Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New eMac - Display problem (resolution)

New eMac - Display problem (resolution)
babble
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 05:41 PM

Hey guys!

Got my new eMac two weeks ago and I have a problem. Wanted to know if you guys had the same and if you found the solution.

When my eMac changes screen resolutions in either iTunes (when putting the visuals full screen), from sleep or in games (halo) and that I want to come back, the screens goes black, everything freezes and I need to do a physical forced shut down.

I called Apple and whe were able to figure that it was an extensions conflict (started up with Shift hold on). But, my problem is, this occured from day one, before I installed anything. So the conflicted extensions comes either from an Apple application or from one bundled in. And I can't figure out which one it is and I don't want to do a clean install.

So could anyone who just bought the latest eMac (superdrive, 1.25) check this out and give me their comments?

Thank's

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 07:22 PM

Okay... this is unfortunately why we techs tend to think of Apple tech support as a bunch of morons.

OS X does not have extensions conflicts like OS 9. When you boot up holding down the shift key, the extensions are disabled. However, these are kernel extensions which are strictly drivers. You don't have "conflicts" between kernel extensions. However, your video drivers are no longer loaded. Therefore, this could be a corrupt driver or a bad logic board. The first thing to check is to see what happens when you boot off of a different install of the OS. (firewire drive, another Mac in firewire target disk mode, etc...) If the problem goes away, it was clearly software. If the problem persists, it's not the OS. Try a PMU reset (check Apple's knowledge base). If this doesn't fix it, you likely have a bad logic board.

Or, you could take the eMac back to wherever you got it and say it was DOA as it did this out of the box... see what they do.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

babble  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 08:44 PM

Thank's Detrius for your quick answer.

I can't boot off of a different install of the OS. Since I don't have any other Mac or firewire drive.

I'll go check on Apple's KB to do a PMU reset, whatever this is???

I sure hope I don'T have a bad logic board... I'll come back to post with my results.

babble  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 09:09 PM

Okay, did the PMU reset. Didn't solve my problem.

You talked about bad video drivers. Isn't there a way to update or replace it? I'd like to check that out first before going bak to Apple or to the store where I bought my Mac.

Thank's again for your help and information.

babble  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 09:16 PM

Me again.

I went in my system library to have a look at the video drivers I have. I found that I have some for ATI Radeon 8500 & ATI Radeon 9700. But, my eMac has a ATI Radeon 9200 video card. Could this be the problem? Am I looking at the right place?

babble  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2004, 08:53 PM

Could anyone help me?

Please!

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by babble:
Me again.

I went in my system library to have a look at the video drivers I have. I found that I have some for ATI Radeon 8500 & ATI Radeon 9700. But, my eMac has a ATI Radeon 9200 video card. Could this be the problem? Am I looking at the right place?
Let me clear this up for you:
The Radeon 9000, 9200, 8500 uses Radeon 8500 drivers
The Radeon 9600, 9700, and 9800 uses Radeon 9700 drivers
The original Radeon, 7500, and 7000 uses regular Radeon drivers

In your case in the system profiler>extensions> under Radeon 8500, it should be listed as "yes" under "loaded" then that means your video driver is loaded.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by babble:
Okay, did the PMU reset. Didn't solve my problem.

You talked about bad video drivers. Isn't there a way to update or replace it? I'd like to check that out first before going bak to Apple or to the store where I bought my Mac.

Thank's again for your help and information.
The latest version of the drivers is generally always included with the OS, so an OS reinstall would be the option, since you have no other drives or machines to boot off of.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

babble  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2004, 08:16 PM

MacGallant, yep it's loaded. Thank's for the info.

Detrius. I guess that's what I'll have to do. But I don't feel like backing everything up for now. I know I'll lose some info that I want to keep. But thank's for all your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules