaqtever it is.

anyways, can anyone tell me the best settings for halo on your powerbook? how high can you push it to, where it runs perfectly fine?

thanks.

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 10:26 PM

Make sure you have your performance preference in the Energy Saver preferences set to 'Highest'.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2004, 10:32 PM

thanks for that tip. i forgot to check and it was on custom. i was palying around with it the other day.

but still will that make a difference? i'll try it now, but i doubt itll help much. what settings do you use ??

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 12, 2004, 11:28 PM

works fine on my powerbook 12" 1ghz. i use pretty much maxed out and if works fine.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

AgBlue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
works fine on my powerbook 12" 1ghz. i use pretty much maxed out and if works fine.
Hey Rag,

Could you post your system specs? I have a new 1.5ghz PB w/128mb and I would have to agree that it does run pretty bad. Maybe it's the resolution? It's definitely unplayable at full native res. I would be decent when reduced down to 800x600. Certainly not with maxed out settings.

Anyway you can do a time demo and post the results? Thanks.

Agblue

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
You must have the graphics settings set low and not know it. That plus it is running at the lowest resolution. Halo doesn't run well on any powerbook with the details maxed out.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Tom Rudderham
May 13, 2004, 10:19 AM

Maxed out the settings (apart from Lens Flare which cripples the game!) and it plays as smooth as butter. Except from some areas in open levels where there are dozens of characters. Drop dead gorgeous too!
Remember - Set Lens Flare to low or it'll be unplayable!
Tom,
http://www.taranimationstudios.com/
1 Ghz TiBook (15")

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 02:20 PM

Bunch o' Macs

Here you go on the Rev B PB's as well as some other comps. I run Halo at 800 x 600, everything either off or on low with my Rev B 12" and get pretty decent framerates, good enough to own people in multiplayer.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

s0litude
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 02:26 PM

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, and I love my powerbook to pieces, but if you want to play halo, why don't you just buy an xbox? Besides, halo 2 is coming out soon.

If its because of portability, then i understand... But if you bought a powerbook to play video games, i would have to say not a good move.
Hi!

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, and I love my powerbook to pieces, but if you want to play halo, why don't you just buy an xbox? Besides, halo 2 is coming out soon.

If its because of portability, then i understand... But if you bought a powerbook to play video games, i would have to say not a good move.
I agree. Halo on the Xbox not only performs better than on the PowerBook, but it looks better because all the graphics settings are on.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 04:26 PM

I agree. Halo on the Xbox not only performs better than on the PowerBook, but it looks better because all the graphics settings are on.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 04:33 PM

1.) The reason to have a PowerBook is ability to travel with it and not just use it at home. You can't do that with an Xbox.
2.) I don't give money to Microsoft unless I absolutely have to, and then only as little as possible.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Tom Rudderham:
Maxed out the settings (apart from Lens Flare which cripples the game!) and it plays as smooth as butter. Except from some areas in open levels where there are dozens of characters. Drop dead gorgeous too!
Remember - Set Lens Flare to low or it'll be unplayable!
same here. if you dont run at native res btw, it emulates smaller size, which makes it run slower.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
1.) The reason to have a PowerBook is ability to travel with it and not just use it at home. You can't do that with an Xbox.
2.) I don't give money to Microsoft unless I absolutely have to, and then only as little as possible.
If traveling with the PowerBook to play games with sub par performance is entertaining to you, so be it.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 02:22 AM

It's entertaining to me, and so is being able to edit video working in illustrator and photoshop and listening to my songs while surfing the net and IMing my friends on the go. Go do that with your xbox. I love the xbox but my Powerbook does alot and Halo works just fine on my machine, people need to realize that fun factor makes great games not graphics, graphics are just icing on the cake when it comes to a great game.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2004, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
It's entertaining to me, and so is being able to edit video working in illustrator and photoshop and listening to my songs while surfing the net and IMing my friends on the go. Go do that with your xbox. I love the xbox but my Powerbook does alot and Halo works just fine on my machine, people need to realize that fun factor makes great games not graphics, graphics are just icing on the cake when it comes to a great game.
Couldnt agree more
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I don't have to use my XBox as a computer. I have a PowerBook for that. Once you've played the XBox version of Halo (which is over 2 years old BTW), playing it on a PowerBook is unbearable.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

iomatic
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 02:41 PM

riotge@r <-- missing the point

*sigh*

Originally posted by riotge@r:
I don't have to use my XBox as a computer. I have a PowerBook for that. Once you've played the XBox version of Halo (which is over 2 years old BTW), playing it on a PowerBook is unbearable.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
riotge@r <-- missing the point

*sigh*
I see your point. For me, Halo sucks on my PowerBook and isn't worth playing.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2004, 03:14 PM

i play Halo on my PB online quite a lot and with P&V shaders on, 2x FSAA and medium on the other details at screens native res, and it plays fine with good FPS and looks great. Halo is very playable on the new PBs but dont expect to be able to max out the settings!!

I am comparing this to playing on an 800MHz iMac though

As every1 else said, if you want to play games buy a games console...thats wot there there for!
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 05:36 PM

unless your parents wont let you have one like mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules