Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ADC Hardware Purchase Program

ADC Hardware Purchase Program
roffle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2004, 12:02 AM

Hi, I will be going to college this fall and am looking to buy a 15 inch powerbook. I want to use the ADC Purchase Program and was wondering if all I had to do was sign up for an online membership. Thanks in advance.

nate_02
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 12:10 AM

apply first, pay $150 (or whatever the fee is), then you're all set to go.

to apply, you'll need to fax proof that you're a student, like an ID and a schedule.
-nate

s0litude
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 12:47 AM

Why don't your just use your education discount?? The prices are very competitive.
Hi!

SnakeEyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2004, 01:35 AM

The Student ADC program is twice as good as the education deal....i saved literally 20% on a system compared to 10% on an educational price. Mine as well sign up if you're looking to spend a considerable amount of money.

roffle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2004, 02:41 AM

does anyone know what the exact fee is?

0s and 1s
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 03:19 AM

$99 for ADC. I purchased it to purchase a 1.5 PB for $2150. Keep in mind that the discount (hardware) is good for ONE purchase. It doesn't matter if you're a member for years! So you better use that discount WISELY!! Expect a welcome pack w/ complete 10.3 OS install, shirt, and other goodies. Also, someone mentioned we'll get Tiger for free when it's released.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 09:18 AM

You usually get new OS releases for free while you're an ADC member. I recieved a copy of Panther in this fashion.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by 0s and 1s:
$99 for ADC. I purchased it to purchase a 1.5 PB for $2150. Keep in mind that the discount (hardware) is good for ONE purchase. It doesn't matter if you're a member for years! So you better use that discount WISELY!! Expect a welcome pack w/ complete 10.3 OS install, shirt, and other goodies. Also, someone mentioned we'll get Tiger for free when it's released.
I only see the standar $500 buck a year....where is the $99..is that a student ADC program? Cause I am a student and it would be nice to join if it was only $99....link?

Thanks

nate_02
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
I only see the standar $500 buck a year....where is the $99..is that a student ADC program? Cause I am a student and it would be nice to join if it was only $99....link?

Thanks
http://developer.apple.com/students/
-nate

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2004, 10:21 AM

Thanks Nate_02,

Does anyone know if you have to be into specific programs ie. computer engineering to qualify for the ADC student program. I would love to join, but I am a Mechanical Engineer major...

Thanks again.

Turias
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 10:24 AM

When I joined, they asked for a copy of a current transcript that showed I was taking at least one Computer Science course. If you can swing a mechanical engineering course as a computer hardware engineering course, you might be ok.

AgBlue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 04:10 PM

I'm not sure if they really do check the courses. Of course it could come up later if they do. When I got mine, my schedule didn't really have any distinctive computer engineering courses listed, although I am an comp engineering student. It could come up afterwards if they dig into it I think.

Also, it's really easy to get and setup. I bought the $99 package, and then verifed the account later that day by faxing them a schedule my drivers license and school id. Then I called them about 30 mins after the fax, and the guy on the phone went to the fax machine, retreived my fax, and verifed it within 5 minutes. After that, it said my account was verified, and there's a thing called Assets that you get.

NOTE: As a student developer, you will NOT be able to see the "Apple Hardware Discount" asset on your assets page. Took me a while to see that it said this on one of the other pages. As long as you the pending status removed from your account, then you can make your purchase.

Anyway, have fun on your new powerbook. The discount was totall worth it. It saved me about 400 bucks more over the edu discount. Anyway, enjoy.

Agblue

Forum Links
Forum Rules