Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrade a 500 Tibook with a combo drive?

Upgrade a 500 Tibook with a combo drive?
raferx
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 01:38 AM

Anyone done this?

This model (Apple branded)MATSUSHITA CW-8121 NIB (4131152358)
is for sale on ebay, the seller says it will work in any PBook... but I wonder?

Bueller?

Cheers,
raferx

Dr.Michael
May 14, 2004, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by raferx:
Anyone done this?

This model (Apple branded)MATSUSHITA CW-8121 NIB (4131152358)
is for sale on ebay, the seller says it will work in any PBook... but I wonder?

Bueller?

If your dvd drive broke its at least a good idea not to buy the original drive again because it will break again soon (at least mine did). It seems that the first series developes an alignment problem.

The combo drive requires a special mounting kit. If this is not included in the auction, don't buy before you have found a place to buy it separately.

MCE (http://www.mcetech.com/) offers complete combo/superdrive solutions for TiBooks.

m@
May 14, 2004, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
It seems that the first series developes an alignment problem.
Do you have anymore information on this? Or remember where you found this information. My DVD drive no-longer reads the second layer of a DVD's and makes a horrible clicking sound when it tries. Is this the same problem?

m
m@

Dr.Michael
May 14, 2004, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by m@:
Do you have anymore information on this? Or remember where you found this information. My DVD drive no-longer reads the second layer of a DVD's and makes a horrible clicking sound when it tries. Is this the same problem?

m
No, the problem is that the ti drive stops recognizing dvds and cds at all. Makes horribly cracking sounds while spitting them out. Eject is often only possible with the emergency button.

The alignment is my own diagnostics. But whatever it is, the drive has to be exchanged. I got a second drive for my ti and it developed the same problem.

I found problem reports in the net but I have sold my tibook and don't remember where it was. Maybe you can try macfixit. Sporadic reports occur on this site or at the apple forum site.

raferx  (op)
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
If your dvd drive broke its at least a good idea not to buy the original drive again because it will break again soon (at least mine did). It seems that the first series developes an alignment problem.

The combo drive requires a special mounting kit. If this is not included in the auction, don't buy before you have found a place to buy it separately.

MCE (http://www.mcetech.com/) offers complete combo/superdrive solutions for TiBooks.
That's sweet Doc... I appreciate the link!

Cheers,
raferx

Forum Links
Forum Rules