Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any experience with buy.com?

Any experience with buy.com?
s0litude
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 01:18 AM

I posted this on the peripherals forum, but i figure, since i'm buying stuff for my powerbook, i guess it belongs here too. I was just wondering if anyone has bought anything from buy.com, any good or bad experiences? Thanks in advance!
Hi!

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 01:26 AM

they look reliable, but then again so did applepurchaseprogram.com, but they arent selling macs at half price either.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2004, 07:00 AM

The last time I used buy.com I had a very bad experience.
I don't remember what I was buying but the price was fair so I decided to buy it. at the very last second when I pushed the confirm to buy button a handling charge of something like $7 popped up so I quickly pressed the back buttom.
Luckily I wea able to stop the transaction, I think that was very underhanded to do.
Also if you check resellerratings.com: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2107.html
they have a very low 3.7 rating.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 11:27 AM

I bought some electronic stuff through them a few years back and had a great experience. Don't know if things have worsened since then. It's difficult to gauge a retailer based on seller rating because some psycho who had a bad experience can submit multiple bad comments and skew the ratings, so I don't depend on that too much. As always your experience may differ. Good luck shopping.

vexingv
May 16, 2004, 12:01 PM

i've bought a couple of things back in the day when buy.com first came out and my last purchase from there was about 2 yrs ago. as one of the big etailers out there, they are fairly reliable. with my last order, i got an item that was obviously opened and used already. a quick phone call and i had a printed return label in my email 5 min later. the return on that process though did take over a month.

check out buy.com's reseller rating. its 3.69 which is pretty low i guess.

btw unless you happen to find a good deal, buy.com's prices tend to be pretty average. if you dont mind my asking, what powerbook peripherals do you plan to get from buy.com?

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 12:30 PM

I purchased a NetGear wireless router through them about 6 months ago. It was about $30 cheaper after shipping than anywhere else at the time. I agree that their prices are about average unless you can't find something with a rebate. I had no problems and they shipped very fast. I would have no problem buying from them again.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2004, 02:10 PM

We regularly purchase from them. Their name brand ink and print media prices are almost always very competitive and they ship quickly.

Zim
Senior User
May 17, 2004, 02:31 PM

I've used them with mixed success.

My only "bad" experience, was on one of their "deal of the day" items... it ended up way-oversold, and nearly one month later I noticed that my order had been cancelled. Nothing I terribly needed, but still not confidence inspiring.

Double check the shipping/handling thing too.. at one point (it may have been someone else), one of the bigger e-tailers had free "shipping", but some nasty "handling" charges.

Best of luck,
Mike

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 03:08 PM

I made a purchase on April 12 this year and have yet to recieve the product or a refund, so based on personal experiences I would not recommend them to others.

Finding any real help is a real challenge. I am starting to wonder if they have any customer service at all. Their support email address is buried under a couple menus, and I have yet to find a phone number to contact them (does one even exist?).

I'll agree that the prices are very competitive, but I'm sure they are skimping somewhere... If your purchase gets shipped as intended and doesn't get lost like mine, I'm sure it will be fine.

Not sure how my situation will play out, so I will keep you all posted. I have sent 5 emails so far seeking to resolve the issue and have recieved 3 automated responses saying its in the process of being looked at, etc.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 03:20 PM

Buy.com is awesome.

Purchased my IBM T41 from them and had it in 2 days...highly recommended.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2004, 03:26 PM

They will spam you with "offers" forever, once you buy.

Cliff_O
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 03:30 PM

Their customer service is terrible and the only means of contact you have with them is through email. I had a problem with some software I bought from them and had to eat the cost of the software. I regularly bought items from them prior to that, but nothing since.
MBP 15" - 2.33Ghz C2D-3GB RAM-120GB HD
PB 15"-1.25GHz G4-1.5GB RAM-80GB HD-Superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules