Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I buy the Powerbook?

Should I buy the Powerbook?
Phrixus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 08:38 AM

Hi all,

Having spent many hours browsing, this is my first post in these forums (Second actually but I changed the title!)! I could use some help and info.

Here is the situation:
I have a number of PC's running Linux, Win2K and WinXP. Most of the hardware is relatively up to date and they get used for web design, file storage and recording television when I am at work. I generally spend most of my time on the net working on personal projects, video editing and working in photoshop.

Here is the problem:
Now that I am getting old (23), I am getting really fed-up sitting next to a jet liner... I need my peace and quiet! I think I have fallen in love with the Powerbooks, just how gorgeous are they!?! And I would like to be able to do more writing, digital photography and web design on the road (my current laptop's battery is dead!)!

My idea:
I am going to move all of my PC hardware out of my room and buy a 15" Powerbook (1G RAM/128MB Graphics/ 5400 HD) and also a 23" HP monitor which I plan to mount on the wall. I am also considering one of those iCurve bases to help the styling and cooling!

My question:
Do I have a good idea?
Is there any performance difference between the 15" and 17" Powerbooks?
Will I be able to do everything I could on a PC and will it be vitually silent??
I play UT2004 a lot... will the Powerbook cope and how good can I expect the graphics to be on the 23" monitor?

Any other advice or suggestions will be welcome as I am only starting to learn about Apple computers. This is the final barrier before I take the plunge and switch platforms!!!

peterwynne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 09:14 AM

** Do I have a good idea?

Yes, a very good idea. I was in a very similar situation myself - using PCs for the same applications. I ran WinXP for a bit of web dev, photography - digi & regular, music playing & creating and DVD player. I wanted the PB to take over from big/noisey/space-hungry/ugly PCs.
I got a 12" PB and it does everything I had 2 PCs to do before. It's quiet [my room is 12' by 12' and I can't hear a thing when I'm at the otherside of the room]. Its quick - I really multi-task, Powerbook screen and a 18" Eizo LCD screen together to make a very usable multi-monitor desktop.

** Is there any performance difference between the 15" and 17" Powerbooks?

Look at the specs - there are diferences in processor speeds, graphics and other bits - you may want to go for a 15 or 17" if you really need the better ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. I use the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 for Halo and it works perfectly well

** Will I be able to do everything I could on a PC and will it be vitually silent??

I sleep in the room that my Powerbook is in - I have to timed to come on before I get up - which means it can start up without waking me [which is quite a feat]. Its the streaming net radio that wakes me up I could never ever considered that with my PC.

** I play UT2004 a lot... will the Powerbook cope and how good can I expect the graphics to be on the 23" monitor?

In the PB information page on the Apple Site it boasts about UT2004 performance and says this : "Quake III Arena version 1.32, in millions of colours, at 1024-by-768 resolution, all PowerBook G4 models blaze away at over 100 frames per second ". Graphics are second to none on my Eizo 18" - I can't complain at all!

Go for it - the only thing I can see that would sway you would be the graphics card spec versus screensize and portability.

Phrixus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 10:56 AM

Thanks peterwynne,

I am getting more and more certain that that is the way I am going to go!

You have the laptop stream net radio to wake you up!?!? Is that easy to set up?? Sounds very cool!! It is something I am sure I could do with the PC but for the same reasons as you, I havent tried it!!

I have read the specs on Apple.com, I just wondered what the real world preformance was in games! Apple will undoubtedly turn down all the settings to make the frame rate higher and I would want to do the opposite!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Phrixus:
Hi all,

Here is the problem:
Now that I am getting old (23)I play UT2004 a lot... will the Powerbook cope and how good can I expect the graphics to be on the 23" monitor?

Dude, I wish I was 23 but by your reckoning of course I must be ancient (40) in your eyes.

I have a 1.25 15" PB and UT2004 plays very well. I cannot say if its slow compare to a pc but using normal detail settings I have no lags.

Mike

Phrixus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 11:30 AM

Thanks Mike,
Thats the important thing. Although it was suggested that I keep a PC hidden under the desk to play games (A good idea that I will probably do now!), my thoughts now are when everyone gathers in a lounge somewhere with their PC towers, monitors etc... I wondered if I could get away with pulling out my new PBAl 15" and not only look cool... but also make sure that the machine can handle it... can you imagine the stick I would get being the guy with the Mac that cant keep up with the PC's!?!?!

peterwynne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 11:34 AM

"You have the laptop stream net radio to wake you up!?!? Is that easy to set up?? Sounds very cool!! It is something I am sure I could do with the PC but for the same reasons as you, I havent tried it!!"

Alarm Clock Pro is what you need never even considered it with my PC - but am sure they are similar apps on Windows platform..

Forum Links
Forum Rules